PREGNANCY 18-24
COMMUNITY
how long after you lose your mucous plug?
by krissyy, Aug 12, 2008
hi!!  i just came from my first internal exam.  i am 1/2-1cm dialated and completely lost my mucous plug.  how long after you lose your plug do you typically go into labor?  should i be concerned about infection since the plug helps as protection to the baby?
Member Comments (15)
by LauraB78, Aug 12, 2008
I have NO idea to either question, but HOW EXCITING.. I found this...

What does the mucous plug look like?
Some women describe the mucous plug as looking more like the mucous in your nose. It may look like a thick glob of stringy mucous, thicker than what you would see with normal vaginal secretions. If you are close to going into labor you may see pink, brown, or red blood around the edges of the mucous plug. This is called the “bloody show”.

When do you lose your mucous plug?
Some women will lose their mucous plug or part of their mucous plug weeks before they go into labor. Losing your mucous plug does not always mean labor will begin shortly. Keep in mind that even if a woman has begun to dilate, it may be weeks before she actually goes into labor. However, if you notice blood tinged mucous before your thirty-sixth week of pregnancy, notify your doctor right away. As your body prepares for labor your cervix will begin to dilate and thin. As your cervix opens up, your mucous plug may fall out. Losing your mucous plug is a good sign that labor is on its way. Though, it could be days or even weeks after you lose your mucous plug before labor actually starts. Many women do not lose their mucous plug at one time; instead, they lose it more gradually. They may notice an increase in vaginal secretions weeks before they go into labor.

Should I call my doctor if I lose my mucous plug?
If you are full term and have lost your mucous plug, there is usually no need to call your doctor. You may lose your mucous plug weeks before labor starts. If you notice regular, timeable contractions after losing your mucous plug, follow your doctor’s protocol for proceeding to Labor and Delivery. If you have a history of preterm labor and you suspect you have lost your mucous plug, call your doctor right away. If you notice blood tinged mucous and are earlier than thirty-six weeks call your doctor immediately. Moreover, you should also call your doctor if you have sudden bright red bleeding. Bleeding can be a sign of placenta previa or placental abruption.

by shishka, Aug 12, 2008
I lost my mucous plug around 3pm and my water broke around 9 pm the same day. I had my baby 24 hours later. Good luck
by Brittney11, Aug 12, 2008
My sister lost her mucos plug and went to the doc and found out that she was dialated to 4 cm and 50 % effaced and come to find out she went into labor at 2 am the next morning. Good luck.
by krissyy, Aug 12, 2008
laura-thanks!!!  you are so quick to gather info, girl!!  

shishka-yikes!!!  your baby didn't waist anytime after he flicked the plug out!  i lost mine last night at around 10pm.

sounds like i could go today or a couple weeks from now!  ;-)  at least i know that things are moving right along :-)
by krissyy, Aug 12, 2008
oh my goodness!  i'm barely at 1cm now, so perhaps i still have some time...
by LauraB78, Aug 12, 2008
My boss it out today.. =)   hehe

Keep us posted!!
by LosingMyMindInGABlank, Aug 12, 2008
There is no set time limit.  Some women lose their plugs completely by 32 weeks and don't deliver until 40-41 weeks while others lose their plugs and go in within a few days.  Yet still, others don't lose theirs until they are actually in full labor.
by shishka, Aug 12, 2008
When I went to the hospital I was only 1cm dialated.
by karma5000, Jan 23, 2010
I'm been 1cm dilated, baby's head stationed at -1 since week 36 and I'm now at week 40+3 days.  I read that the plug can rebuild its self, not sure how true that could be.  At 36 weeks the dr told me I would go into labour within the next 2 weeks, so really there is no true sign of labour coming until you get those timable contractions 4-5 min apart lasting 1min.
I'm not trying to sound like I'm crushing your excitement I really hope you go in soon because I know how it is to get to your due date and nothing.  But I dont want you to feel like I did and get super happy and excited, tell everyone its soon then yo stay home because you're afraid to start active labour in public out somewhere especially when your alone, then nothing happens and you hear constantly "THAT BABY ISNT OUT YET?" or "YOUR STILL AROUND?" doesn't sound too bad but once you hear it daily a million times you just want everyone to be quiet.
I dont know how much you lose for a mucus plug, I hear you can lose it slowly or in 1 shot.  I lost some today so hope thats a good sign for me since I'm late.  I hope you had your baby wonderfully.  Update us on how long it took from your post to the birth please.