Pregnancy 18-24 Community
possible miscarriage at 20 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

possible miscarriage at 20 weeks?

I am 24 years old, and pregnant for the first time. I'm 20 weeks, and I've had a very smooth, problem-free pregnancy. I have had a sonogram at 10 weeks, 14, weeks, and 17 weeks, and doctor said baby is very healthy. The blood work they did at the last appointment came back fine as well. I've had a significant little pregnant belly, and hungry about every 4 or 5 hours, tender breasts but not too bad. I felt the baby kick for the first time about a week and a half ago, and heard the kicking with a stethescope. Sounded like a little thump,thump,thump, and it was the most amazing feeling! Even if the baby wasn't kicking I could still press on my stomach and tell where he was. Well almost 2 days ago I found some blood in the shower, it was bright red and thick, but I wouldn't really say it was A LOT of blood. I have been cramping ever since, but haven't seen anymore blood. I wouldn't say the cramps are severe, they are mild, but constant and continuous. I can't feel the baby anymore, or hear anything with the stethescope. Also I feel like my stomach isn't really a pregnant belly anymore. It seems to be more of just a fat stomach, like I can push in on it. My breasts or nipples are not sore anymore, and today I realized that I went 9 hours with out eating and it didn't even bother me, where normally my stomach would be growling up a storm after 4 short hours. Especially over the past month, it felt almost like a full-time job just keeping myself fed, I could get completely full and after 4 or 5 hours my stomach would start growling again and if I didn't eat soon I would feel faint. I've only eaten twice today, and not very much either. It's not that I don't have an appetite, my body has just been fine and my stomach has not growled at all. Almost like because there is no baby to feed anymore.  I called my doctor and they told me that as long as there was no more blood not to be worried, but I just can't help but feel like something is definitely wrong. Since this is my first pregnancy, I can't be sure if I am over reacting, or if I should feel this way. I just can't help but feel like something is off, please share anything that might help!!
Tags: miscarriage possible 20 weeks
idk what to say.........but one thing you can go to the e.r nd let them check you out just to make sure.........when you do know can you let us know...i will pray everything is ok......
You should defiantly get another ultrasound done immediately. It will be your only answer. I hope everything is okay with you and your baby. Keep me posted how you went.
If your Dr won't see you. Go to the ER. U can never be to safe. Like they said before get another sono. God bless you and hope all is well.
u need to go to e.r and demand a ultrasound if u feel like something is wrong listen to your instinct. dont let anyone tell u ur babys is ok there not the one that can feel somethings not right. i hope everythings ok. please let us know. x
You could have a threaten miscarriage I bled for the first 5 months with my first pregnancy. Dr put me on bed rest immediately. I would go to the er and make sure. Besides your bleeding thats a good enough reason for them to see you. This way you ease your mind if nothing is wrong. Stress isn't good for the baby eaither. I will keep you in my prayers.
Yes please go to the ER ! I hope everything is okay !!!!!!!!
Could well just be that baby is more towards your back and so you wont feel kicks etc, this may also be giving your stomach more room for food meaning that you can maybe manage a little more at once so you stay full for longer. Dont panic, but as everyone has said, the only way to put your mind at rest is to go the hospital to get checked, chances are everything will be fine, most of us have some blips causing us to freak out...and believe me, our children continue to freak us out once they are here too!!
honey go to the emergency room immediately. It is so sad when we have doctors that'd be so insensitive so inconsiderate knowing that we depend on them for the right answers throughout our pregnancies, especially our first one. go to the emergency room sweetheart and demand answers. I hope all is well and keep us posted, we will keep you in our prayers.
Either way, spotting in the second and third trimesters need to be seen asap, it can be nothing, but it ALWAYS needs to be checked out. Good luck!
Drs upset me. I don't wanna scare you at all but just because you're not bleeding enough doesn't mean anything. It might not be a miscarriage because of the lack of blood but they should still check you. My mom had to deliver a stillborn right before I came along and she nor the doctors ever suspected anything. She had cramps and her bf at the time I guess wouldn't take her to the hospital so she had to deliver that poor baby in the back of an ambulance. Please go and ease your mind and forget what that doctor told you. Even if all turns out perfect at the hospital, that doc should've checked themselves and taken you serious but at least your mind will be at ease instead of waiting for next appt
personally i would go to the er and tell them you had some bleeding and that it would be helpful if they could find a heartbeat for you. perhaps you could even call your doctor and see if they will spot a heartbeat for you. the added stress of worry isn't good for you or baby.
i would try to stay as calm as possible and to perhaps meditate a bit and see if you feel any kicks. get in tune with baby. perhaps if you are quiet for a bit and then say something to baby he or she will respond to you with a kick and that will settle some concerns. it certainly is helpful later on when baby can kick you to remind you they are doing okay.
best of luck, i hope everything is just fine and look forward to hearing you felt a kick or heard a heart beat.
I did go to the emergency room to get checked out, and everything checked out fine! Thank you for all your responses! I couldn't tell if I was being over dramatic or not. Also, I ordered a fetal doppler off of the internet, and now I can hear the babys heartbeat when I'm worried. Very reassuring!