Pregnancy 18-24 Community
how many of what size diapers will i need?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

ok so im trying to stock up ahead of time on diapers but im not sure of a few things since this is my first!
so what i would like to know is:
- how many diapers is the average to go throught in a weeks time
- how long do baby's stay in one size
- what brands worked the best for you

i know that all babies grow at differnt rates but im just looking for the average...

so far i only have 1 (216) box of size 1's and 2(84) size bags of size1's and a small (24) pack of NB ( it came with a diaper bag!

so how many of each size should i get, im looking to have enofe for NB,size 1, and size 2 just to last me the first bit!

oh and one more question that i forgot...how fast do babies gain weight? and i know its normal in the first few days for the baby to loose a little bit of weight and im wondering about how much they lose?

thanks
It really just depends on your baby's size when they are born. Most babies where newborn diapers for at least the first week or two, some maybe longer if they are premature or underweight. My son is now 2 so it's kind of hard to remember how many diapers he went through as an infant but I would say they go through probably around 6-8 diapers a day, maybe less maybe more depending on the baby. They gain weight pretty quickly. My son is 2 and is in size 5 diapers & by the time he was one he was wearing size 3. I would say to get at least another pack of newborn diapers and it really depends on your child after that with their weight gain and everything. I would suggest pampers newborn for infants & after that we tried all other brands, which now we use the store brand because he gets rashes easily but luvs seem to be great diapers. They hold really well. I don't suggest huggies just in my opinion because they are expensive plus they don't hold very much. I hope this helped you some & congrats on your lil one!
I would not get more than one NB pack, just in case! Some babies grow out of those so fast. Here are my answers to your questions, based on my personal experience:

- how many diapers is the average to go through in a weeks time    
Babies go through about 10-12 diapers a DAY, so times that by 7

- how long do baby's stay in one size
Depends on their size, their growth and what age they are. My girls were in size 1 for about a month. Size 2 for about 1-2 months. Then they stayed in size 3 for a long time.

- what brands worked the best for you
This is a difficult question because each baby is different. I personally like Huggies for girls. But I know many women who have boys and prefer Pampers. I absolutely hate Luvs (worst diaper rashes you'd ever see, and they smell all chemically). I have heard Target brand diapers are really good but have yet to try them.

Buy diapers from Walmart or someplace where you can exchange them if baby ends up growing out of them.

So far I have:
1 pack NB
4 packs size 1
6 packs size 2
4 boxes of Pampers Sensitive wipes (seriously THE BEST wipes)
I think i used 2 packs of NB, not counting the ones from the hospital.  They gave me Pampers, which i LOVE.  When my kids get older, i buy the cheap diapers from Walmart, they work just as well for an older baby, i think.  But i like Pampers for the little ones, AND they have this yellow line that turns green so you can tell if they are wet.  Love it!

I expect to be using size 1s for at least 2 months. if not more, tho i do have some size 2s on hand.

If you breastfeed, expect to use 10-12 diapers a day, seriously, almost 2 packs a week.  I don't think formula fed babies go thru quite as many, if i remember right.

I was lucky to get quite a few packs as gifts, too.
I agree with JoyRenee about the wipes, Pampers sensitive are soooooo great!!! But to contradict some posts, my son stayed in NB diapers for the first month, then moved on to size 1 for a month or two, and stayed in 2 until he was about 5 months old, moved to 3 for a couple months, then to 4 and now at 14 months, we just started buying size 5. He's really tall and skinny, has been since he was born, he's never been a chubby baby, but he eats and eats and eats. So it really does depend on your baby, and how fast they grow. My son was 7lbs 10oz when he came out but dropped to 6lbs 3oz I think, and he was 21 1/2 inches long. I used Pampers swaddlers for him for sizes NB/1, and Huggies natural fit after, and still use Huggies now. I loved the Pampers swaddlers, they're the only ones my son didn't leak through, by the way if you're having a boy, point "it" down when you close the diaper!!! (they pee straight up and out of the diaper if you don't lol) Also I have to disagree with jenkayne21, I had issues breast feeding, and supplemented with formula up until 6 weeks when I went strictly to bottle, and my son went  through at least 10 diapers a day from day one.
I just wanted to add that my son is 3 days old and we already went through 1 pack of NB diapers and are working through another one....he poops like crazy!!! lol. My first son wore 1 NB diaper and went straight to size1. Complete opposites! I love pampers! We only bought 1 pack to start and now we are just buying as we need them. but I have tons of size 1 and 2.  everyone else summed it all up, just wanted to give you my experience so far with the NB diapers
Well i just pray my baby aint allergic to huggies.  I took 10 diapers x7=70 a week and 280 a month.  I went to Sams club and bought the economy size that has 256 in it, its a size 1-2 (7lbs-16lbs) i beleive.  I have 5 boxes of 256 diapers size1--2.  I have 3boxes of size 3 and 3 boxes of size 4(i got the 3&4 from the baby shower).  

I also bought a box of huggies/wipes from sams club.  I guess it just depends.  But i heard also, women like pampers for boys and prefer huggies for girls.  
pampers swaddlers were/are the only diapers that would hold my girl's poop when young infants.

my younger one is 3 weeks old. we change her 10-12 times/day, but actually go through about 15 diapers/day because she always pees and poops on the table as we put the clean diaper on her.

she was born 6 lb 8 oz, and wore NB for 2 1/2 weeks. while she still technically could fit newborns, i like the bigger 1's because of how much she pees/poops.

according to my ped, newborn babies are expected to gain 1/2 pound per week. in the first 2 months my first gained 1 lb/week, and this baby seems to be doing the same.
Oh, i missed your second question.  I was told newborns can safely lose up to 15% of their body weight after birth.  None of mine ever lost that much.  Cooper weighed 8-1 at birth and went down to 7-10.
If I were you i would hold on to the money and buy them as you go along.  We walked out of the hospital with over 100 diapers and only had to buy one box of newborn diapers.  the one thing that I realized with diapers is it really doesnt totally go by weight for the diapers.  I know my son was always with in the correct weight for the diapers, but since he was a bit small for his age, his body would produce too much urine for the diapers to hold.  One minute they would be nice and dry and the next they would be sagging like I hadnt changed it in 6 hours.  Also he would leak badly over night so we had to move to the next size before his weight was high enough for it.  As much as everyone says 10 in a day, that makes perfect sense after the first two weeks or so.  I know DS would poop and we would change him immediately just to realize he was not done and would finish in a second diaper.  Also, if it is a boy, I know for the first two weeks mostly, up to a month, he would end up wetting a diaper before I even had the tabs on so we used a bit more.  As far as weight, you will be surprised at how quick they gain it!  i was absolutely shocked!  
Best diapers.  I used papers swaddlers but quickly realized that they had little strings that would attach around my sons penis where he was circumcised so we switched to huggies and have used them ever since.  still dont know which I will use this time.  Probably will go backt o the pampers for a bit with this one then to huggies again.  
oh yeah, one more reason to hold on to the money and buy as you go... once you have the baby, companies start to send you all kinds of coupons.  I dont think that I have ever paid full price for a box of diapers in two years.  by the time I am ready for the next box, I have a new coupon.  Also toys r us and target will do a buy two boxed and get a $10 gift card, and i think toys r us if you have their club card, if you buy 9 boxes of diapers you get one free.  either way, look for and catch the sales!  Every bit counts.
LOL! As you can see- everyone is different. Some newborns need the NB for a week, some a month! So that's why you should buy diapers from a place where you can exchange them easily since each baby grows at different rates. ;-)
It depends on your baby's build a bit because even though weight wise ds could have worn nb awhile longer, we moved him up to size one b/c of his legs...nb seemed too tight.  We used the most size ones and recently moved onto size 2 and we are on our second BIG box.

SERIOUSLY, I LOVE the pampers swaddlers sensitive the best!  I've become a diaper snob lol I will only use them!  Cannot say enough good about them!

Luvs are like putting a grocery bag on your baby, I received a big pack as a gift, tried ONE, and it was horrid!  Felt rough and leaked...