Pregnancy 18-24 Community
working out dangerous in the 1st trimister!!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hi there,

I need your advice on working out. i am currently 7 weeks pregnant and before i got pregnant i was overweight but worked out and ate healthier which helped me get closer to my ideal weight, however i fell pregnant before that happened. i use to go to the gym three times a week and do rigrious spinning classes and aerobics. After i found out i am pregnant someone at the gym in addition to my family advised that i avoid any sort of working out cause i could trigger a miscarriage. anyway i havent worked out at all for the past 7 weeks and have been giving in to cravings and starting to put on weight. the weight is not the issue, i am just feeling horrible that i am not working out anymore, i feel sluggish, tired and out of energy and miss the gym so much. what shall i do, is it true that working out is dangerous in teh first trimister. please help

thanksxxx
working out can cause problems. but you should stop altogether. gentle walking swimming and anything else slower than what you used to do wont do any harm. just remember to take it easy and if you're in any doubt talk to your midwife or someone qualified down the gym.
i worked out through my entire pregnancy.  i think it's very important to keep your energy up and especially towards the end to prepare your body for the tough labor.  i used to run, but off course stopped that.  i have been using denise austin's fit and firm pregnancy video, swimming, and taking walks.  as stokie said, keep it up, just don't overdo yourself.  talk to your doctor about dos and don'ts of working out.  congrats on your pregnancy!!  :-)
I give Krissy's post 2 thumbs up!
My doc says that there are new studies that show that strenuous activity during the beginning of pregnancy - while implantation is still taking place can lead to early m/c.  I have had 4 m/c and am very active at my gym.  I have stopped exercising and will resume a light work out once I am into my 2nd trimester.
My doctor told me that you can continue to do whatever your body is used to pre-pregnancy.  If you ran, you can run.  If you are a walker, continue to walk.  If you never ran, don't start now.  He said that some people work in a job where they lift 75 lbs. on a daily basis.  They can continue to do that, but don't start that type of job if you didn't do it prior to pregnancy.  I'm a walker, so I just try to do it 3 days per week.  I don't walk as quickly.  Apparently, it's good to exercise, because it helps during delivery.  Hope this helps!
After two m/c's the doc told me that I could no longer run or do vigorous exercises and to keep my heart rate under 120 while exercising. I can however, walk, swim, or anything else considered moderate to light exercise. I was also able to bike ride until recently, they say past a certain point your center of gravity is off too much and that it would be best not to bike ride anymore. That way you don't accidentally fall. I am in the same boat as you. I weighed close to 250 and went on a strict diet and exercise routine. I got down to 175. Then got pregnant gained 15 lbs but miscarried again at 12 weeks. I then had one period and get preggers again so I didn't really have time to lose the 15 lbs I had gained. Although, this time around I am at a gain of about 4-5 lbs and I am almost 20 weeks. I was very nauseous up until a few weeks ago and had lots of food aversions.
this is a very controversial subject. ive always been told that if you worked out prior to getting pregnant... then it is safe to continue to do so after. every doctor is different and will tell you something different.
I'd say do as much as it feels comfortable.  I would continue going to the gym but if you start feeling weird then take a break or stop and continue later or try again the next week.  Also remmember that on your first trimester you WILL be tired and run down, so its not necesarily the lack of working out, it may just be your body going through changes.