Pregnancy 18-24 Community
hydrops fetalis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

hydrops fetalis

hi i m Ahmer from Pakistan,
my wife deliver a bornly dead baby of 6th month doctor said baby died due to hydrops fetalis.
doctor done a TORCH test of my wife and in the report of torch test Rubella,CMV and HSV igg are positive and igm are negative. doctor said that three infection in my wife thats why my wife deliver a premature bornly dead baby.
my question are:

1) what is hydrops fetalis?
2) can it happened in next pregnancy?
3) what is the solution of this case.

thanks

ahmer.
First of all i want to say to both of you how sorry i am for your loss . I have never heard of hydrops fetalis before today so i looked it up for you, i hope this helps:

Hydrops fetalis is a severe, life-threatening problem of severe edema (swelling) in the fetus and newborn. It is also called hydrops. There are two types of hydrops:

immune - results when the mother's immune system causes breakdown of red blood cells in the fetus. This is the most dangerous problem of blood group incompatibility between the mother and baby.

non-immune - the most common type; can result when diseases or complications interfere with the baby's ability to manage fluid.
What causes hydrops fetalis?
Hydrops develops when too much fluid leaves the bloodstream and goes into the tissues. Many different diseases and complications can cause hydrops, including the following:

Immune hydrops may develop because of Rh disease in the mother. When an Rh negative mother has an Rh positive baby, the mother's immune system sees the baby's Rh positive red blood cells as "foreign." When the mother's antibodies attack the foreign red blood cells, they are broken down and destroyed, resulting in anemia. Hydrops can develop as the baby's organs are unable to compensate for the anemia. The heart begins to fail and large amounts of fluid build up in the baby's tissues and organs.

Non-immune hydrops includes all other diseases or complications that may interfere with the baby's ability to manage fluid. There is no one mechanism to explain non-immune hydrops. Some of the diseases or complications that are often associated with hydrops include the following:

severe anemias
congenital infections (infections present at birth)
heart or lung defects
chromosomal abnormalities and birth defects
liver disease
Who is affected by hydrops fetalis?
Immune hydrops is not as common as it used to be since the widespread use of Rh immunoglobulin treatment for Rh negative women. Non-immune hydrops occurs rarely. Premature babies with hydrops are at increased risk. The incidence of hydrops can vary between populations.

Why is hydrops fetalis a concern?
The severe edema that occurs with hydrops can overtake the baby's organ systems. About half of unborn babies with hydrops do not survive. Risks are also high for babies born with hydrops, with survival often depending on the cause and treatment.

What are the symptoms of hydrops fetalis?
The following are the most common symptoms of hydrops fetalis. However, each baby may experience symptoms differently.

During pregnancy, symptoms may include:
large amounts of amniotic fluid
thickened placenta
ultrasound of the fetus shows enlarged liver, spleen, or heart, and fluid buildup in the fetus' abdomen

After birth, symptoms may include:
pale coloring
severe edema overall, especially in the baby's abdomen
enlarged liver and spleen
respiratory distress (difficulty breathing)
The symptoms of hydrops fetalis may resemble other conditions or medical problems. Always consult your baby's physician for a diagnosis.

How is hydrops fetalis diagnosed?
In addition to a complete medical history and physical examination, diagnostic procedures for hydrops fetalis may include:

ultrasound - a diagnostic imaging technique which uses high-frequency sound waves and a computer to create images of blood vessels, tissues, and organs. Ultrasounds are used to view internal organs as they function, and to assess blood flow through various vessels.

fetal blood sampling - done by placing a needle through the mother's uterus and into a blood vessel of the fetus or the umbilical cord.
amniocentesis - withdrawing some of the amniotic fluid for testing.
Treatment for hydrops fetalis:
Specific treatment for hydrops fetalis will be determined by your baby's physician based on:

your baby's gestational age, overall health, and medical history
extent of the disease
your baby's tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
expectations for the course of the disease
your opinion or preference
Treatment of hydrops depends on the cause. During pregnancy, hydrops may be treatable only in certain situations. Management of hydrops in newborn babies may include:

help for respiratory distress using supplemental oxygen or a mechanical breathing machine
removal of excessive fluid from spaces around the lungs and abdomen using a needle
medications to help the kidneys remove excess fluid
I came across your question when I was searching for an answer to the same question. Recently my son died of the same condition at the age of 15 days. I was diagnosed with large amount of amniotic fluid and fetal edema and pleurel effusion at 32nd week. I delivered at 35th week and baby was treated for 15 days. Despite all the good hopes and positive signs, my baby couldn't survive. Every possibility that could have caused the disease was ruled out and It is very disturbing to know that doctors failed to find any reason for his condition.