Pregnancy 18-24 Community
is this true

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

is this true

A friend of mine said that even if babies dont show an allergy to something the first time they will the second time. so me giving my son fruit for a week and then switching isnt gonna tell me if hes allergic to it or not? this ***** i was so excited to get it all out of the way

and what are the chances that hed be allergic to anything, if me, DB my mom, and sisters, his mom and brothers and sisters arnt allergic to anything?
No, if they are allergic to it, I swear it will just come up straight away that they are allergic, Like me with banana's I ate one when I was little and well.... I went pooooooooof.
BUT, my sisters dad is allergic to wheat, and his didnt flare up untill he was an adult. And my sister could be allergic.. might not flare up untill she is an adult too...
So well, I don't know!! He could be... the best thing to do, it to try him on one thing at a time... Like a week of strawberries a week of grapes and stuff...
Make sure you balance the fruit with Veg so he dont develop a sweet tooth! :)
And allergies are not genetic I don't think??

Hmmm...

x
As far as I know no one in my family is allergic to peas. I fed Elijah peas for the first few months. Out of the blue one day he got welts all over his face, down his chest...we thought it was because DH touched him after using bleach and didn't get it all off his hands. We put him down for a nap DH checked on him about five minutes later and he looked like he was having trouble breathing, I picked him up and he started throwing up, not spit up, I mean heaving throwing up...I took him to the urgent care on base right then, and by the time I got there they just gave me hydrocortisone for his welts cause they thought it was the bleach too. The next time I gave him peas, he had a similar reaction. That was more than a year ago and I haven't tried to give them to him again yet. SO...I did some research and YES you can develop an allergy to something that you have had in the past, just like you can be allergic to something when you're little and not when you're an adult (happened to my mom with certain nuts).

There's no way of knowing if Cole will be allergic to anything, and you can't stop him from being allergic. All you can do is introduce one food at a time, and if he ever has a reaction, think about what he's ate and next time you try any of those things keep a close eye on him.

BTW I'm not trying to scare you with my story, but I thought if you're gonna be allergic to something it shows up right away, obviously not.

We also found out this year he's allergic to amoxicillin. He didn't react to it until six days after starting it...I asked the dr and looked it up and the dr said, and I found info that said that you can react to drugs the first dose or last when you're allergic.
I thought it would have showed up straight away too??
But then looking at my sisters dad, he didnt know he was allergic to wheat untill he was 32 yrs old!

But your first thought is normally if you're allergic it would show up straight away!!
OH I AM A DOUCHE LOL..

My bad!

x
BTW allergies CAN be genetic, but just because someone in your family/you are allergic doesn't mean your child will be.
OH yeah!! I even said they could be at the start of my post with my sister and her dad!
Baby brain! Sorry Ammandaa!
Im having a douche day!!

x
i just heard from a friend's pediatrician that in order for them to be allergic they have to have been introduced to it before. for example, your baby wont be born allergic to pollen. they have to be introduced to it in their first spring, and then their second spring IF they are allergic to pollen it will show up. im assuming its the same with food.
Cassandrajane, you're not a douche...common sense says it would show up right away, but apparently common sense is wrong too.

I honestly thought it was the bleach with Elijah, but it's not. My poor child, he has so many things he breaks out in rashes/welts with...I'm to the point now when I see a rash I don't think much of it, I just give him benadryl and hydrocortisone.

OH! On another note, there are things that I wonder about though, as far as allergies...Elijah will break out with welts with red sauces, like pizza or spaghetti, BUT sometimes he doesn't. So I don't know on that one...I am planning at some point to take him to the dr to ask about allergies, and him getting welts, just haven't had the time to yet, his situation it's not really severe though...if it were obviously I would have had him in sooner. His peds in Korea didn't seem too worried.
I guess its different! Because with me and bananananananana's it showed up straight away and with me and penicillin showed up right away....

You can get tested to see what you're allergic too!!??!!

Hmmm.
Guess your body reacts in different ways?? Some come out straight away, others dont.... I know some things can set off allergies. My mum had glandular fever and it set of her allergy to potassium... which is why I cant have bananananannanananana;s and stuff. Because I picked up her allergy.

Weird!

x
Well you can get allergy testing done for some things...but what I meant by taking Elijah to the dr was because his reactions seem to fit something I found on the internet, BUT not sure. If it is true that he has it than it's just a sensitivity to yeast sort of...but that's why I want to talk to a ped, cause the internet is a scary place.
My mum got tests for her allergy to Garlic and something else... I cant remember what?? and I duno if its diff down here.
I'd rather talk to a doc about allergies than the internet...Because the internet information scares me... and always says the worst of things!!

xx
I'm not sure what all you can get tested for, but I know they have allergy testing.

What I did with Elijah for like red sauces, and vinegar and stuff, was put a little on his stomach or somewhere on his skin to see if he started to turn red/react to it.
Thats a good way of testing... did you get a result?
I know they say avoid stuff in pregnancy, like Peanuts and the common allergies.  Incase the baby is allergic or develops and allergy?? But how can they become allergic in your womb or have a reaaction??....

With my sister and wheat for the first year of her life, we kept her off wheat and gluten... she had the special products. After the H.Visitor said to try her on wheat because her reaction might not come out untill she is in her 20's maybe later see how she goes. she eats wheat now we just gotta watch out for the signs of her getting it. I think its called Celiac or something.

x
I did get results sometimes. BUT I only did it because I was CLOSE to the clinic...I mean, less than ten minutes away...I would NEVER do it if I wasn't close to a medical center, it's just too risky.

I'm not sure about the developing an allergy in the womb, or anything like that...

BTW I have to add, that me doing the skin testing at home was mentioned to me by MY ped, so don't try anything like that if you're reading this stuff unless your DR RECOMMENDS IT! Mine knew how close to medical help I was if something bad would have happened, and I did a skin test NOT feeding it to him.
Its called Coeliac.

Celiac is like IBS! My bad!

x
I wouldnt test anyways... I'd get my doc to do it.
The only way if I found out Harry had an allergy is if he has a reaction to something he eats!

I live across the road from the docs, but it would still worry me!
x
My son is allergic to several foods, including nuts.  I had previously given him a peanut butter sandwich and he was fine.  Second time he started having trouble breathing and I had no idea why.  Took him to the pediatrician and they ran some tests and he was allergic to peanuts.  No one else in the family, including his siblings, have food allergies.  My prayer is he will grow out of it.
I guess it makes sense that they can become allergic to something even though like cassandra my common sense was telling me that after they have it the first time..but thinking about it now i had a similar thing with me when i was younger, i played soccer for 12 years and never had a problem with the grass, then one day i went to my little brothers soccer game when i was abot 16 and the grass had been cut that morning and had a horrible allergic reaction to it and am still allergic to fresh cut grass (well guess im allergic to it all the time but only effects me when its been cut recently) and that was definitely something i wasnt when i was little. Wierd i never thought about that, thanks for posting ammanda i'll have to remember that after faith comes and i start introducing solids, luckily her brother doesnt have any food allergies as of yet, knock on wood!
Allergies can develop at anytime really, but it's not very common that they just show up out of the blue after a person has had that same thing numerous times.  But it also has to do with the amount of whatever it is that's in their system.  Example..a person may be allergice to bananas, but isn't so sensitive that eating them once a week affects them, but if they eat them more than once a week they get a reaction.  Also, allergies can go away as well.  

When I was an infant I was allergic to everything under the sun, even breastmilk...I had to have neutramagin formula. Then when I started eating regular foods it all to be made from scratch because there were so many things that I reacted to.  In my case the reaction was swelling of the respiratory system and I couldn't breath, BUT by about the age of 2 1/2-3 I started outgrowing those allergies.  As of now there is no food that I know of that I am allergic to and as far as other allergies, I had the allergy testing done and I'm allergic to specific weeds and mildly allergic to dogs.  
If you are lactose intolerant, are you lactose intolerant forever??? Because my neice is lactose intolerant... she has been for a long time, but no one would test her untill now?? Is this something that will last??

I just avoid banananannananananna's now. LOL...

x
I couldn't drink milk as a young child...I can now with no problems, I just don't like it.  It really depends on the person and the severity of the allergy.  There is a chance she coulde outgrow it.
Just depeneds on how bad you're allergic to it!

Learn something new everyday :)

x
lactose intolerance is not an allergic reaction- it's completely different.

An allergic reaction is an immune response to something. Usually, at the very first exposure, the immune system does not recognize it, and therefore does not respond. It is with subsequent exposures that the body knows to react to the allergen. There is mixed opinions on consuming common allergens during pregnancy. I guess if you have a history of family allergies, it may be prudent to avoid certain things; but it most cases it's not considered necessary. There are even mixed opinions on the importance of waiting until 2 or 3 under exposing children to nuts. I did wait, but only because I have seen firsthand how complicated life can be for the parent of a child with nut allergies.

I know many many adults who are lactose intolerant including myself, but none that has actually been tested for it. i think most diagnoses are made based on anecdotal evidence (and if you're lactose intolerant, you know that the symptoms are hard to miss!). I have read about a stool acidity test for lactose intolerance, but it's not frequently done because lactose intolerance is rare in kids under 2. However, milk allergies are more common in that age group. As for outgrowing lactose intolerance- some years i can eat icecream without problems; other years I need to take lactaid pills with it. My sister used to have to take the pills with everything dairy, but now only needs it with milk. So it can fluctuate throughout life.
Celiacs disease is a gluten allergy.

Allergies can develop or disappear at any point in time. Though a true milk allergy (not lactose intolerant) is more common in children but very rare in adults. However not impossible, I have a true milk allergy but this is something that was not discovered until I was approx 8yrs old. Some allergies are mild and you won't notice a reaction in a young child.

Allergy testing can be done even on young children. Allergy shots can also be given to help a person "get over" their allergy. Though when stopping these allergy shots the allergy can reappear over time.

The reason they say with infants introduced one food at a time and don't add new foods for for a few days is that if your baby develops a reaction you can tell which food it is instead of having to eliminate all foods and start introducing over again till you find which one it was since that would be a pain in the butt.

As for avoiding peanuts while pregnant some scientists think that maybe the exposure to peanuts in utero can lead to the child developing an allergy to them BUT there is mixed reviews and nothing solid.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers