Pregnancy 18-24 Community
pregnancy test flip flop - positive now negative ???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

At day 26 I had a very faint positive preg test, which was confirmed by my DR through a blood test on Wed. I would guess I am about 4 weeks - barely. My DR put me back on progesterone (100 MG) starting Wednesday night -- on Thursday I did two preg tests - one in the a.m. (digital kind, read "positive") and one in the evening that had the faintest barely there lines. Then this a.m.m (Friday) I did two more -- faintest pale line and now the digital test read NEGATIVE.

Does anyone have experience here? How can a test go positive back to negative? And does progesterone have anything to do with the readings? I am waiting for a call from the DR any time now with f/u blood test results - but this waiting is truly AGONIZING.

thanks for your advice
Im guessing you may have had a chemical pregnancy,he is somthing i copied and pasted.

A chemical pregnancy is the clinical term used for a very early miscarriage. In many cases, the positive pregnancy test was achieved before the woman's period was due but a miscarrige occured before a heartbeat was able to be seen on an ultrasound.

With the ultra sensitive pregnancy tests on the market today, it is easier than ever to get a positive result 3 or 4 days before your period is due. It is wonderful for those who NEED to know, but does have it's down side. Early testing shows chemical pregnancies which would not have been detected had the woman waited for her period to arrive.

Chemical pregnancies are unfortunately very common. 50 to 60% of first pregnancies end in miscarriage very early in pregnancy. Most occur without the woman even knowing that she was pregnant....

but hey it may not be.your urine may not have been strong enough,i wish you luck.
maybe a fluke? after soo many positives and a confirmed blood test, it just be one false reading! why take so many test after your doctor confirmed it? dont think im judging either b/c ive taken 3...im just waiting to go for bloodwork lol
I had that when I was pregnant the first time. I had 2 faint positives when I went to the hosp and then when I saw my obgyn. Then later, I had tested again, and I got a negative. My obgyn said that I prolly had a miscarriage and it takes a couple of weeks for the hormone to drop and to give that negative after giving that positive. If that's the case with you, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck to you.
thanks guys. Unfortunately looks like my HCG are dropping, and it will likely not result in a pregnancy. Let's hope 3 time is a charm.

Sorry to hear what's going on.  I had similar experiences - tested positive at home -b ut then for me by the time I made it to the dr I tested negative there and started bleeding.  Good luck on future efforts!  (After testing it was discovered I have a blood issue for which I take baby aspirin and am now 32 weeks pregnant.)
hi there, i took several prgnancy tests and yesterday 1 was very faint pos, when i took another later in the evening it was slightly darker pos, but when taking a diff test it was neg any ideas?
2-9 through 2-12 I had a light period that came and went through the 4 days. 2-15 I took a digital that said I was infact pregnant. Then on 3-3 i began to spot the bleeding has been light and on and off. It is now 3-5 and it seems to be gone. I have taken two tests that came back negative but have had no cramping etc. My stomach has been looking bloated for weeks now and I always seem to feel hungry. It sounds like a chemical pregnancy but im still not sure. So confused...any advice?
took to pregnancy test two day ago came out positive. took on today and it was negative. my breast have been leaking and feeling bad and my period is late. any advice???
Girly488...

have you taken ALL the tests with First morning urine?

x
Take another HPT test tomorrow morning and share the results with your physician.  If it is in fact negative through another blood test, it is most likely a chemical pregnancy as mentioned by tarajanes.  You and your doctor should then work together to find out the cause (infection, short luteal phase, thin lining, etc.) to avoid it from happening again.  With all this said, I remain hopeful that the HPT test from this morning was a dud and indeed you carry through with a full-term pregnancy.
Was the tests different brands? If so, it's possible they have different sensitivity levels. Also, were you taking them at the same time everyday. You should always test with first morning urine as this has the highest concentration of hCG in your urine. Retest in a few days with first morning urine and see what the results say.
This post originated in 2008 - - - just so everyone is aware.
Someone else asked a question an hour ago. That's what the responses are to.
i had 2 possitive tests about 6-7weeks ago, then a few days later at the docters it came back negative, i got told i probly had an early miscarridge but i still havnt bled ATALL! and still feeling sick.. ??
I started spotting after 12/26 after not having a regular period since 10/28 ( this last year my period has been out of whack).  The spotting continued to 1/6 so I called my dr who ordered me to do blood work. She called me the following day to tell me I am pregnant. That night I took one hpt, obviously positive and the following morning a hpt positive again. She called to tell me my hgc was only 87. I took another hpt today and a faint faint line. I had to redo blood work today. Pretty sure its going to be a miscarriage. :(  
i did a hpt on tuesday i had a very very faint line, i repeated it the next day and it came back negative, could i be pregnant or nt plz help!!
I took four pregnancy test yesterday an they all came posative but all with a faite line and after i had sex with my boy friend today i got scared becaus i was bleeding not alot so i took another and it was negative any one but my stomach has began to get bigger anyone help
a couple of months ago i took two test they were neg. and i took one a couple of days ago and it was postive but i have been having my period but they have been short. and i have a thing you can hear the babys heart beat and it feels like there is a baby in there and my stomach is big. could i be pregnant?
i see everyones questions but no answers can some 1 answer mine please lol i am soooo anxious!!! i went for my yearly check up and she said she did 2 test and i was prego t hen i doid 1 at home that day that was positive next day i did six all negative and a negative blood test. has any 1 else went from post to negative in 1 day and still ended up being pregnant full term?
ok so I had a pos pregnancy test yesterday then neg today ...i didnt take them at the same times. they r the same brand i have been feelin sick,sleepin alot and missed a period
I done a clear blue digital test 4 days before my periods and it said pregnant 1-2 weeks I done it today on my due date of periods and it said not pregnant and I have start my periods. Do u think it's a false positive?
False positives are extremely rare. Sounds like a chemical pregnancy.
I'm very sorry you're going through that. I received a few positive tests this weekend and im very nervous this going to happen to me. *hugs* and baby dust to you!!
19 years old ... im on the depo injection but only been on it over a month, ive had 3 pregnancy tests 2 show faint positives so took 1 more and came up negative... ive got all the symptoms of been pregnant can any one help ??
Took a preg.test last fri it was positive.next morning took two diff kind and same one as the positive one all came up neg. And 2 weeks be4 even thinking I could be prego or even no thought of taking a test I've been really tired and been sleeping a lot. I'm just confused I've been trying to concieve (conceive) for yrs and I've taking tests a lot and nver had one come up positive. Any one please help me and tell me wht you think?
Hi I had a positive blood pregnancy test at the hospital its a month and a half later and i end up going back in the er and now I have a neg blood test also I had my tubes tied 2 years ago almost Can anyone ecplain or has this happend to anyone else?