Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Baby 'shivering' inside the womb? more odd fetal movement ?&#...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

Baby 'shivering' inside the womb? more odd fetal movement ?'s from me!

This may end up sounding really odd, but last night I woke up and was really panicking. I am 28 weeks as of yesterday, and my baby's movement has slowed down slightly in the last few weeks,because she is really growing now. I don't feel as many jerky kicks now, a few, but mostly rolling and her getting under my ribs. I woke up last night, and I was sort of laying on my stomach, but still on my side, and the baby felt like it was shaking inside my belly! (lasted just a few seconds, 2-3, maybe) It was such an odd feeling, and it really started to scare me...It was a slight shivering/shaking movement that reminded me of what one looks like when having a seizure. Mind you, I was half asleep, lol! But I thought to myself, oh no, is is possible to have a seizure in the womb!?! I was so worried something could be wrong, because I have never felt that feeling before w/ my first PG, and this was a first w/ this one! What is going on, could something be wrong in there? What would cause a baby to shake in the womb? I've never felt it before, and I have never heard anyone talk about baby's moving that rapidly in the womb. I am sorry if this sounds completely out there! I swear I am awake now, lol! What do you think it was? My baby is still moving fine this morning, and I havn't felt anymore 'earthquakes' in my belly as of yet..help!~bops
The movement you felt is normal.
Its funny you mention this.  A lot of ladies here on MedHelp describe a "vibration" and shaking inside, but I've never heard anyone complain about it in person.  

Its odd that it is described here so much.   I have no idea what it is.  Ask when you go back to the doc, or if it starts happening more, call and get it checked out.
That movement is normal. Sometimes I describe it as a tremor or seizure like. It's because the baby get's caught in something, whether it be a rib or gets a foot tangled in another body part etc, it's the baby trying to shake free.
You would just think with the number of pregnant ladies I see every day, that at least one would ask about vibrations or shaking movements.  God knows we get EVERY kind of question!  But here on Medhelp, you see this question all the time.

hehe I had this issue too Bops, I even went into L&D to have her checked out when I was pregnant.  I hope that this helps, because they hooked me up to monitors and did a NST on Lilith and everything at that visit was good.  However it scared me horribly.
It's weird because I don't ever remember experiencing it with my girls but with this one I get it all the time. I am 38 weeks and I still feel those shakes. LOL I asked my doctor months back if it was seizures or something all freaked and he explained what it is, I just don't remember having it in my first 2 pregnancies.
Bops, I know exactly what you mean. I thought that God should have put a little window in women's abdomen so they could see what was going on in there, lol. Actually, that would be bad, too bc you couldn't do anything about it. Oh, the worries are never ending with pregnancies and babies.

I think my kids did this as an early hic-cup. Then they would get mad about them and jerk around. Don't worry about it, everything should be just fine.
Oh heavens - if God put a window in our bellies - NOTHING would ever get done - we'd all be too busy sitting around, bending ourselves double watching this fabulous and miraculous thing that is happening inside of us - but wouldn't that be so reassuring as well?  Just to look in there and see the little one moving and growing and being healthy - although it would put the doctors out of business - no need for ultrasounds or amnios - lol
Thank goodness I'm not crazy! heartagram, you explained it so nicely, I didn't know a baby could get caught and shake itself free in the womb, I'm so glad it is normal!

Peek-I have seen ppl talk on here about vibrations, 'down low' and such, but I had never experienced that...this shaking movement I felt was actually the baby, I felt it high up, under my ribs.

tmv-I felt my dd get the hiccups twice last week...took me a second to realize what was going on, I had forgotten all above those rhythmatic jerks, and my first dd had them a lot...it is such a neat feeling, but I have never felt a shaking in my belly before, scared me awful, but I'm glad I'm normal!

Thank you all, I feel so much better now...I'm glad I am not crazy, lol, I thought I was losing it!
I think if its anything, its a startle (Moro) reflex that happens in utero.  
Oh, an exaggerated startle could be the cause and bc the nervous system is still developing it could last a bit longer than what you see after they're newborns.
Could be!  
That's what you said. Did we post at the same time or is my dumb computer just too slow???? Oh jeesh.
It's because she's being born a Colts fan! She's rebeling! :) j/k

I had this with Max, but it was alot earlier on. Definitely a wierd feeling, though!
Great minds think alike.
Oh stop. (blushing)!lol
I am just at 29 weeks and I have been feeling my baby do the shaking thing alot. Funny you also describe it like a seizure movement. First time I had felt this I called my Mom and asked if she has ever heard of a unborn child having a seizure, of coarse she said no...so I have been trying to think of what this could be. She does it frequently actually and so it's really starting to scare me. If she is getting caught in something this often and trying free herself, maybe something isn't normal.
I am so glad to hear this is normal. I was worried it was a seizure too. I already have a child with seizures (after birth) and the challenge of two would be more than I could bear. I am 30 weeks and my baby has been extremely active since 20 weeks.
I had the same thing happen during my recent pregnancy.  It felt like the baby was having a seizure in my belly and it was scaring the heck out of me!  It most certainly was NOT hiccups and I dont believe it was a moro reflex.  

He is now 3 months old and I have figured out what it was.  

When he is waking from sleep he occasionally does the "Thumper" with his foot and sometimes his hand.  His father does the same exact thing.  So it must be hereditary.  

I'm just glad all turned out well!
Hi, i experienced the same during my latest pregnancy. Since i hadn't felt anything like it during my first pregnancy i was petrified that there was something wrong. I gave birth to a perfectly healthy little girl a month ago and thought i should post this to reassure others. x
OMG so glad I'm not the only one..I'm 30 weeks and from about 26 weeks I felt that seizure like feeling, laying in bed on my side the first time..only lasting seconds but the weirdist feeling but I have it quiet alot, I was really worried but seems quite common.thought I was going made. Ice asked A few people and they've never heard of it!
Thank u soooooo much. Im 26 weeks now and my baby just did this (shivering) the other night while i was laying on my side. I thought the same thing (a seizure). But after reading all of ur post I feel so much better that its normal. This is my first time posting. I always read these post but now i will share as well. Now that I see how helpful it is to others..... Mrs Ali.
I get the vibration in my right upper abdominal for a few seconds at a time. Makes me feel better knowing it might be normal. I was absolutely freaking out that there was something wrong with my baby.
This vibration scared me to death. I was thinking something might be wrong with my baby. I am so glad to hear that it might only be that the little guy is getting caught up. I am twenty five weeks and it happened for the first time today a few times.
I have the same feeling at 28 weeks. Until I read this thread, I was really worried something was wrong. Today it happened while I was sitting upright at my desk. It lasted longer than any other shakes I've felt before. It is kind of a scary feeling. It doesn't seem like a little unborn baby could move that fast! I am still going to mention it at my next Dr. appointment, but I feel much better knowing it's a normal thing that happens to many other women.
Made me laugh to read all of this--my little guy is doing the same thing on a daily basis (shivering or moving all of his limbs very quickly). I just figured he was throwing a tantrum. He's been quite the personality from the first movements (future MMA fighter, maybe). He seems to do these movements more if A) he has had the hiccups for more than a few seconds, B) his dad has been talking to him and suddenly stops, or C) I am trying to sleep. :) Can't wait to meet him and see what he's been up to!
I'm so relieved to have read this. I'm 28 weeks and have experienced this shaking/shivering baby sensation for the last couple of days for short periods. Just like you say it feels like a seizure but I didn't think others would understand my description of it!
Oh my god ladies... Thats why i am so glad we have  the internet and places like Medhelp.  I just felt this shiver/shudder feeling and started to put my shoes on and out the door to the hospital.. I mean this is my third pregnancy and i have never felt anything like this before.. instead i came here and thank god everything is ok... I can breathe again..  Once again thank you girls.....
Hi! I'm first-time Mom and I just felt the "rapid" movement this morning, while I was on my side. I just woke up so, yes, it kind of freaked me out. I immediately Googl-ed it. And I came across this thread. I'm just so glad to know that it's just the baby trying to shake off something.
Thank you, really. I, too, was about to head out to hospital.
what did your doctor say it was then???
I have had 5 normal children. My last two are teenagers now. I experienced this vibrating in my womb during my 4th child. I was very worried at the time. At times it would last up to 30 seconds and happen 2 or 3 times a day. I did not pass the first diabetes test but did pass the second one so they never put me on any medication for diabetes. I always wondered if that was the cause that I could have been on the edge with diabetes. He was born full term and although he was my biggest baby weighing in at 9 pounds and looked a little puffy he checked out completely fine. He is going to be 18 in June this year and everything ended up fine and I worried about nothing....Oh and his and my blood sugar levels are very normal to this day. Hope this helps anyone experiencing vibrations in the womb.
Thank You sooooo much! everything you described was my little girl to a T!! She has been doing it a couple times a day even when im sitting upright and it would make me so nervous. My first ultrasound showed everything to be fine but i will tell my doctor about it at my appointment tomorrow.

Thanks Again!