Pregnancy 18-24 Community
smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

smoking

I am 18 weeks pregnant with my first child. Ive been smoking a pack and a half a day until today. I go in for my ultrasound in four days and i am scared. will my baby come out with low birth weight? Or other problems?
Yes they can. Smoking is extremely detrimental on the adult body let alone a fetus. The child could have low birth weight, breathing problems, asthma, stillbirth, birth defects, etc etc. Smoking after the child is born also places them at an increased risk of SIDS, slow lung growth, etc etc. You will ALWAYS hear about how this person did it and their babies were fine, similar to how women abuse drugs while pregnant and their babies are fine. Just because one person can do it does NOT mean all can. If you can stop, it would be in your best interests to do so.

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/alcohol_smoking.html
I smoked up until I was 28w on my 1st child I was a heavy smoker and smoked weed before I found out I was pregnant, when I found out I gave up weed and cut from 40 rags to 20 fags a day. It was hard but I did force my Self to give up in the end. My daughter was completely healthy but some people don't get that lucky. I haven't smoked now for 1 year 5 months n I feel great. It would help your child a lot if you gave up. And there are plenty of people on this site that can help you if you want to talk. Good luck
I'm almost 18wks I've been trying to quit since i was 3mnths i had a very hard time when i found out so it was the last thing on my mind!! Now I've cut dwn from 6 cigs to 4 a day n even 2-3!! I keep my pack with my neighbour cus if i hve them ill smoke them. But i did quit in the beginning 3 days n now its harder i don't know why. But i feel if I'm smoking 2-3 a day ill quit when i feel my baby move. I know sounds selfish but i know then it'll hit mee hardcore! N ill stop and when i do i don't wanna start ever again! Good luck
Stop smoking. U don't want ur baby to have a lot of complications if not now later in life itll hit the baby big time I see it all the time...
I am 17 weeks and I recently quit smoking. Because you are a heavier smoker you should start cutting back a pack a day ten a day 5 a day down to none. I did it cold turkey. The worst thing is the cravings. But honestly it is all mind over matter. You have to believe you are stronger than the habit. Your child is your motivation!!!
My mom smoked with me and I was 4 weeks early, have asthma, chronic ear infections, and weighed less than 5lbs. I actually did a research paper on the affects of smoking and pregnancy and while some babies may experience minimal affects or some moms might "think" their babies are completely healthy; what they don't realize is that the asthma or allergies their child has is related to smoking while pregnant. One of the main causes is that smoking builds up in the placenta and causes a reduced blood, oxygen, and nutrition flow to the baby (that's part of reason for low birth weight). I highly recommend quitting as soon as possible.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers