Pregnancy 18-24 Community
refusing a c section

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

refusing a c section

my doc just told me he will be scheduling a c section cuz baby on sono weighed in at 9.7lbs at 37 weeks. can i refuse? i know i can have this baby vaginally i doubt hes that big. i have another sono next week to check weight again but he said hes sure hes too big. please help me on what to do
TRY INDUCTION first. Why Csection? Have him induce you, im sure its much safer then doing a c section. AND also a ultrasound is very unaccurate late in pregnancy ESP with the weight of the baby. It can go up to two lbs both ways. good luck!

I know id probably try my best to be induced ASAP with a 9 lb baby, I would never do an elective Csec just bc that doc would have issues for the rest of his life, if my baby was smaller then that.
yea i know i tried to ask for an induction and he said they dont induce over the babies size well not before 39 weeks and that the baby is too big. believe me i dont want a c section i want to refuse it. but can i
Yes, you can refuse it! This is your body and your baby. Tell them you want to wait it out and see what further tests show. I like many others on here were told we were carrying over 9lb babies and then delivered much smaller babies. Besides many women have had 9+lb babies vaginally... I was over 9lbs myself and my mom had me just fine. Good luck!
I THINK he is SUPPOSED to AT LEAST do an amnio and see if babies lungs are mature.

That is a pathetic doctor you have !!!!! I cant believe he HAS the nerve to CUT you open without anything proven and WILL NOT induce you. WOW.

REfuse the c section, Id Ask to see another doctor in his group and tell them you need an amnio done to see if lungs are mature and with the amnio it should be alright to start induction.
My son was almost 10 lbs.  First pregnancy, first delivery and I had him vaginally.  No one ever suggested that I couldn't or shouldn't. I got him out in about 10 pushes, no problem.  I can't understand a doctor that would be so ready to cut you open.  Are you a very tiny lady?  That is the only reason I could think he might want to do that, but even then, being really small doesn't mean you can't delivery vaginally. I hope it all works out for you sweetie.  Good luck!
Legally they can NOT force you into a c-section.  You have EVERY RIGHT to refuse one.  Do NOT let them talk you into it without a medical necessity.  You should be able to attempt to delivery vaginally, then, if the baby gets stuck or other complications arise a c-section can be discussed. There are MANY women who deliver large babies vaginally.

All of that aside...ultrasounds are only ESTIMATES of the babies size/weight.  Doctors have "estimated" a baby to be over 10 lbs and it was born 7 lbs - 8 lbs and vice versa.  

Check out ICAN ONLINE.  Just do a google search for it.  It has a LOT of good information on c-sections.

Legally speaking however you CAN refuse one.  
It is really rare that a woman's body will grow a baby she can't birth. I hate that your doctor is so eager to cut you open. Those sonograms can be off 2lbs. I would refuse too.
I would refuse it, if you do not want it....you can do that...They told me with my second that he was over 8 pounds and when I had him, he came out 6 pounds...My dr did tell me with this last one I just had that at 30 weeks she was over 6 pounds, but that was by feeling, not sono, and he told me that if she got much bigger I would probably have a c-section..but, he said he was going to let me try to labor vaginally first, and then IF it came to a point that it wasnt working then we would address the c-section.. but the only reason he was worried about her weight was because I am a very small person, I am tall but very skinny..I have had three kids and still a size 0 at best...but he induced me at 39 weeks, I did it all natural no meds, and she was born right at 8 pounds....

so, basically what I am trying to say out of my novel is...if you dont feel comfortable, DONT DO IT....do what you feel is right for you and baby....it is your body
funny with my last baby she measured just slightly bigger than your according to u/s and my doctors never once brought up a csection. I went into labor 2 days later and gave birth vaginally to a whopping 7 lb 6ozs girl, lol! First off u/s can be off (I know first hand)  and secondly I would refuse and ask for an induction if they want to monitor you so badly. I agree that even if you go to 40 weeks with a large baby you can still have a vaginal delivery, it happens all the time. You have the choice, they dont unless there is a medical reason they cant force you.
Good luck!
I forgot to add, when they did the u/s I was also 37 week. She measured almost 10 lbs!! Yah she was only 7lbs 6 ozs born 2 days later, lol!
You can always give it a shot naturally and if it doesn't work, you'll end up with a csection anyways. With induction, your chances of csecion arer even higher, about 50 percent
My husband's grandmother delivered a 13 lb baby vaginally, I know a woman who's mom delivered a 15 lb baby...I think the record weight is 16 lbs...DO NOT let him tell you that you have to have a c-section. There's no medical reason to right now, baby's size is ONLY an estimate...my dr said u/s measurements for weight are just as good as putting your hands on your belly to see how big the baby is...in other words, NOT very accurate. They have to have your permission to do a c-section, they can't just make you. I'd tell them no, that you want to try vaginally first, and if you're not dilating or the baby gets stuck/you push for a long time and nothing happens THEN you'll discuss a c-section.
thank u all for your answers and support. I will be refusing this because I think they r wrong about his size. keep an eye out and ill post what he actually weighed once hes born. id say the 19th or after unless i go on my own before. I wont go past the 26 due to 3rd round of gestational diabetes. I know I can have this baby naturally. thank you
updating like i said i would. my son was born on jan 15 and he only weighed 9 pounds. i delivered him naturally after being induced for preeclampsia. he did have a huge head tho 15 inches. he got stuck for a bit at the eyebrows and it was painful but at least no surgery. unfortunately insuline can sometimes slow down the lungs and even tho he was term he is still in the nicu. he had pulminary hypertension and was on a vent but is recovering well now and we hope to bring him home in the next couple days.
CONGRATS!  I'm so glad you trusted your instincts and went vaginally.  So many women think docs always know what's best and have unneccessary c-sections.  I hope he continues to do well and will be home in your arms before you know it.
I just wanted to add that a lady I know was told she was gonna have at least a 9 pound baby and In fact ended weighing 12 lbs 5 oz and was 24" long.  She said she will never have a baby vaginally again even if it's a 6 pounder.. Just thought I'd let u know! Good luck
O I also wanted to add that during the labor part it was to late to do c section and baby got stuck and they had to pull it out with forceps literally like a tug a war..
Neecy- I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! You did a great job! Good for you for sticking to your guns and going after that vaginal birth. Big babies can be born vaginally; it was made to stretch and accommodate babies of all sizes and it is rare when a baby can't fit through their mother's birth canal. I just can't say it enough- CONGRATS!!!

StinaKaye- that is not a very helpful or uplifting story for someone asking for help for a natural birth rather than cesarean. Also women have been known to give birth to babies over 13-lbs vaginally when supported by a good labor team and especially if she is able to push in a position other than on her back in bed. And as you can see Neecy updated to say she did have her 9-lb baby vaginally and is very happy with her birth!
CONGRATS Neecy!!! good job sticking to your guns!!!! they kept predicting that my son would be well over 10lbs...more like 12...and I was off-handedly offered an elective c-section, but my OB (who is an AWESOME doctor said) "you're crazy if you don't at least try first...forget the c-section unless we absolutely HAVE to" so nervously I went for a vaginal...as I was pushing I was joking about how big everyone thought the baby would be and everyone was guessing 10..11...he came out 7lbs 10oz...easy as pie delivery, instant recovery...no down time whatsoever. I was so PROUD that I stuck to my guns and went for it, and I'm so PROUD that you did too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It has nothing to do with whether YOU are a small person or not. It has to do with the size of your birth canal, which is of no relation to your all over size. There are a few reasons why they would suggest that, one being that your cervix is likely to tear, which can be very difficult to close up and you could lose a dangerous amount of blood. I would talk to your dr. and tell him that you don't want it. I'm sure that you can at least negotiate something that you would be more comfortable with. But you should trust your Dr. and if you don't, then you should get a new one. After all, they are the ones who went to school and have the degrees and the knowledge, not us.
she had her baby vaginally (^ see update ) January 15th, yay :-)
thank you all again!! i did do it and even tho it was crazy painful im glad of my decision. my baby is home now!!!:) yay he is an angel. he came home monday at 11. My family is complete again and my heart filled with joy. Thanks again. its been a long 11 days!! lol
Congratulations and I am proud of you for being your own advocate!! Congrats again!