Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Boyfriend did cocaine once, will that affect my pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

Im trying to get pregnant after I lost a pregnancy at 12 weeks earlier this year, but Im ready to try again with my long term boyfriend, because we've been ready to start a family together for over a year now. But this past weekend, he went to a friend's bachelor party, and apparently ended up getting drunk and also doing a little cocaine. He not normally a drug user at all, although he does drink fairly regularly, he's not an alcoholic, just a few drinks every day, a little more on weekends. Pretty normal for both his family and mine.

Question is: could his one time use of cocaine at a bachelor party affect his sperm in a way that would harm our chances of getting pregnant?   To be clear: I've never used cocaine, and dont use drugs like that, only things I have a prescription for, and of course, virtually no medications at all when trying to concieve (conceive). The only thing bad I do is smoke cigarettes, which Ive tried to cut back on, because Ive been diganosed with severe adult asthma and borderline emphesyma. Its not as bad as it was when I first got diagnosed, when I was having constant pnemonia (pneumonia) or other infections, and Ive been clear of infections all this winter. I talked to my Dr about it, and he said as long as I monitor my blood pressure very carefully and try to quit smoking, that I should be otherwise healthy enough to try to get pregnant.

Any thoughts about my boyfriends cocaine use this one time and any possible impact on pregnancy, if were not planning on trying again until my cycle next month? He was very apologetic and swore he didnt mean to, but was just under pressure from the guys at the bachelor party, which I really sympathize with and understand, and I believe him that he wont use it again. Thanks
I don't know about cocaine, but drinking even 1 alcoholic beverage a day might actually lower his sperm count.  My obgyn told both my husband and I not to drink at all while we were trying because it could affect fertility.  Odd thing is after two years of trying we both got plastered at out neighbor's while trying to fix her well pump and that ended up being the lucky week we conceived.  My husband had gotten his sperm count tested though beforehand and he had plenty of mobile, viable sperm anyway though so... I guess I could see it being an issue if your husband has low sperm count to begin with.  What were his initial results? I'd base your concern on his alcohol/drug use on that.

I do wonder though, if he's still out trying things like cocaine, is he really ready to start a family? I don't mean that to be insulting, I just worked in the service industry in college and saw a lot of people "try" drugs, get addicted (seriously my manager would do lines of coke in the office... It was that bad), then knock someone up and bail bc they ended up choosing the party life over family.

Just make sure that you are both in a stable position both emotionally and financially to try and have kids.  I wish you the best of luck!
I had a similar situation happen to me and went to two different drs just to be sure and both said it will have zero impact on the baby. ;)
One time cocaine use I seriously doubt can impact the baby in any way. My first's father occasionally did cocaine and I later found out he's a meth smoker too (I really know how to pick 'em ugh). My daughter was completely healthy my entire pregnancy even with me vomiting every time I ate/drank in the second trimester. She was born perfect weighing in at 8 lbs 4 oz. Not to worry, mama to be ^.^
It won't affect anything I'm sure of it. My ex was taking every drug under the sun when I got pregnant. And I was getting wasted on alcohol every single day till I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks. I was also 19 and he was 18. We were big time into partying! Then I quit everything. Even cigarettes. My baby girl was perfectly healthy weighing 8 lbs and born at 39 weeks 6 days. So you definitely have nothing to worry about!
My boyfriend now fiance did drugs on weekends and weed daily for about 2 years before we met, I was never a big drug user so he quit the day we got together, I did speed about 6 times and weed a few more times before we met. He smokes daily and im a social smoker both really big on drinking, I quit smoking and drinking while tryna concieve (conceive) and he still smoked and drank but never drugs and we have a healthy 1 year old girl and pregnant with our second little lady who is really healthy. I just suggest you fully quiting smoking before even trying.
Im not judging but are u sure ur ready to start a family with some one who would even try cocaine its one thing to drink smoke cigerattes or smoke weed but i think that's a whole different thing when ur doing other drugs like cocaine meth pills  just saying