Pregnancy 18-24 Community
toporol XL & fetal PAC???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

toporol XL & fetal PAC???

i have been on toporol XL since about 16wks pregnant due to some heart issues. i am now 35wks and was told last week they saw his heart skipping beats and his bpm was on the low side 120bpm. my ob suggested i stop taking the meds and sent me to a high risk ob who told me to continue taking them. i only take 25mg a day but could this med have caused my son to have premature beats? i also cant find anything on what to expect after hes born. im already 5cm and 80% and the speacialist arnt saying much other then it could correct itself and they dont know wut caused it. im getting a little frusterated with all the COULD be fine answers. id like to know what to expect if it dosnt correct itself so im not blind sided after hes born. any insight would be great. thanks
I'm really not sure...I know that some of the betas can cause PACs and PVTs, so I would imagine that it could be doing the same for him....? I didn't have any PACs when i was on toprol but I do have them occasionally now that I'm on Inderal XL.....I'm 22wks and they haven't noticed any PACs on my son either yet. Were there any skipped beats before the last exam or is this the first time? Could be he's just ready to be born and he's under some physical stress...

idk but I would call the Matern/Fet. Medicine expert and ask what he thinks about it...i know he says he doesn't know what caused it, but ask him if he medicine could POSSIBLY have caused it. obviously you should keep taking it, but ask him whether it may have caused the PACs and if he will need to be on medication after birth, or weaned, or whatever other questions you might have...My Maternal/Fetal Medicine expert is fantastic and I would always call him if I had a question...

good luck hon, I hope it's just the meds and it all clears up after birth...I know you're probably scared but hang in there, 120bpm is a LITTLE low but not dangerous, and PACs can be harmless.
everytime we asked her a question shed give us a dirty look and answer with i dont know or it could correct itself after birth. my husband was so upset with her when we left. last week was the first time they saw anything but i hadnt had a sono for 2mo prior to that. when asked what happens if it dosnt correct its self her answer was dont worry about that right now and we will keep a close eye on this baby. they were very rude and this was the third time id been there, the first was 3 mo ago for wut they thought was a shortend cervix and when they saw it was fine she said well have them send u back up here if theres anything else they wanna fuss about. my reg ob is great but this high risk palce is awful and its a 45 min drive to get there. i just really want to know wut to expect after birth if its still there and they wont give me an answer.
oh that is horrible that she treats you like that :(....will your OB talk with you about it? Maybe a cardiologist would be the one to call...or even better, a pediatric cardiologist...I'm not sure if PACs correct themselves, but I know they can be caused by the beta-blocker.

I hope you get some answers....good luck hon