Pregnancy 18-24 Community
red wine and pregnancy??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

red wine and pregnancy??

anyone here think it is ok to have a small glass of red wine during 3rd trimester.I am asking because i am turning 21 this friday.I dont want to drink at all really i think it can wait,but people keep telling me it is ok?
Related Discussions
37 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
403255_tn?1278816866
I think okay but I would put lemonade in it. You'll proly get mixed reviews though.
Blank
341551_tn?1266984330
My best friends sister is Pregnant and she used to drink wine every night with dinner (before she got Pregnant) now she is 6 months along and her Doctor said a glass of wine once a week or once every other week is fine. She's been doing that since her second trimester and so far so good! I don't know if I would personally do it..but from what I've heard, a glass every now and then is fine. But definitely consult your doctor about it too just to make sure. Congrats!
Blank
193988_tn?1215027483
thanx i was just wondering,but im thinking it can wait.I wouldnt want to do anything that could harm my baby girl she will be here in just a couple weeks may 9 c-section..
Blank
285793_tn?1330368544
My sister had a glass of wine every now and then. I think its fine.....I wouldnt do it, but thats ME.
Blank
414635_tn?1272221293
Go ahead and enjoy it
Blank
280369_tn?1316705641
I am 37 weeks and since the 2nd trimester I have had red wine a few times a month. I enjoy it and have never had a problem! It is good every now and then and plus I'm Italian...so it's something my family does.  =) But it's completely up to you. Everyone is different. We don't have much longer to go until we meet our babies!! =)
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Why risk something that might possibly harm your bub? You have the rest of your life to drink alchohol. We avoid soft cheeses on the CHANCE that we might contract listeria, so why risk damage from a toxin? Large amount of alcohol are proven to damage the baby, small amounts my just affect brain function in area like - concentration, problem solving ect. It might affect the emotional stability of the child. After all, there are many minor problems that we don't know how are caused. How does a child develop ADD, ADHD or Dyslexia? Alcohol is a TOXIN. In an adult it affects the function of the liver and kidneys. More and more research in Australia is coming to the conclusion that there is no safe amount of alcohol. Why risk the baby that you have worked so hard to keep safe?
Blank
363110_tn?1340924019
Atlantisea~ It just depends on the person. ya know? I had an Amnio today, and that could result in the miscarriage.. so everyone makes their own choices to take risks.

Ladawn509~ I myself have had a glass of wine on occasion (red) a few times during this last month and a half. (maybe once every week or two)
At my ultrasound today, all was fine. :)
Cindie
Blank
230972_tn?1224473726
its proven that they cant guarentee what amount of alcohol is proven to cause F.A.S (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome). I watched a doco on it and its very scary. They showed different cases of it and its very alarming. I personally wouldnt risk it. No matter how much or how little alcohol its not worth the risk. There's alot of people who would do anything to be in your position so be proud to be the pregnant b'day girl!

HAPPY 21ST BIRTHDAY TOO! Have fun

Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
martikadragoon-

What you are saying about alcohol is not very well thought out.

The examples I made of possible effects (brain function and the regulation of hormones) are not things that would be picked up on an ultrasound.  

People used to put a teaspoon of whisky in their baby's bottle, (to help them sleep)          - now we know better...

People used to eat soft cheese and soft serve icecream, - now we know better...

People used to change kitti-litter,   - now we know better...

Just because something doesn't seem like it would affect bub doesn't mean it can't...

Alcohol is a DRUG that adults consume for PLEASURE.

You wouldn't expose your baby to Marajuana would you????
Blank
341551_tn?1266984330
Woah, what's wrong with soft serve icecreams? Thats a new one to me!
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Besides, there is a reason why you have to be over 18 yrs old (Australia) or 21 yrs old (America) to consume alcohol...

Alcohol is a drug, and it is not healthy for growing children/babies...

You are essentially forcing an under age person to consume a drug.

Why don't you allow them to grow up healthily and make their own decisions about what drugs they put into their bodies!
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Soft serve ice cream is permantly kept at fridge temperature. Listeria is a bacteria that is able to grow and live at refridgerator temperatures, and is very harmful to your unborn child...

Google effects of Listeria during pregnancy.
Blank
341551_tn?1266984330
Oh I have no doubt that Listeria is harmful to any unborn child, I just didn't know that about Softserve. Does that mean everything in your fridge is able to grow it??
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

Australian doctors list soft serve ice cream as more important than soft cheese to avoid. I found out because I tried to buy one (soft serve ice cream) while pregnant, and the girl informed me that it was store policy not to sell soft serve to pregnant women as they have been sued by pregnant mothers with defective babies...
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Yes, any thing kept in your fridge has the ability to grow it.
rice should not be eaten after the first day it was cooked, (rice grows bacteria quickly)
Dairy you should adhere strictly to the used by dates,
if you prepare food like coleslaw, you should only eat it on the first day it was made.
Dont eat creamy salads like coleslaw or potato salad from places like KFC or Mac Donalds.
Blank
341551_tn?1266984330
Huh thats pretty interesting....but you never answered my question, does that mean everything in your fridge is able to grow Listeria?

I don't think any Doctor should say whats more important to avoid...I mean if its dangerous to the fetus or has been known to be..they all should be avoided. It shouldn't be one thing over another. Thats almost like saying if you had to choose between Softserve and Soft Cheese, eat the Cheese...when that has been proven to have bad affects or defects on the fetus.
Was it proven that the Softserve caused the defect in those babies?
Blank
341551_tn?1266984330
OOps sorry didn't see your second post.
WOW so basically we're looking at boxed foods here! A lot of that is soo news to me, very interesting. Now I'm gonna be scared to eat anything from my fridge! haha.

Thanks for all the info!
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
If you cook a meal without dairy, I usually eat it within the first 3 days refridgeration (if it has no dairy)
We eat food in the fridge usually unless it smells bad or is mouldy.
Now quite likely there is bacteria present before our noses can smell it.
Our stomachs can tolerate a small amount of bacteria, but if there is too much, we become sick..
Listeria in a woman (not pregnant) creates an illness with flu-like symptoms.
In a pregnant woman - foetal damage or malformation.

So, if you don' t want to expose yourself to the listeria bacteria by accident, just reduce the amount of time that you would usually consider food to be - 'ok'.
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Yes, I agree with you, that does sound bad. It wasn't well stated by me. He didn't mean to choose to avoid certain foods over other less dangerous foods, he meant for me to avoid everything on his list. The reason it came out that way was because I asked him if I really had to avoid soft-serve... (I love frozen yoghurt)

As to the law suits, yes it was proven that listeria was the cause, and the shop in question tested positive for listeria in their soft serve machines. (which is quite common) All it takes is one drip left behind when they are cleaning the machine and poof- slightly older dairy grows a small amount of bacteria which spreads to new icecream mix...

Don't forget though - FRESH foods are best when pregnant. Raw vegies can't grow listeria. Forgot to mention that.
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Glad I could help...    :)
Blank
341551_tn?1266984330
Gotcha! So now I feel safe eating Raw Veggies, Fruits and boxed items! LOL Kidding.

Thanks for all the info, I really didn't know half of that!
Blank
300987_tn?1219987265
Some doctors say no alcohol while pregnant, some say it's okay to have a glass every now and then. If SOME doctors say NO, I would probably do what those doctors say. I didn't have any drinks while pregnant, and now that I am breastfeeding I still don't have any drinks. It's not worth the possible risk.
Blank
454592_tn?1229567639
happy 21st brithday i hate to be a party poop por but i ask my obgyn that same Q and she told me no . exp.  that far a long she told me that it can cause birth defets  so if i was you i thank i would wait but that's up to you its your boby and baby  
Blank
384896_tn?1335297931
I was told a glass of wine once or twice a week will not hurt the baby.
But it was pino grigio which is an Italian White Wine that I like.
My papa drinks it all the time, and I'm half Italian so I've taken to a few wines.
But I'm not sure about red wine.
White Whine is alot lighter so I guess it's better.

But wine is wine and it comes from the ground, so it will not harm your baby if it's dranken conciderately.

I was even told a beer once in a while is fine too.
Specially if you get bladder infections alot like I do.
My MIL told me she had a really bad bladder infection when she was pregnant with her second son, and the doc told her to go home and drink a couple beers.
To tell you it worked, her baby came out fine.
The beer flushed her system out.

So low alcoholic drinks like a wine cooler or beer or wine... it okay once in a while... just keep away from hard liquor.... any even TINY amount can hurt her.
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
You have contradicted yourself.
You stated that- 'keep away from hard liquor.... any even TINY amount can hurt her'
Well there is more than a tiny amount of liquor in wine...

And what is with the 'it comes from the ground, so it will not harm your baby if it's dranken conciderately'  ???

Marijuana comes from the ground also, does that mean that pregnant women can eat moderate amounts of it???

Not everything the ground produces is good. eg poisonous berries...

As for doctors recommeding beer,

Are you sure he had a medical license?

What culture is the doctor from? His recommendation may not be something that American/English/Australian doctors would advise...
Blank
193988_tn?1215027483
Yea i didnt think its worth the risk,as i said in my second post FYI (Atlantisea).After all i only have a couple weeks left.I can drink all i want then,though i dont really plan on it.Though my babie is healthy now i was on bed rest for a month and was bleeding very very heavy when i was just 24 weeks pregnat.
Blank
456039_tn?1302663748
I work with children with disabilities so I do know a thing or two about F.A.S. and it really is totally unknown. It is thought now that if a mother drinks an amount she normally does it most likely will not harm the baby it is when you go out side that amount. Why alcoholic mothers who can not quit drinking due to their addiction can have totally normal, unaffected babies and a mother who has a single drink once can have a F.A.S. baby. I personally don't think it would be worth the risk.
Blank
384464_tn?1217903443
Wine is Alcohol ! Try grape juice instead.
Blank
400885_tn?1297702518
I wouldn't drink wine but it is up to you. Wine does have alcohol and you shouldn't be drinking alocohol when you are pregnant I would wait.
Blank
303706_tn?1296879749
My birthday was the other day and everyone else except me was able to drink. My friend suggested a glass of wine for me, I've read that a glass of wine is okay, but I still didn't do it. Not just that but I think it tastes nasty...so then I just stuck with a virgin margarita.
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Just thought I'd bump this up to show to the person that posted the alcohol question..
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Did that work?
Blank
290018_tn?1240369468
Aww..that stinks that you are pregnant and about to be 21.  We have been TTC for some time now and I kept joking that with my luck I would end up being pregnant on my 21st birthday...we don't party or anything but I did want to order a drink that night.  I just made it.  I turned 21 on april 14th.  (we couldn't go out that night because my son was throwing  up) so we went out on April 18th and I had 2 drinks. I ovulated on the next day April 19th and we got pregnant...lol.  My doctor told me to have a drink while TTC that it would help me relax and maybe help the process, Guess he was right.  
Blank
325319_tn?1220591998
how bout you just drink a bottle of sparkling cider :) or if you want they do make alcohol removed wine. my friend brought some over to a housewarming party we were at a few weekends ago for me and the pregnant host, i thought that was pretty cute, i hadnt seen it before. but i am NOT a wine person, i think its disgusting so id opt for sparkling cider in a wine glass! :)
Blank
325319_tn?1220591998
oh god were retarded..you already had your baby and were giving you advice..i didnt even see this post was from over a month ago..LOL
Blank
448723_tn?1301458558
Bumping this again for the person that posted the wine question....
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pregnancy 18-24 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...