Pregnancy 18-24 Community
low/no cost medi-cal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

low/no cost medi-cal

I recently found out I was pregnant and 2 weeks later was laid off my job due to cutbacks. I applied for medi-cal but they are giving me the run around. First my application was denied because my social security card was invalisd (I've had it since I was 6 mo. and my mother signed it) Then I was denied because planned parenthood did'nt fill out the proof of prgnancy correctly they said). I am now 10 weeks pregnant and am getting a little nervouse because I have not seen a doctor yet. Is there anywhere in my area that is low/no cost that I can go to for at least 1 prenatal visit......Sorry for the rant....
Tags: Pregnancy
what area do you live in?
First- go back to Planned Parenthood or a free clinic to get verification of pregnancy. You're going to need that sheet.

Then you need to go to your local Family and Social Services Department to apply for Medicaid. You will get approved quickly but probably won't get your medical card for about a month. Medicaid will cover your prenatal care up to three months prior to being approved as well (at least where I live, it might be different in CA).

So long as you bring in your proof of acceptance to a doctor who takes whatever Medicaid plan you get they'll still see you without the card usually.
Check with Healthy Families too....they help those individuals that have a job and make too much for Medi-Cal, but can't afford insurance.  You have to show income for this program though.  If you are not working, your best best would be to explain your situation to a doctor's office (that you are trying to Medi-Cal the info they need) and have the initial visit anyway, paying out of pocket.  In the meantime, get the SS issue settled (my daughter had the same issue when she became pg and had to pay for her first visit out of pocket) and any other issues outstanding.  If you are having trouble with a particular case worker, then ask for another one or a supervisor to see if they can help expedite your claim.  Both of my daughters are on those programs, due to low income (but heck, it's CA)..........
Sorry - I missed the part about you being out of work.
I agree with Joy,here in IL, that if you do get approved for medicare they will take care of any back med. bills(up to 3months back)
You can go to your county health dept and they should be able to help you. For either free or very low cost. Good luck Hun congrats!!