Pregnancy 18-24 Community
opks work in detecting pregnancy!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

opks work in detecting pregnancy!!

Hi. yesterday at 11-12 dpo i tested for preganancy using an opk. Wasn't really expecting anything just tested for fun! Anyway i got a bfp. searched the web and no website agreed that an opk could detect pregnancy this early. Anyway being the curious persson i am i purchased a clear blue 6 day early preganacy (pregnancy) test and got a faint positive!!! still in shock and i just had to come on here and share my good news and the fact that opks CAN detect early pregnancy!!
Yes, an OPK can detect pregnancy because HCG is chemically similar to the hormone released when you ovulate.  A HPT will not detect when you ovulate though.
how? the opk's I have are just strips you dip in your urine and they show 2 lines if your ovulating and 1 line if your not...will it show 2 lines if your pregnant like when your ovulation?
I disagree with this...i used opk's, the stick kind, when i was trying to get pregnant with my youngest daughter...i consistantly got NEGATIVES....I finally took an HPT and got a BFP. The opks were coming out negative becuase i was pregnant therefore I wasn't ovulating so there was no LH surge.  Just MPO
iff you go to pee on a stick ******* it explains this.  LH and HCG are like twins with different hats on, or something like that.  HCG can be picked up by OPKS, but LH cannot be picked up by HPts....ithas some good info about it.
The "test" line must be at least as dark as the control line - the same as when you have a surge.  OPK's can detect pregnancy but false positives are common and the tests are not as sensitive as a regular HPT - they should not be a substitute for a HPT.
i used the digital clear blue opks so you don't have to sit there figuring out if one line is darker than the other you just wait for the smiley face :) weird thing is though when i tested with a cheap pregnancy test it was negative but the extra sensitive one that can detect pregnancy 6 days before af is due was positive.