Pregnancy 18-24 Community
marijuana for morning sickness?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

marijuana for morning sickness?

First i would like to say i currently do not smoke pot and i am not looking for any harsh judements just some opinons. Ive read in a few placea that marijuwana is good for morning sickness. I did smoke on occasion before i found out i was prego. And i have used it for nausea in the past (motion sickness, the flu) and it definatly worked. I have also read that some doctors recomend or even prescibe it for morning sickness. There is no evidence that it doea any harm to the baby but.a concern would be the fact that smoking anything cant be good, so there is also option of a vaporizer (makea vapor not smoke) or even better eating it. so i am just curious if anyone has had any experience with marijuwana while pregnant.i also have a friend who had a baby a couple years ago, she didnt find out until she was almost 3 months and was smoking weed she didnt quit(doc said it could be stressful on baby) but she did cut down, she smoked the whole pregnancy and there is not a thing wrong with her child, shes almost three and very intelligent. Once again i am not saying i do it or even would i am just looking for some personal experience or some none jugdemental opinions.
Thanks :)
My sister smoked throughout her pregnancy and her daughter was fine. With that being said, I would not take the chance. It could harm the baby, cps could get involved, and its not healthy pregnant or not. Theres medicines the doctor can give you to help with morning sickness that are fine to take while pregnant. So my question is...why risk it??
I can see how it would help, but I can't see many or if any doctors prescribing it. And like u said the act of actually smoking it might be harmful but idk abt the vapor thing. As for ur friend if she smoked a lot and often the baby would be stressed if she stopped suddenly so coming of slowly seems best.
No...I would not.  I've been so sick with this pregnancy that I haven't gained a single pound, but baby is growing fine and that is what matters. You might have no bad effects on baby... But you might.  Is it worth the risk?  
i know quite a few ppl who have done it through their entire pregnancy & baby is fine. if it was legal, no one would have a problem with it. Drs do prescribe it in some places to women with severe morning sickness who cant keep anything down. pregnant or not, there have been hundreds of studys done that show marijuana has very little to no negitive effects on the body. if YOU are ok with it, thats all that matters.
I was smoking before I find out about my lil one nd my doc told me that something could happen because I was so early I could loss my baby because of it.  
I know plenty of women who smoke weed throughout their entire pregnancy and nothing was wrong with their baby
I, on the other hand was pregnant with twins last year and I had morning sickness so bad that I couldnt eat anything and I had lost over 20 pounds in the first 2 months of my pregnancy. I couldnt even smell food without getting sick and regardless of how hungry I would get I couldnt keep nothing down. And me not being a soda drinker, the only things that I could keep down was Ginger-Ale and I could only eat if I would smoke first
I thibk its so interesting when.people say my friend did it and her baby was fine. Just because children dont look different or act different at 2 or 3 doesnt mean they wont have learning difficulties or other cognitive deficits when they're older. Morning sickness is a part of pregnancy and we just have to deal. I used to smoke big time in college but now that im pregnant I know I wont do anything to.risk anything bad happening to my baby. I get it morning sickness ***** I have lost 15 lbs.during this pregnancy and im only 23 weeks so who knows when the sickness will end. I work and go to grad school full time so I get how hard it can be to function and be sick. As a mom there are things that you're.going to have to suffer through for the sake of your child. Being sick is one of them. It may sound harsh but my opinion is you just need to deal with it and muscle through. talk to your doc if it gets unbearable.
I smoked till I was 2months but I didn't know I was preggo and doctor told me to stop smoking  and I started to have alot of morning Sickness till I was like about 6months and they prescribe me nausea pills...
I heard that when u smoke in all your  pregnancy babies are born lower on wait n theirs a risk of birth defects..I had a friend who was smoking most of her pregnancy n lost her baby at 7months
I don't see a problem with it. I smoked throughout part of my pregnancy ( while I was sick) but ive felt fine since I was 12 weeks and my doctor told me my baby is doing great! Growth is great and heart rate is right on track im almost 17 weeks now and have also gained the right amount of weight according to my doctor :) if your comfortable with it then I don't see why not. Its just an herbel plant that has been used for years and I believe its better than some medication produced by a profit driven company
People mix up their facts alot and confuse the effects cigarette smoking has with weed. Cigarettes are known to cause asthma low birth weight and birth defects as well as prematurity. If u look up effects of weed u find their are none known and the closest possibility is adhd but what kid isn't a little hyper from time to time!
I never read about ciggarrette defects cause I never smoke ciggarrettes but. I read about weed and what it said that babies could come on low in weight and a risk of a birth defect...but everyone has their own opinion about I use to smoke kush for a long time cause I had my medical card here. In la but soon as I got pregnaqnt I. Stop yea I would get stress out I couldn't eat but hey my baby health is more important then that...I don't care if my friends or people tell me weed donesnt effect the baby I ain't no follower ama do what's best for me and my lil baby...plus theirs different type of weed theirs regular weed that has no thc  and kush that has thc and could effect differently with all the chemicals in it..but like I said no one is here to judge on anyones opinion everyone is gonna do what they seem is right...
One of the things you have to remember is that weed is no longer a natural herb, there are chemicalls in it too, which is why there are differing levels of thc. If I told you that there is no research indicating that doing one line of cocaine or one hit of heroin is not harmful to a pregnancy and my friend did.it and her kid is fine, would you.think its ok? Its all about making good judgments for your baby.
I agree with sratzabove9 is like if someone yells u a line crystal won't affect the baby then u do it cause someone tells u now its up to the person ..like I said also theirs regular herb and theirs Kush that have all types of thc and its not natural anymore don't get it y some people say its not natural herb with chemicals in it
*tells
Weed is not natural herb that's what I meant to say peeps
Unless u smoke regular stress on a pipe then thats natural herb without a blunt cause the blunt is tobacco obviously
It depends on the type of weed u get and if u are getting it from a trust worthy person who wok not add any chemicals to the weed. There are types with chemicals and some without.
Please remember in some states it is LEGAL. that being said, for anyone who thinks that just bc a dr prescribes u something that it is safe- u are dead wrong!
There are other things for morning sickness. Im honest i did smoked weed at my early pregnancy thinking i was not pregnant and i had no nauseas and no morning sickness at 2 months a pregnancy came out positive and quick smoking thats were my morning sickness started. I guess smoking was working but decided to stop. My son is smart no learning disabilities almost ready for school but the only problem he weight 5lbs 10in when he was born. And cps was not involved but im assuming if dr finds out he can report it if he wants. But yeah ive heard some doctors that prescribe marihuana for really bad morning sickness.
i wouldnt smoke it but thats just me, If cps got involved they could take your baby and once there in cps's hands it hard to get them back seen it done to a friend
thanks to everyone for your opinon and not being too judgemental. But i would never compare coke or herioin to weed one is a plant and the other arw chemicals also there is no evidience against weed and there is lots about how bad hard drugs are. And very good point about the chemicals on the plant but other then that there is no evidence that it hurts a person who is not pregant (someone said it did haha)
I don't know where some of you people are getting ur info from but everything I have read in the short time i researched smoking weed can have serious harmful effects on your baby.  It harms the babys brain and nervous system development, low birth weight, higher risk for pre term labor, and even after the baby is born if the baby "appears" healthy or normal the longterm damage is done as well.  That can include behavior issues, memory issues, slow learning, and babies of mothers who smoked weed throughout their pregnancy their babies have a higher chance of getting leukemia.  I paraphrased a lot of that but I wouldn't risk it.  If your weed is that important to u get sterilized and smoke it all you want.  There are many meds a dr can give you for morning sickness that wont harm your baby.
Trying43 I read the same on babycenter
oops wasent done haha
its definatly not worth the risk because of the lack of evidence, although for some reason this has intrested me alot i did alot if reasearch and there was one study about moms in jamaica who smoked throughout the whole pregnancy and there children were all perfectly normal, there is also new evidience of cannibis curing cancer (kind off topic but worth googling or looking on youtube) if anyone else has any thoughts id love to hear them, thanks again to everyones input
i love that comment that if it were legal no one would care... lol alcohol is legal but i dont see responsible pregnant women running aroung drinking .... weed is not good for your baby... i cant imagine why you would risk the health of your baby in any way cause that is kinda selfish... deal with the morning sickness thats your job as being a pregnant woman its not supposed to be comfortable.... be responsible grow your baby and and smoke all the weed you want when its out of you... if your getting high from something dont you think the tiny little fetus is feeling those effects as well think about it logically
trying43 sorry but you are very wrong and niave, youve oviously only read one negative article there are lots out there, beforw you go on a big rant do some more research. Im not trying to be rude actually google it and read more then one article its very intersting what people believe when they arent educated on a subject. I dont trust pills thats doctors prescibe pregnant or not, drug companies are out to make a profit at the cost of ppls health. Id rather trust a plant
majikat like i said i am not smoking it. I am dealing with it, im looking for information or experience not to be judged for something i am not doing, and find to be intetesting
Id much rather use weed than meds the drs give you & the vaporizor alows you to use it without the smoke.
You guys do realize that heroin is refined opium and cocaine is refined from coca leaves,  yes? They are "herbal " too. Anyway,  everyone needs to try to be kind on both sides of this argument... Most marijuana threads end up closed by the moderators when people can't be respectful so if this debate is to continue,  we all need to keep that in mind.

Best wishes for your day ladies!
-Co-Community Leader Ashelen.
Actually I read it on 6 different sites including march of dimes and web md just to name a few.  So my facts are straight.  And I am far from naive. My weed loving cousin smoked it through all 3 of her pregnacies.  Her first baby died inutero at 6 months.  Her second son is legally blind has severe asthma and learning disabilities and her third son has severe adhd was born preterm and also is mentally retarded.  Im sure it was all just a coincidence nothing to do with weed at all.
@ ashlen they are still completely different how many times have you heard of someone overdosing from marijauna? None right? I think its so silly to compare it to cocaine & heroin!
I agree that they are different BUT my point is that the argument that it is herbal therefore safe is faulty.  Plenty of natural and herbal things are harmful.
thanks for the sarcasm,  im sorry to hear about your cousins children, although this is the first time ive ever heard of  something like that happening from smoking weed, alot of times these people are on drugs other then weed (not saying your cousin was) so its hard to tell alot of the time if it is caused by marijuana or somethings. thats the case alot of the time with smokers as well so thats why marijuwana is confused alot with low birth weight lots ( not all) of weed smokers also smoke cigerettes
No cps tested her each time they took her babies away and it was weed. (They now live with their grandparents and are doing pretty well despite their issues) My mil can give you endless cases of birth defects from just weed.  They go from mild to severe. Sometimrs u nrver see the effects till school age. You never know whats in the weed u get, even if ur soirce is trusted. You cant predict one way or the other how each baby will react to it.  Its better to abstain all together.  Better safe than sorry.  I get so worked up over this issue because my cousin said oh its just weed and now her kids have huge hurdles to overcome because of a choice she made.  They were innocent and had no say so.
Pharmaceutical companies are out to make money (but then again so is pretty much EVERYONE that has a job) but it's not like they can just stick harmful stuff in the medicines. The FDA has to approve drugs before they can be used. That means they are tested. So you can trust a plant that could have been grown in toxic waste for all you know, and I'll trust the FDA.

Some women smoke cigarettes, some women drink alcohol, some women do crack while pregnant and have completely normal babies. But other women do the same things and awful things happen to your baby. If you're not sure if what you're doing can be bad for your baby then why would you even think about chancing it?
I simply wouldnt risk it. You have to sacrifice so much for your baby. Fun,friends,having stretch marks,having a fat butt:-) , saggy brests...etc. nausea is just one more thing you go through to bring a healthy baby into the world.
Hello :) So I would like to explain to everyone why weed/marijuana/hemp became illegal initially, and why it continues to be "illegal."

In the 30's the government conducted a series of "tests," that were aiming to prove the negativity of marijuana use. They started the tests off properly with a regulated amount of intake daily (1 joint.) The apes showed no brain cell damage from the average daily usage, so these apes were then hooked up to gasmasks linked to 300 Columbian strain joints for a continuous length of time (3 months.) This test in the end was conducted improperly as these apes were then not in this case able to inhale any oxygen.

ALSO! All these tests that the US conducts on Marijuana use during pregnancy are not conducted soley on women whom are ONLY using Marijuana. Women in the US tests tend to also be users of Coke, Alcohol, or other prescription/or street drugs.

There are other reasons Marijuana/Hemp became illegal/has stayed illegal regardless the positive changes it can have on our country and world. Did you know that at one point it was ILLEGAL to not grow Hemp/Marijuana? This was because of the vast variety of uses that came from this plant; clothing, medicine, food, etc. Hemp can replace cotton, and that is another reason the government was pushed against it's growth/use. Cotton uses ALOT of pesticides (which are obviously bad for the earth) it also makes the land of which cotton is grown on UNUSABLE afterwards. Hemp/Marijuana needs NO PESTICIDES! Bugs/insects don't LIKE how it tastes, and their tiny bodies cannot process the THC levels in Marijuana especially.

Marijuana and hemp could replace a LOT of things that are ruining our world. Especially MEDICINE! Why would you NOT expect the Pharmaceutical companies to show outrage/negativity towards something that could REPLACE their WHOLE business? The amazing thing about Marijuana is that it can be grown 100% naturally, no chemicals/nasty drugs needed unlike pharmaceuticals. It is sown from the earth, not from a lab or petri dish.

We live in a greedy world, think a little more for yourself and gain knowledge properly. Don't believe in everything you hear from the government/media!

If you are interested in reading about the positivities found from marijuana use during pregnancy found from tests ONLY on women using marijuana ONLY. Check this out!

http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpress.com/marijuana-info/marijuana-during-pregnancy/
Look I smoked my entire pregnancy with my first child who is now 8 and very bright but with that said I had severe morning sickness with him, my daughter, now with this pregnancy and no medicine help plus I don't believe in taking all that crap the docs give you and although my son is fine and cps never even threaten to take him I didn't wanna chance it that something might go wrong with my other babies so I had to cold turkey it. Funny thing is he was 8lbs 9oz 21.5 long and my daughter was 6lbs 14oz 14.5 long and this baby is looking like she is gonna be the same size as her sister and absolutely no weed with either of my girls. So it is a gamble you take but that is with everything in pregnancy. They say don't perm your hair but ummm that is not an option for me lol I know that's not the same as weed but you get my point, your the mom you do what you think is best and oh well if others judge. Good luck!!
All of you ladies saying smoking could be harmful to the baby are basing that on what you've heard about smoking cigarettes. Its not the same thing. Weed isn't harmful which is why it DOES get prescribed and suddenly stopping wouldn't put stress on the baby because it isn't addictive. My boyfriend's mom was prescribed weed for stress when she was pregnant with him and he is literally THE smartest person I know. He got almost a perfect score on his SAT test and scored in the 150's on his IQ test. These other ladies may have only seen it in 2 or 3 year olds but he's 21 and brilliant.
Go ask a doctor, not an online forum. Who knows who is responding to your post? Maybe a 16 year old boy stoner who knows what about pregnancy? That is what's wrong with many people today. Yes the Internet is great but all you're gonna get on here is a bunch of opinions and "from my own experience" nonsense as if it makes it credible when we all have no idea who is sitting on the other end of the keyboard posting a comment. If you do want opinions though and that's why you did it, well from my own opinion I wouldn't want anything going into my body that is even questionable and debatable as this is. It is another persons life that you are responsible for, and why risk it at all? This not only included marijuana but even other prescription drugs. There are many legal prescription drugs that are not recommended for pregnant women as well. If you don't know if its gonna have an effect then just suck it up and do what you have to do to make sure you're growing a healthy baby. Okay it may cure morning sickness. Well suck it up. All we are is a world dependent on prescription drugs and even illegal ones to get by the day. I understand some people need them but many use it as a crutch because it is simply easier to just let something ease or discomforts. But being a mom has many more challenges than morning sickness. Seriously for some people, quit being a baby and be a mother and take care of your unborn child. If it is questionable then why do it??
u would actually trust what a pharmacudical company pushed to dr.... ill stick to what grows from nature.. i smoke my entir pregnancy ( not like i did before i was pregnant) i also had very mad morning sickness. my daughter is 8 months and healty and smart as can be, and im 6 weeks along with our 2nd..... and no cps does not get involved becuase dr do prescribe it, and since its considered legal by state they have no right, and to top it off the test to check for mj is to expensive to waste their time.... i smoked the night my water broke had her 4 hours later perfect and there was no one trying to take her from me,,, they worry more about crack and meth and heroin babies they can be born addict. not weed its natural, especially if u have ur rec to purchase through a clinic.
I did a research paper on medicinal marijuana in school....they can actually take out the thc and put it into pill form...cannibinal I think they call it. I'm not sure if its something you should take...but I would def look into it. I'm not sure if it comes up in drug tests either.
Not sure either but if they have thc in pill form it would show up in tests because they test for the chemical thc specifically.
Amen to that! People need to get accurately educated on marijuana! It is better for you than almost every "medication" on the market, and helps with WAY more stuff than any one pill out there!
I look at it as this. Would you smoke marijuana in front of your newborn child and blow the smoke in their face? Same thing as you are doing now because your baby absorbs what you do. That's how I see it