Pregnancy 18-24 Community
pregnancy and pain killers
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

pregnancy and pain killers

I'm 6months pregnant and am prescribed 25mgs of methadone and 30mgs of percocets
I was told that percocets aren't dangerous and that if I stay on less then 50mgs a day that there wouldn't be any withdrawal problems with the baby
Is this true or is my prenatal doctor b.s. me?@
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1510919_tn?1298828667
are you not worried about the baby having withdrawals from the methadone?
Blank
1145708_tn?1326827324
It wouldnt be in there interest to lie?? or b.s. I would of thought both drugs would cause withdrawls thow.. but im sure they know what there talkin about..
maybe you should do a little research online about it .. help ease your mind
hopefully your baby will be fine good luck
Blank
I work an addiction treatment centre and based on our research as well as research I've seen on television, babies do go through withdrawal after birth. Adults go through some sort of withdrawal after being prescribed those medications.  Think about how fragile a baby would be.  I would seek alternative medicine. Not sure what your health problem is but Acupuncture might help.
Blank
1330108_tn?1333680904
There is always a risk of withdrawal in baby when born when opiates are involved. If the drs think the benefits outweigh the risks than I'd say it's the right thing to do. I took vicodein during my entire pregnancy for a fractured spine and pelvis and my baby had no withdrawal. Never stop opiates cold turkey in pregnancy and never miss a dose as withdrawal in utero CAN cause miscarriage or fetal death.
Blank
I plan to stay under 50 mgs between the to meds and my doctor tells me they usually don't see withdrawal in babies at that dose. But any other info would be great
Blank
I work for a pain management Doctor and I am not sure about mathadone, but Percocet won't cross the placenta. I am a paranoid freak so I personally wouldn't take it, but clinically it's fine.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pregnancy 18-24 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank