Pregnancy 18-24 Community
gunsss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

gunsss

So, tonight my fiance was sleeping and I was laying in bed with him when someone knocked on the door (around midnight) which freaked out my dogs so i woke him up super quick and we went into super high mode or something. he immediately grabbed two pistols, loaded one and gave it to me, loaded the other and put it in his pocket (safety on for anyone who would be like "omg he couldve shot himselff") and loaded a shotgun. haha. we ran downstairs and he opened the door and no one was there, so we checked the back and still nothing, so he walked around the house a few times lol. Still nothing. I'm 9 wks 5 days and am not sure if shooting a gun is bad, lol. like if it could harm the baby or if the baby could hear it or what. weve been wanting to go shooting this past weekend but couldnt and i wasnt feeling good so he just went to the range. But yeah, is it harmful at all or dangerous i guess?
For the record!! My fiance got his first gun when he was 4, hes been shooting ever since and my father is a police officer, been shooting since I was 6, got my first gun when I was 6. We both know gun safety and we wouldnt just shoot someone because they were at our door. But we werent gonna take the chance. Didnt think it was a girl scout thats for daammnn sure haha
Omg. I would be afraid to have guns in the house. I have never had guns in the house growing up so that makes sense. I don't know about shooting while pregnant, but i probably couldn't shoot straight lol!
Yeah we both grew up around them, the smell of someone cleaning their gun <3 brings back memories of when i was little.
i always said that if someone was going to hurt my baby, i wouldnt need a gun. id go batshit crazy but i am more comfortable with one. i guess i could google it huh :/
I'm terrified of guns...that's like my biggest fear. I'm sure there is a phobia but don't know what it is called. Lol I have a messed up logic about it and wont let hubby have one either.
I'm 11w 2d and I go hunting. I'm in the stand as much as possible. I told my OB and he didn't seem concerned! He just wanted to see pix of the 10 point I killed!!!!
I go shooting all the time. Last time I shot an AR15 Omg so much fun for a big gun.
I asked my midwife this very question (both my husband and i are avid shooters), she said no shooting due to the led in the ammo. Especially early on in the pregnancy, it can cause major birth defects
Thank you, mommy2b9! That was the answer I was looking for :)
@kailynjohnson thats awesome! Congrats on that! ive only gone rifle hunting a few times, mainly bow hunting for this gal.
@crsytl11 a lot of people are scared of guns, but i think thats mostly due to not knowing much about them. im scared of a gun in the wrong hands.
like i always say, if guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O Donnel fat ;)
I been shooting befor im sure was around my second tri but i shot a 22 riffel (sorry spelling) and my,baby is fine no harm done :) im not sure if the pisstel is a little stronger but in the safe side as
Better to ask
You are ok to shoot when preggo.  Ive been around guns my whole life as well...my dad ALWAYS ALWAYS had atleast one loaded (with the safety on).  
Tkenna that is hilarious....and yeah that is my problem. Never had been around them and it terrifies me to start now that I have kids. I don't know anything about the safety so I can imagine trying to teach my kids something I have no clue about. Yeah I believe guns don't kill people stupid people with them do...
The lead could cause damage if there is enough that gets to the baby. Try wearing gloves and a mask or something so as to not inhale it. I know in the middle of the night ur not gonna think about tha mask if ur trying to protect yourself. Also, studies have shown that if ur out shooting to stick with a smaller cal. And not to shoot tons of rounds. And to stay outside because of the better ventilation. I did a lot of research online. But, like I said, if ur just defending yourself, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Oops!! I shot my hubbys AR15 several times around 8-10 weeks...but everything is fine as far as I know lol. Guns aren't scary when used the right way :)
It may scary the baby. Last might someone popped a balloon n I felt her jump. But its also not like u n ur Hubby r shooting guns 24/7
Oh thanks ladies :) I think we may go shooting this weekend but that night when we thought someone was gonna bust in our house or something I had a slight thought like "am i even allowed to do this?" haha
mrsmount i had to reread what you wrote! I thought you said you shot your hubby!!! haha!!
I would go shooting with my daughter, at least once a week. My Dr said it would be a good idea to let hubby load the gun to limit your lead exposure. But we did it all the way until my third trimester. I stopped because she jumped so hard after every round it hurt, then it wasn't fun. But my nephew didn't and my sister went shooting 3 days before he was born. Our kids are happy healthy and smart. They are both pretty good shots now :)
Nooo, not yet! Haha just kidding!!! That is funny though. I prob should have re-worded that!! LOL
wow this is a bizzare post. im from England where even the police arent allowed to have guns.