Pregnancy 18-24 Community
surgery while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

surgery while pregnant

So last night I got to go to the hospital for the 4th time this week. I had to get 5 stitches and a splint for my thumb because I cut myself when I was opening a toy and my son came too close to the knife. Better my thumb then his eye. But they said they weren't giving me a tetanus shot, they'd rather risk it because I'm pregnant. They referred me to a hand specialist for possible nerve damage and the specialist said I may need surgery. If I couldn't get a shot, can I get surgery? It's not a major organ being cut open, it's just a thumb but I'm afraid of whatever they use to put me to sleep would affect the babies. Would they fall asleep too, would it cause them to lose oxygen, or worse? Or does it not affect them at all? I'd rather have a crippled hand then put them in danger. Has anyone ever had surgery while pregnant?
Hii mara. I actually just had surgery,friday on my foot,n have to b on crutches for 12 weeks! Unreal! But,the thing is im waitn to see,if in preg  I had my iud takn out march 14th afta havn it in,for 5 yrs .. March 17th I bled lightly for about 3 days  im due for my periodi I guess   its all messd up,i havnt bleed in ova to yrs due to,the,iud  me n my man r tryn too hav one tho lol.. Anyways  I could b pregnant,n u was under,anethesia cuz of my surgry.. The preg test they took rite before was neg but I feel I am   mayb it,was to soon to tell im gunna try fri n see if I,get a period or a positive!   If ur doc knows ur preg  hell,make sure he only gives u wat u can hav  unless u,didnt tell,him, id tell sumone
My doc is watching a femoral hernia I developed near the time I became pregnant. He did say if it got bad enough, they would operate to repair it during my pregnancy, but fortunately, it hasn't so I didn't have to inquire more about the logistics. Good luck, and I'm glad your little boy is ok!
I have not had surgery during a pregnancy but have avoided a few until afterwards. They were all much more invasive though. I will venture to say they would take extra precautions for the babies and monitor them as well. I almost wonder if you would have to be put under. I had surgery on my tounge I was awake for and I hear of the knee surgery also allowing that option! On the flip side I have a non cancerous brain tumor that is large if it grows bigger it will take my sight away from me. So being 30 weeks now I feel it may not be a problem during this pregnancy but if it becomes one they will operate. If not it will be taken after this pregnancy! Either way I would be willing to bet your surgery would be safe in one way or another! Good luck!
My sister had to have her gull bladder out while pregnant and they thought they would have to takeep mine out too. My niece is over 1 and going great! It will be OK!
if its something that can wait till after i would wait but generally the Dr would weigh out the pros and cons and discuss this with you... i know other moms who had surgery but it was necessary at the time and was needed ASAP... the location plays a role for increasing risks and because its not anywhere near your abdomen that would be a plus as there is not chance of cutting the uterus... so basically the risks would be what medications they need to use and if/what the affects could be on your baby :)

As far as not getting the tetanus vaccine... im not actually sure why they didnt feel comfortable?its not a live virus... i know some wont give it in the first trimester (even tho its still considered safe...i think they feel comfortable waiting till the 2nd-just cause but you cut yourself so the bebnfits would potentially out weigh the risks?) but as far as i know most Drs want your vaccines to be up to date during pregnancy(and i know not all vaccines are considered safe so not all reccomended) but as far as i know this one is considered safe... and reccomended...
I had my appendix removed while I was pregnant with my son. It was terrifying especially since it was my stomach (my lower stomach even) they were cutting open. But everything went fine and my baby is 3 now. They will tell you the truth about the complications for you and baby but truthfully it's not as scary as you would think. Good luck
Thanks everyone I talked to that doctor today when he cakked to remind me and said I have to have an xray. Even with the jacket I'm gna hold my hand as far away from my body and he said being preg is deff no problem but he does wanna do surgery if the xray doesn't show up good. I have a follow up appt tomorrow with my obgyn for when I was dehydrated and almost passed out in the shower, so I'm going to update her and clear any meds I might have to take. The hospital was all for giving me the shot, but the pharmacy denied them and said it was too big a risk I'd get it. I would like to know why, but I'm hoping it doesn't turn into anything since I just got that knife a few weeks ago.