Pregnancy 18-24 Community
how does pre-eclampsia onset?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

how does pre-eclampsia onset?

I am 36 weeks pregnant, have never had high blood pressure or protein in my urine, no problems at all with this pregnancy other than that the baby is measuring "big", 2-4 weeks ahead by ultrasound measures.  My hands and feet have been slightly swollen for a while now, but today my feet are HUGE, the tops are swollen so badly I can barely wear flip flops!!  What is going on??  COuld this be preeclampsia?  Can it be this sudden?  
I have a sono and a doc appt Monday, but I am really concerned and wondering, for those of you who have experienced it, how does pre-eclampsia come on??
Oh and with 4 other kids and a teaching job, putting my feet up is just not an option,  :(
Thanks for any advice/info!!  
You should be fine til monday.  Could be the first signs of it.  I had it with both of my kids and did not have a low lying placenta.  Every appt was completely normal until the last monday.  Went in and my blood pressure was up 20-30 points in both systolic and dyastolic.  And protein in my urine.  I was also retaining water really bad.  She had me come back Wednesday for a recheck and induced me on Friday.  I wouldnt worry about it, just take it easy and make sure you go Monday.  Good luck!
My understanding.is that the tell tale sign is a low laying placenta so if u had your normal ultrasounds then it should have been addressed then.
Oh! I didn't know those were associated at all! I was diagnosed with placenta previa early on but it went away. Will have to ask about this Mon. Thanks!
Sounds like pitted edema. Basically super swelling with water retention. If you push into your swollen feet does it pit? (Dip down)
i had pre-eclampsia really bad with my 1st baby and had her 9 weeks early. bp was sky high 4 pluses of protein swellin was ridiculous took me a long time to get well again after having the baby aswell. its best to get it checked out it can be fatal. i hope i avnt scared you my little girl was a tiny 3lb 6oz and in hospital for 6weeks but shes a healthy little 5 year old now.