PREGNANCY 18-24
COMMUNITY
labour with 3rd baby!! is it really bad!?
by brittanybutton, Mar 15, 2011
my midwife told me that 3rd babies are the hardest to give birth too!! is this true?? my 2nd was brilliant only about 3 hourse of intense pain and no durgs my first was 17 hours and i had epidural now im sooo scared because i was thinking a midwife unit and not the hospital but now im goingmore towards hospital so i have the option!???! anyone have any experiences with 3rd they  can say about????
Member Comments (17)
by gillianl, Mar 15, 2011
my sister had 3, my mum had 4 and both have said the more you have the easier and shorter the labour seems to get, my mum said " they slide out" after the 2nd and third lol.  i don't think your midwife had a right to tell you that, it must be bad enough panicking about the labour without being told it only gets worse the more you have.

Good luck with the labour and do what you think is right and not some pushy midwife :)
by smuchie, Mar 15, 2011
I havent had a 3rd baby but am trying for one at the moment. Every child every pregancy every labor is different so dont mind what the nurse was saying bit cheeky of her to say that to be honest she should be re assuring you that everything will be fine not telling you that crap. If it is painful theres the epidural i have friends that have said it gets easier the more kids theyve had just everyone has a different story everyone is different just congrats and the best of luck you'll be fine dont be worrying about it
by LosingMyMindInGABlank, Mar 15, 2011
My 3rd child is the only one I had without the assistance of pain medication.  It was also a VBAC (vag. birth after cesarean).  My water broke just after midnight and she was born at 6:27 am.  Most of my labor was dialating.  The actually pushing/delivery was less than 10 minutes.  

My 4th was even shorter, but my 5th and 6th were about the same as my 3rd only with epidurals.
by chantal21, Mar 15, 2011
I do not think that's true at all. My mom had 4 of us, and it got easier with each one. Granted, her labors with all of us were under 8 hours each time. I will be having my 3rd in June/July, and my first labor was 13 hours and pushed for 1hr 20 min (only because he was crooked) and my second labor was 4 hours and pushed him out in 4 pushes. My midwife seems to think I will be just fine with this one as well and never said anything about it being harder. Although each pregnancy and delivery is different, but it tends to usually get easier with each one. Don't freak out! Your body knows what it's doing by now. =)
by degriffdog, Mar 15, 2011
I agree that it gets easier. With my third it happened so fast I wasn't sure if I would get to the hospital on time. I am now expecting #4 and my dr is talking about inducing so I don't give birth in the car.  I think you'll be just fine as chantal21 said your body knows what to do.
by NicMom, Mar 15, 2011
LOL I hope that's not true because I'm pregnant with my 3rd. Why would she tell you that? So you can worry about it all the way to delivery?? Everyone I know has told me it gets easier each time. Have a safe and easy delivery!
by diamondintherough79, Mar 15, 2011
I agree it is easier, I was in labor for 4 hours and pushed for maybe 5 minutes. I was induced by having my waters ruptured.
The only thing I found tough  were the contractions.
Best of luck :)
by snagglepuss1, Mar 15, 2011
hi,

i have 3 children and would like to say my 3rd labour was no more painful than the previous 2! it was shorter than my other 2 labours, the only difference was i had a 2nd degree tear because i pushed him out too fast. what a pile of tosh, labour is labour and it hurts, but no more so because it's your third baby! the only thing i would say is the after pains aren't the nicest but keep yourself medicated and it'll be fine.....if my third labour had been that bad i wouldn't be ttc baby number 4 now!
by jenkaye21, Mar 15, 2011
Your midwife is mean!!  From what i've often heard, second babise can be the worst labors (it was true for both my mom and I, who each have 4 kids), but after that things *should* get progressively easier.  Of course, there are always exceptions and unique circumstances for each labor delivery