Pregnancy 18-24 Community
twins born early

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

twins born early

I am having twin girls and am 28 weeks along my doctors dont think that i will make it paast another two weeks. I dont know what the chances are that they will make it and live healthy lives.
Well after 28 weeks they do have the ability to survive as most of their organs are developed.  It is not until after 32 weeks when their lungs are completely developed.  They will probably give you some shots to mature their lungs before delivery.  They will probably be in the NICU for a little but that depends on how well they are breathing, how they are eating, and if they are gaining weight.  They have NICU's now that recreate the mothers womb for the most part.  These days the medical technology is so advanced.  Good luck and I hope the best for you and your girls.  
I had my third at 30 weeks and she only stayed in the NICU for 14 days! She came home at 3lbs 15oz. I had the selestone shots to help develope her lungs. Also all mine were born early and I was told that stress developes them faster. My first two born at 35 and 36 weeks came home with in 24 hours. The fact that they know and can give you the shots helps and they really have so much know to help them! They kept Lilah for the 2 weeks since they said that babies wear out after a week then do good again. I saw lots of babies do this and lots not. Lilah did not. I am sure they will be fine and for everyday they stay in yoru tummy gives them a week off the NICU is what they said. WHen it is time it will all work out. Oh yeah why are you going early? I had prom but did not go into labor for three days so they ahd me in the hospital as long as they could. But like I said she was 30 weeks and did fine from the start! And she has had no complications whatso ever!
My sister delivered her twins around 24.5 weeks because she had devoloped toxemia, and the only cure was to deliver. It would have been fatal for my sister to continue the pregnancy, so she had an emergency c-section. One of her girls had to have blood tranfusions at birth. They weighed 2lb 8 oz, and 3 lb, 13 oz. They are now 21.5 years old and completely healthy, normal, and thriving! Best of luck, but technology has come such a long way and baby girls are "stronger" than baby boys, so I think they could have a perfectly normal life. My nieces were in the NICU for quite some time, and both had apnea and were released with heart monitors, but by about 10-14 months, they were totally "normal." =)  Best of luck!
yep they definitely have a good chance of surviving! at 26 weeks they're chances increase to 80-90%. my cousin was delivered at 24 weeks and she is perfectly healthy!! just stay in bed and don't get up for anything except maybe to pee or go to the doctor! :) no sex either.
I had my first baby at 28 weeks , it was'n twins, but they gave my steriod shots (in the butt) to help develope his lungs. He was only 3 lbs even, but he came out screaming and never ever had to have oxygen, they did have a machine blow room air on his face to remind him to breath. I am not sure if it is the exact same with twins, but my Dr told me 28 weeks is really when the babies have a much better chance of making it, I guess at 28 weeks, barring any unseen medical conditions babies have an 80% chance of making, higher than I thought. It is sad that your babies need to come ,so early but at least they know and can give you the medical attention to help them get off to a good start. and if you do delivier at 30 weeks they have a very good chance of making it! good luck and will be praying for you and your babies!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers