Pregnancy 18-24 Community
my baby moves too much? a lot of movement meas good or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I can feel a lot of fetal movements since 22w. Recentelly (28-31w) I can feel it is getting more. I heard that the baby is growing and has smaller and smaller space, then he/she will move less. But mine is different. Compared with mine, my friend's baby does not move a lot. Her baby is kind of quiet and only move in certain positions. My baby is moving everywhere in my uterus. She said this may be the sign of hyperactivity. Could it be?
I don't think labeling babies is accurate or appropriate. I don't think a baby who moves a lot in the womb is hyperactive. It could be that your friend's placenta is in a position (the front of her belly, for example) to cushion many blows from her baby. Each and every baby is unique and different; celebrate those differences.
I also wouldn't label your baby. How they act in the womb is nothing to how they might be outside it. For example, my baby was beyond lazy in the womb. I had trouble getting my kick counts down because she was so lazy and hardly ever wanted to move. When she did, it was when she rolled over, changed sides or stretched. Sometimes she kicked me if a cat laid on my belly, but it wasn't often. However, this was normal for her so the lack of movement wasn't important. Now, you would never know that she was this way in the womb if you met her in person. Like currently it's almost 1:30 am and she has one of my pill bottles and is shaking it, wiggling everywhere and hitting my husband with it while he's trying to sleep. (And before everyone flips out on me, the bottle is child proof and I'm lying next to her) She rarely stops moving and is super active. Some babies just move more than others. No two babies will act the same, and it's unfair to say that the child is hyperactive before they're even born. Ignore it, and don't worry. There is no such thing as too much movement.
Thanks JoyRenee, I love the movements. But I still a little worry. Because today lunch the baby move quite a lot. He/she was moving during my lunch. This is not usual at lunch time to move so much . Really much more than before. Does it mean anything if the movement suddenly become stronger and more frequent than usual?  Does he/she get hypoxia or cranky? Hope he/she is ok even with a lot of movements.
When you eat and drink baby will move more, definitely. Stronger and more frequent movement than what you're used to could be that baby is getting cramped and may be trying to stretch or get comfortable. I honestly wouldn't worry and if you cannot help but worry bring your concern to your doctor or midwife for reassurance.
Thanks Clysta. Your little girl is sooooo cute~ And you are right.
amira - I too started experiencing more movement from my baby a few weeks ago. I was nervous that she was having seizures in there or something because she was moving so much. As the other ladies mentioned, it's just because they ARE running out of room and you can feel movements more. Because my placenta is in the front, I usually only felt her move when laying on my side. But now, with only 3 weeks left to go, I can SEE my tummy moving nearly all day! These feelings won't last long, so enjoy them while you can! :)
Frankly I think it's a bunch of malarky to say that its a sign of hyperactivity.  ALL babies are different, some move more, some less.  Out of 6 full term pregnancies all of my babies had different movement patterns.  The ones that were most active are NOT hyperactive kids.  

The only concern for a very active baby would be risk of cord accidents.  As the baby moves it can become entangled in the umbilical cord.  This is something your doctor can monitor via ultrasound if he/she feels it's a potential problem.  

The other ladies also mentioned several things that I would have, but I won't repeate them.

Actually I quite enjoy the baby movements before my friend saying hyperactivity. I have only two months left to go and I
Dear amandamae1126 and LosingMyMindInGA

Actually I quite enjoy the baby movements before my friend saying hyperactivity. I really feel unhappy to hear this word pointed to my baby. You are totally right!! Now I have only two months left to go and I would definitely enjoy the remaining 2 months and the baby movements. Thank you all!!!!
It's funny how we do tend to take to heart the labels people put on our babies. My brother in law told me that he thinks baby girls are not cute. Um, I AM having a baby GIRL! Why would he tell me that? Probably because he just had his second son and has no daughters. Now I feel like he is going to not like my baby. This is unreasonable thinking of course.

And yesterday my doctor said "you have a good baby" after I did the non-stress test. I know that she just means that the baby's heartbeat and movement is good, but I will be floating on that comment for days! :) I DO have a good baby and she will be PERFECT when she arrives...I am sure of it.