Pregnancy 18-24 Community
movement: no question, just some info
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

movement: no question, just some info

Okay, not really a question...more of a vent/info dump.
Fetal movement:
I've noticed a lot of women on here who have questions about fetal movement. Here are some basic guidelines to follow...
-first time mothers will generally not feel movement until 14-24 weeks.
-if this isn't your first pregnancy, you may be able to feel movement as early as 12-13 weeks, but it isn't  uncommon not to feel movement until you are much farther along
-first flutters are called quickening and generally feel like gas or small popping movement in your lower abdomen
-before about 12 weeks it is almost impossible to feel movement because the baby is just too small (average fetal weight at 12 weeks is only half an ounce and average fetal length is about 2 inches)
-once you are farther along in your pregnancy, movement will become more regular. To better feel this movement, trying drinking some juice then lay on your back, as this position makes feeling movement easier. Keep in mind, once is your third trimester you should not lie on your back for an extended period of times as the pressure can restrict blood flow to your heart.
-at some point, your doctor may ask you to chart your movement. This is normal and do not be concerned that something is wrong. Just follow your doctors instructions.
-once you can feel regular movement, if you notice you cannot feel movement or are concerned about lack of movement, lay down for a few minutes and track your movements. If an hour passes and you still feel no movement, call your Dr.
-finally, there are many factors that come into play in determining how and when you will feel movement. Placenta placement, weight, height, fetal age, and fetal placement are just a few factors. Just be patient and stay positive knowing that very VERY few mothers never feel movement in a normal pregnancy

Hope this answers some questions!!! Happy kick counting everyone!!! ;)