Pregnancy 18-24 Community
short femur questions**updated story

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

short femur questions**updated story

I never posted my questions and worries when I was pregnant with my son but I obsessed and read everyone else's for the last 3 months of pregnancy.  I wanted to post this for anyone who went through the same thing.  No one ever posts updates or positive stories.  We were told at an ultrasound (29wks) to check for placenta previa, that our son's femur measured in the 6th percentile and it was a soft marker for down syndrome.  I obsessed and cried over this the rest of my pregnancy.  A repeat ultrasound to check his growth at 32 weeks revealed the same thing but now his humerus measured in the 9th percentile.  I researched online...some stories reassured me and some confirmed my worst fears.  I was terrified that my baby would have down syndrome.  We elected not to do any genetic screening in the 1st trimester so all we could do was wait.  Because of my worries, my ob sent me to a perinatologist at 34 weeks.  The measurements were worse.  His femur was < 2percentile and his humerus was <5th percentile.  In fact, all of his long bones were less than the 5th percentile and put him behind in growth by 3-4 weeks.  She reassured me though that he had no other soft markers and looked healthy.  The genetic ultrasound at 20weeks also revealed no abnormalities.  I managed to get through the last few weeks and gave birth to a HEALTHY baby measuring 20 inches!  He is a perfectly healthy, happy 7week old now!  Measurements can be off and all babies grow at different rates.  I will admit his pants are a little long on him but nothing abnormal!  Hope this helps a worried mommy-to-be.

This discussion is related to short femur and humerus.
thank you so much for your story! I just had my 20 week scan last thursday (when I was 19 weeks) and they are telling me that my babes long bones are all <5th percentile. They are measuring 3-4 weeks behind. Also they 'think' he has short ribs and maybe a bell shaped chest but can't be sure. So, now Im waiting for my level 2 US next tuesday. I cannot think of anything else. They say that it's suspicious of a lethal form of dwarfism...Im just praying so hard that the measurements were wrong! out of the 8 or so indications of the disease, he has appears to have 3 (short bones, short ribs, chest). I hope I can post a happy ending like you!!!
Thank you so much for sharing your story. Our ultrasound at 18 weeks and 6 days had revealed a healthy baby boy with no abnormalities. All bloodwork testing for abnormalities during that time had also come back normal, further reassuring us that things were fine. However, last week we had another ultrasound at 24 weeks and 6 days along that left us both in tears and utterly confused. The technichian once again told us that our son looked great in all areas except for his femur bones, which were now measuring in about the 5th percentile and indicated a chance of down syndrome. Like yourself, I also opted not to have the amnio done, being that the risks seem to outway the benefits at this point. I am beside myself with worry over this, though, and pray to God that things will be fine. Stories such as your own continue to give me hope.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers