Pregnancy 18-24 Community
lactose intolerance is rare and genetic/breastfeeding/formula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

please read the following article that has in it the truth about lactose intolerance. Just how many are missed diagnosed?

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

i would love to hear you all thoughts
Unfortunately I am lactose intolerant, and I have been since birth. My mom was unable to breastfeed, and had a terrible time finding a formula that would work with me as I also have GERD. My pediatrician finally had my mother put me on a meat based formula that I did well on and began to gain my weight back. I do think this condition is rare in infants, but it is possible.
You have a great example for mama's to hear! Ya my first son I BF also and he could not tolerate me consuming milk products till he was older. I had many nurses tell me he was lactose intolerant, he also was premature and had severe reflux from the muscle not closing off. It got better like the dr said around the time he started eating baby food (nine months). He would projectile vomit across the room but it came up right away not later on. So it was just the formilk not the stomach acids and as long as he gained well was not casue for concern. Messy till the flap developed though. I called it my laundry problem.

Would be interesting what that formula was actually made of though! Sounds like Alimentium which is very stinky!!!
Yeah, she had those problems with me as well. She tried to breastfeed my brother, but he was losing weight and she claims she had her breastmilk tested and it had no fat content at all. So, it was just the foremilk. When she had me, she said she didn't even start lactating. But she knew she was going to formula feed because of her past issues. She said she tried all of the formulas and the only regular formula that I could sort of tolerate was Nutramigen. It cut down on my reflux, but I was instead screaming from stomach pains. I'm not sure what meat-based formula she used, but I do know that every stuffed animal or blanket I had from infancy has reddish colored throw up stains on it. I was also born at 35w with a twisted bowel as well.

Even to this day I have to be careful about the milk and dairy I consume. A few years ago I wasn't paying attention and ordered a milk shake from an italian restaurant. Well, they apparently use whole milk because as soon as it hit my stomach I was in their bathroom projectile vomiting. I can drink nutrish or skim milk and be okay, but I have a stomach ache for hours. Now that I'm in my third trimester I worry that my little girl will have this problem as well.
I hope she does not, hopefully she will get her daddy's genes for that:)

Very odd to have no fat content! She might of just had to much foremilk and her breast never emptied all the way to get the hind milk. I ahve always had a problem with having to much milk, I even only breastfeed on one side and still now with my 4th ahving the same issue. He is getting the hind milk though cuz he is very chubby and gaining great.

I
I'm not lactose intolerant but I have a true milk allergy which is very rare in adults. I was diagnosed as a child but when I went to the allergist recently they said no way I would have grown out of it but when they tested me sure enough like I said I was still allergic. Interestingly enough my milk allergy is nonsymptomatic during pregnancy :)
MY NIECE IS A CULPRATE!!. It's tken them 3 months to test her... She has been il since birth AND he hosp told my SIL to drink MILKSHAKES and eat alot of CHEESE and Yougurts!!!! Hmmm, Smart.

We are sueing them because they refused to test her. And then got p!ssy when *I* Demanded they did... and said it isnt lactose intolerance aanyways its reflux they were WRONG!

x
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers