Pregnancy 18-24 Community
swelling in just one leg?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

swelling in just one leg?

so i know about ankles and feet swelling during pregnancy but for the past 2 days ive had swelling in just one leg? just one ankle is huge and my foot and today my knee started hurting pretty bad. any had this happen? know what may cause it? im not to worried yet as where the swelling is it isnt painful and my knees have always been bad so it "may" not be related... but just in case im asking for input=)
thanks ladies!

I would definitly call the doctors.  Im not sure but i think swelling in just one leg is unusual.  It could be somthing non pregnancy related.
Good luck and keep us posted

Kazwel
My left ankle and foot is way more swollen than my right, and has been for weeks (I started swelling around 28 weeks). I have no idea why it's only on one side, but my doc said it's nothing to worry about. If you've always had bad knees, the added weight and shift in center of gravity probably is causing the knee pain. Sorry to hear that! You may be able to alleviate some swelling by staying hydrated and propping your feet up at night.... ahh, the joys are never-ending! :-P

I would call the doctor... you could have something else going on like Kazwel said.  Better to be on the safe side :)
I never had any pain associated with the swelling, but any time my feet/ankles would swell, it was always worse in my right leg than my left... and in the beginning, the right ankle and foot would swell while my left leg stayed the same.  Very weird.  Sorry no advice... but I did have the same thing happen.  
i tried to call my doctor but it was past 5pm i left a message, unless it gets really big guess ill wait till there open tomorrow
ShadowSerpent,

A couple questions: Is the leg hot to the touch? Painful?  
if so you need to get it checked out ASAP. K?

it can be symptoms of a DVT or Deep Vein Thrombosis or a blood clot of the leg. They're more common in pregnant women as we have more blood to move and sometimes our hearts aren't strong enough to pump it all sufficiently.

It's better safe than sorry!! They can do an easy test called a Doppler which is an ultrasound of your leg that goes from groin to ankle to make sure it's NOT a blood clot.
Do you lay on that side with the swollen leg when you sleep?  I noticed that one leg would swollen more than the other if I stayed on that leg the whole time I slept
actually i do lay on that side more, but when i sleep the swelling goes away, but the doctors called back and said as long as there was no redness, heat, a fever, spots in my vision or headacxhes, and no pain, that i should be ok. since i have none of those symptoms just have the swelling ill just elevate my legs as much as possible and drink fluids!
that's great that the doctor called back!!!
Shadowserpant

I had the same issue in my left leg, calf area only. I went in to the ER and they did an ultrasound on my leg to make sure I didnt have a clot. They didnt find a clot but they said I have pregnancy related CVI- Chronic Venous Insufficiancy(sp). It is when the vein in my leg refuses to close, therefore my blood in my leg doesn't circulate very well. I have to make sure I dont get an injury because I have to treat it as if I was diabetic.
wow bts that messed up! i swear i was freaking out because right as this all started my car became unable to drive and my hospital is 30 minutes away! so if something is wrong i have hardly any way to get there! but as long as i dont see any worsening symptoms im gonna tough it out! hope your cvi goes away for you!
Thanks, Take it easy on that leg lol, dont want to end up being a 1 legged pregger woman lmao thats what my DH always says. I hope the swelling goes away for you. I know my doc said to go to the ER ASAP if there is heat and pain where the swelling is, I guess it is a sign of a clot. I wish ya luck and hope all goes well, drink plenty of water and have your DH/DB do all the work while you sit on your bum and relax lol.
I had that as well.

My doctor told me it was because the baby was sitting mostly on the one side. Nothing to be concerned about unless it gets painful.
ok i am 4 weeks and 5 days and am having the samething so i was glad to read this and i feel better ! espically with it being summer it is even harder to deal with the swelling! good luck everyone on your journey !
Hi, I spoke with 3 doctors and none of them help me whatsoever, one said that is because baby sitting on the left side, another said ''keep your leg up'' another said me that is normal, drink wather. Honestly I don't believe that they really care about patients. Bad impressions.
It could be blood clot related. Which it could be genetic and issues with blood clots can be more dangerous during your pregnancy due to blood circulation. Since we make like more blood when pregnant. I would suggest you get that checked immediately with a doctor. Just to be in the safe side. God bless and good luck!