Pregnancy 18-24 Community
getting pregnant after the depo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

getting pregnant after the depo

hey everyone im new here but it looks like you all give some great advice. i know there have been alot of questions about getting pregnant after the depo shot but id figured id ask mine anyway. i started taking the shot in oct.07 and didnt go back for my shot this month (july 08) i havent gotten a period yet but i have been cramping like i should get it. my boyfiend and i want another baby so we were wondering how long its going to take. most things i read said it was going to take 6-18months we were really hoping not to wait that long. does anyone have any advice on how to speed things up or are we just going to have to wait and see....
I was on the shot for 3 years.  It has been about a year for me and I am now able to TTC.  Then again, it is different for every body.  I know that the chances of you getting pregnant without a period are slim to none, at least what my dr. told me.  I was told to wait and see.  Anyways, good luck and lots of baby dust!!!!
I was on Depo for 3 years as well. My OBGYN said I was one of the lucky ppl who got they're period the month I missed my depo. However it was a week or two later than I expected it.

I also had to deal with VERY tender nipples and BB's and things like that. It was like PMS from H*ll.

The average time to get pregnant after Depo is 6-12 months. My OBGYN actually told me to get on BC right after I have my son because he consideres me to be very fertile. (We BD 1 time 3 days before I ovulated.. and got the happy suprise of being pregnant)

I did go on nuvaring for 3 months after depo, and then used NFP or natural family planning for another 2-3months before getting pregnant. so my timing was about 6 months after depo.

If you want to find out if your ovulating then use OPK's. they'll tell you definitely. the reason women take so long after depo to get pregnant is they're bodies dont' ovulate like they should at first.
I was on depo for over a year and my dr sd not to expect anything for about 9 months after I quit taking it. Sure enough 9 months later I ended up prego!!
we are keeping our fingers crossed and doing alot of trying....someone suggested that i try useing an ovulation calendar but im not sure how i go about this since i have no idea when the first day of my last period was also i did have some light spotting about 2 weeks after my shot was due...does this make any differance?
i was on depo for 9 months, have been of it now for almost 5 months. and i am trying and nothing. it could take a long time you might find yourself pregnant next week. it just depends on your body. be patient.
i was on depo for two years. i got off the depo in january 2007. i then went onto the pill which i stoped taking in october, i had my period in november and i was pregnant the next cycle. i was recomended to go on the pill to regulate my cycles after depo.
i was hoping not to have to go on the pill but if thats what it takes then i may just do it
im just like you i have 2 shots of depo but never went back for my next shot that was last september i have been trying for a baby since then and still not pregnant my periods came back straight away i thought i would be quick to fall pregnant because i fell quick with my other to but this time because i was on the depo it has messed up my body and im still tryin so keep tryin it will happen good luck
I did not have a good experience with the Depo shot at all...I took it twice and bled for almost a year finally my OB did an D & C, put me on hormones and then a different B/C that was 7 years ago and Im just now pregnat...not saying that will happen to you but I had hard time and I would never recomend that shot to anyone, but I had friends that did great with it...1 that even got pregnant while on it.
I'm sure it just depends on the body.  I had horrible bb's and cramps about a week before I even got my period.  My body is right back on track and O is right on time!!  Just let your body run it's course.  Frustrating...I KNOW!!  Me and DH have been TTC for 6 months.  This past week, however, I've been having stretching feelings by my ovaries and a headache everyday I wake up.  I'm keeping it a secret from him to prevent his feelings getting crushed.  But, it will take time.  You never know when your little surprise will happen!  Just have fun and enjoy it!!
it definetly depends on the person. Me i took it off and on for 4yrs and it took my 7 months just have my AF again!! its been 5yrs for me and im still not pregnant!! I agree with pmperez i would not recommend that shot to any1 the things u read online are horrible! My SIL though had much better luck than me she only took it for one year and AF's were irregular she says she just kept taking HPTs and 1yr later she got a BFP!
I was on Depo from October 1998 through October of 2006. I became pregnant in November of 2006, but miscarried in December of 2006. This was due to my body not producing the hormones it needed to sustain a pregnancy. Pretty much that is what the depo does. I did not ovulate again until August of 2007. I then became pregnant again in December 2007, but miscarried in March 2008. I then had one period and became pregnant again. I am currently 16 weeks and 5 days. It has taken me over a year to be able to sustain a pregnancy after depo. It is a hard road. My advice is to start charting. You may have a period but not be ovulating. The only way to know if you are ovulating is if you chart. I used fertility friend *******. They have free charting software but I found the membership perks were great. It had a lot more detailed information for TTC'ers. If you have any questions about the depo and TTC after depo, please feel free to IM me. I spent a lot of time doing research and talking to others just like me. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. Just keep in mind even taking one shot of depo can leave you infertile for 6 months to a year and in some cases as long as two or more years. There is a 5-10% chance that it could take longer than 5 years. I don't want to scare you or break your spirit, but rather give you realistic information.
so i guess to start charting my ovulation i have to wait until i have real period instead of the spotting i had......is there anyway i could be ovulating with out a period??? how effective are those home ovulation test?
with out a period no i dont think so but like i said my SIL was having them but irregular and she still got preggers after 1yr!
I agree with pmperez and gokuangel....I would not recommend the depo shot to anyone.  From what I've heard, worst case scenario....some women are never able to have children every.(don't want to scare you tho!!)  I would chart what CM looks like to get a better understanding of when O occurs.  Otherwise just keep track of your spotting, that may be leading to something bigger!!
well i guess im going to start trying to chart my ovulation....do you suppose starting to take vitamins and eating heathier well help any too??
HIYA ALL!!  I stopped having the depo in  2008.  I was supposed to go and have it on April 30th  and decided not to. I had no bleeding till October then I was bleeding  for two weeks at a time then not bleeding  for two weeks and then bleeding, you get the idea... during this time I had no cramping or anything.
     Anyway at the end of Jan 2009 I had a 5 day bleed with cramping and since then I have had a normal cycle between 28/31 days regular as clockwork.
Im still not pregnant, but I want to say it can take a year or maybe a little more after depo for normal fertility to return, everyone is different. Don't listen to a lot of the horror stories about infertility and such that you see on a lot of sites...because it can take a year for a normal fertile couple when no chemicals are involved at all... so be patient take your time and enjoy yourselfs when trying.....
I was on the depo birth control shot from jan 08 to november 08  i stopped reciving the shots for 11 months recently twomonths ago i got my first shot in a while and planning to go get the next one coming up  do to me bleedingfor a whole month and also to have a baby.
Even though it was only one shot will it still take 6-12 months to be able to conceive?
or could it possibly be shorterand easier?
i have been on the deppo for 7 years not one of the4 doctors that administered it told me of any of the adverse effects that may happen with this . i am now 22 and trying for a baby the last deppo that i recieved was in april or may of 2008 it is now march 2010 and i think iv just had my first period all be it only for 4 days lol im hoping that this will be a regular thing now and i can concieve (conceive) without any problems but am worried that its just a one off because my luck is just like that ... i hadnt heard of the deppo possibly causing mis carrages though if it does my doctors are gonna be facing some seriouse law suits . i hope all goes well for every bodie trying to concieve (conceive) and if any one has any hints on concieving a girl do let me know much love xxxx
i would like to have some adivce ... ive been on the depo shot for 2 yrs now i want to have another baby but i would like to know how long it will take for me to have my full periods back my last shot was due dec 2009 and now its been 7 months from the time i was suppose to go back which i didnt ... shoulds i be getting my preiods back anytime ? im not sure if i am pregnant right now ...
Was on Depo for five years last shot was April 2010.  Started taking pills only to start period which came Oct 2010. TTC cycles been regular since but  Jan 2011 spotted one day then second day went off came back spotted again on day 4.
i was on the depo shot for 6 months. when i got off the depo shot i had my period. im a month and half late does this mean im pregnant??