Pregnancy 18-24 Community
thyroid and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

thyroid and pregnancy

I have a under-active thyroid and see my Primary doctor ever 3 months for blood work and I am on medication to keep it regulated. I just saw her yesterday and she let me know that my thyroid is under-active again and now that I am pregnant it is very important for it to be normal so I don't miscarry. I am so freaked out now.. I have no idea that my thyroid could cause a miscarriage. I am almost 11 weeks pregnant and have to see a endocrinologist on friday. I take my pills every day and I am just worried. Has this happened to anyone? Thanks.
it happens in pregnancy. i have hypothyrodism too.mine went 12!! and i was taking med. wat is ur number. you wont misscary . its not that easy. i can understand i was freakedout too. but you already taking meds. so number wont go thatmuch heigh. my frd had hypothyroid too. when she delivered baby her was 22. and her thyroid went never go below 11. she has very healthy inteligent baby. so dont worry
I know when you have thyroid problems it makes it very difficult to get pregnant. My mother had/still has thyroid problems and after she had my little brother she couldn't get pregnant again. (well she did about 6 times, but couldn't carry the pregnancies past 6 or 7 weeks) They figured out it was her thyroid and now she is on medication which helps most of the time but her numbers still fluctuate from time to time.
The fact that you are already 11 weeks is a good sign. I would just keep taking your medication and see what the doc says on friday. I'm sure it will all work out!!
Thank you for replying

Illsurvive- I do not no my numbers but she said it was just below "normal" and only slightly under-active. But she still made it a point to let me know that I could miscarry because of it so that's why I got so nervous. She's a kind of straight to the point doctor. She switched my medication so I am not taking a generic anymore.

Chantal, I only got thyroid problems after my daughter was born. My doctor said it is common for women to sometimes develop thyroid issues and birth. She also said the 1st trimester is the most crucial time and most important time to keep my numbers under control. So I hope I just get out of this danger zone quickly
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers