Pregnancy 18-24 Community
postpartum anxiety :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

postpartum anxiety :(

Hey!
I have just recently been blessed with a healthy baby girl named Rose.  So I have absolutely NO reason for any anxiety or stress BUT here I am at 5am NOT having slept a wink since she was born.  The first night I got a couple of naps in (btw feedings) however tonight that was not the case.  
I've been crying non-stop due to happiness but that changed dramatically when they took her for an hour to check her weight and vitals around midnight.  About 20 minutes after they took her I stopped trying to nap and began to sob uncontrollably.  It was honestly the WORST case of separation anxiety I've ever had!
I managed to stop crying once my fiancé came back but the anxiety has not subsided.  And I've tried EVERYTHING, I had the nurse take her back to the nursery so they could monitor her (so I wouldn't worry about SIDS), I've had several cups of chamomile tea, & I even got myself approved to take a small amount of Busbar (which is a low dose anti-anxiety med. that is safe for babies) but in the end all I could do was lay there wishing she was back in my arms.  

I'm proud of myself for making it the full 3 hours until her next feeding with out calling the nurse to bring her back in, but it was HELL laying there in the dark watching my fiance sleep.   The anxiety is only gone now because she is back in my arms.

Is this normal?  Are there any suggestions (other then to just relax, lol) that have worked for other anxious mommies in the past?  Or should I just ride it out?  

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED <3
It might be worse for you not to have her with you. We are all terrified that our babies won't wake up, especially with our first...but the only way I coupd get through it was just to have faith in him, and trust that he would keep breathing. Its much easier said than done, we've all spent the night watching them breathe only to regret it when they are awake and wont sleep and we're exhausted and wishing we'd taken the chance when we could.
Its not out of the ordinary to feel anxious, but it does soumd like you will need a little help to get through it, take the medicine religiously and it will probably help massively, but while doing so, keep trusting your baby to keep breathing, know that you will be doing everything in your power to be the best mum, and learn that there are some things which are outwith our control and we have to accept that. Its really hard, I know, I suffered from extreme anxiety and panic attacks after having my son, and until I learned to let some things go and deal with the present (instead of the "what ifs") it haunted me. Message me any time, I've just had baby #3 8wks ago so am, like you, dealing with a small baby, but 8yrs ago I was in a similar place to where you are now and if I can help in any way, I would like to try. Congratulations on your baby! :)