Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Brown Spotting at 5 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

Brown Spotting at 5 weeks

I am current five weeks pregnant tomorrow.  This afternoon while urinating, I saw brown spotting when I wiped.  I immediately rushed home and inserted a tampon to see if any clots came out.  It was just more brown discharge and everything seems to have disappeared now.  Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with this.  Could it have been left over implantation bleeding or just old blood?  I know they say as long as it isn't red and cramping that it's fine, but I'm scared!!! I miscarried in september, so I'm freaking out.!!!! Please help!!!!
Hi, It is very, very, very common at your stage of pregnancy. Nothing to worry about...
I did the same thing and worried as well. It is normal according to my dr. Like you said though, as long as it is not bright red and no cramps I wouldn't worry. But don't stick anything up there!!! LOL If you are worried, stick your finger up there, at least then you can feel the point at which you should stop! I don't KNOW if a tampon can hurt-but I just wouldn't to be safe!
your NOT suppposed to insert tampons while your pregnant or douche. and yes i did that at 7 weeks and rushed in and everything was fine. it sounds like implantation bleeding and nothing more. i wouldn't worry unless ... like you said you get cramping and more bleeding. God bless hope
hi, just had thie last week,i think it was from pap.dont worry, i had a miscarriage 2 months ago , so i freaked out but calm down and think positive mine went away but it was exactly like that at almost 5 weeks!good luck , youll be in my prayers!
I too had this happen at 5 weeks. It was when I wiped and a dark brown. I had low progesterone and was sure it was another miscarriage and called the dr bawling. Next day went it and he was fine. I am now 29 weeks pregnant so it does not necessarily mean something bad. Hang in there!! Good Luck!! Ginger
I know the panic you feel, I have had three episodes of this type of brown spotting this pregnancy and each time I have gone into the doctor and everything has been ok with the baby, ie strong heartbeat, punching and kicking.  I too have had multiple miscarriages and each one only had brown spotting no red blood, so I PANIC each time this happens now.  I think once you have had a miscarriage your bound to worry over everything and spotting of any color is a nightmare.  But like I said so far, this time the spotting has stopped each time and the baby has been fine after.  My doctor has echoed the sentiments posted above and said to call if it ever turns red or you have cramping, if that isn't happening try not to worry.  It is comforting to know that others have gone through what you are and things have been alright with their babies, I rely on that a lot here, helps keep me somewhat sane.  Good luck and all the best.
I don't think there is really much to worry about until the spotting turns into heavy bleeding and involves clots. But i hope everything goes well anyhow.
I had this last night, it was red but turned brown.  reading from you all has being such a great help am, more calm.  thanks to you all.
Hi all you expectant moms.
I have been experiencing the brown spotting, three times in the last week, off and on and my period is 8 days late,very light spotting only when wiping, so from all that I have read on this page, I am assuming that I am also  around 5 weeks pregnant or what could this be? First time.

God bless
Destiny1111
Im 6 weeks pregnant and am spotting is this normal at this stage.
As long as what you are experiencing is spotting with no cramping then you should be fine.  Usually at 6-7 weeks the embryo attaches to your lining and while it burrows into to its home this may cause a little dark brown discharge.

If it persists for a few days or if it changes in color or if it is accompanied by cramping you should call you doctor or rush to the ER.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Norma
I'm 5 weeks and have yet to see my doctor...appointment is next week. I just had very light brown spotting coupled with light cramps.  It was a crazy day at work and I didn't eat too much nor too well.  Should I be concerned about the cramps?
I'm 5 weeks and have yet to see my doctor...appointment is next week. I just had very light brown spotting coupled with light cramps.  It was a crazy day at work and I didn't eat too much nor too well.
My spotting is coupled with mild cramps...anyone else's?  I'm 5 weeks.
My brown spotting was accompanied by mild cramps...anyone else's?
Hi there, just a quick note, someone commented that at 5-6 weeks is when the embryo attaches itself to the uterus, this is not so, it happen around 8 days after conception.  I am five weeks pregnant, I have had a lot of miscarriages, I am so scared, two days ago, my breasts started to become smaller and not hurt as much, I thought something is wrong, today I had light brown spotting, a little cramping and nothing after that, what the heck is going on?  I keep thinking the baby is dead, I dont think I can do this anymore.  I have one seven year old son.  Anyone, can you help here.
I am 3 weeks pregnant, have been having light cramps and light and medium brown spotting for over a week straight now, started having severe back pains and can't lie on my back, should I be concerned?
Newfie
How long should brown spotting last?
Newfie-if you are 3 weeks pregnant then you should just now be implanting. have you missed an af yet? if you are 3 weeks past when af was due then you are 7 weeks roughly. you should call the doctor. some mild spotting is normal, but pain that is making you unable to lie on your back is not normal. you need to be seen.

to lilou- your symptoms, including breast changes can come and go like the weather. i would not worry too much. if your spotting turns red or you are in pain you need medical attention. aside from that i would call the doctor about your spotting since you have multiple miscarriages and have spotted. my doctor watched me very closely from the time i was 5 weeks on. also, you can have another variation of implatation bleeding later on. the first occurs within a weekish of the sex act. but then again around 6-7 weeks as the egg imbeds deeper it can create some broken blood vessels and result in further spotting.
I also had this during my pregnancy many people say its old blood. ANd like you said as long as you are not bleeding you're ok. I started to bleed and now I am misscaring
Thanks a bunch
Hello All, your forum has soothed a lot of my fears.
This is my second pregnancy. Last one was 5 years ago was healthy and had a beautiful girl.
This pregnancy feel a little different. Am 6-7 weeks pregnant, and have been feeling light cramps since around my due period date, and today boy did i get the biggest surprise. I sat down and a blob of blood came out and have had very light brown spotting. It was brownish in colour and rang the midwife and she says its quite normal. If it turns bright red and heavy then come to ER.
I am a little shaken and a little worried as did not experience this in my last pregnancy.
Anybody going through this? Also anyone had a first pregnancy with no cramps, blood and now having another one with these symptoms?
Reema
Hello everyone,
I'm about five weeks pregnant and also expriencing the light brown discharge and mild cramps.  I've read all kinds of blogs where women have said that it's normal and some say that shortly afterwards they've had a miscarriage.  This is my second pregnancy and my 1st is 13.  I don't remember any of these symptons from my previous pregnancy.  I'm slightly worried.
Best wishes to everyone.
My Wife is pregnant at about week 5. She has had brown spotting on and off the past week. This monring she woke up and had somewhat of a heavy brown discharge to her suprize. She is extemely worried, her doctors appointment is later this week. After everything I read, it sounds like it could go either way. I pray everything is fine.....Has anyone else experience a somewhat heavy brown discharge around week 5 with no negative results.

Best wishes to you all,

Warm regards
Twice i had the brown discharge and mild cramping too around that time. I have a healthy 3 month old. like everyone else said watch for bright red. My first pregnancy, nothing like this happened. it all happened with my second one. you all should be ok.
I believe I am about 5 weeks pregnant (since my last period began on 7/6). The past two evenings I have experienced brown (think) spotting, but not enough to believe this could be a problem. I haven't yet made a doctors appt. as I have not confirmed I am pregnant yet. Could this be my normal period just a week late? Or is it a miscarriage? Any answers would be appreciated- I'm taking a pregnancy test in the morning! :) Thank you!
I'm having some dark brown spotting as well. I'm 6w2d along. As soon as I saw the spotting, I started looking through the online information that's available and was really worried about bleeding at all, even though they say brown means it's "Old Blood".

They say that about 50% of women who bleed during pregnancy go on to carry the pregnancy full term, and the other 50% do not. So, I insisted that I see my doctor today, and she said that it's perfectly normal to have this sort of bleeding at 6 weeks. She said it's only a very small percentage of people with brown discharge go on to m/c and to only be worried if it changes to red and you start to cramp.

I guess what happens most of the time is there is an old lining (or some scarring she called it?) underneath the new lining that's been building for the baby, and so the new lining (or scarring) and the growing baby are pushing out the older lining/scarring from underneath, and since the old stuff is... well... old. That means it'll be brownish colored.

It still scares me. So she had me go get a blood test to check my hormone levels to see if they are at a normal level.

I hope everything goes alright. :/

I too have had brown spotting.  I am 6 weeks pregnant and hoping for the best.  This is my first pregnancy and my Dr. says that light brown spotting is normal.  Again if you are bleeding heavy and cramping this isn't normal.  It is scary but we have to be positive and pray for the best.  We can't control what happens with our bodies, we can only try to take care of ourselves the best of our ability and pray about the rest.  I wish everyone the best and you will be in my prayers.
I am also five weeks along and i was just wondering if what i have been feeling is okay,  I have been feeling like you do just before you get your period  tender ,presher and off and on light cramping is this olay?  I also had light brown - pink spotting when wipping last night but only for a short time like with in two hours
I am 5 weeks 2 days pregnant today  .  I also am having brown spotting. I made a dr appt and had an ultrasound today.  The nurse and doctor said that everything is in the right place and looks ok.  They said that they do not know 100% why the spotting is happening but to call if there is any changes.  They scheduled me for another ultrasound in 2 weeks. The nurse said that we will be able to see more and hear a heart beat. Its going to be a long two weeks. Best of luck to everyone my prayers are with all of you.  
I am 34 yrs old and this is my second pregnancy. The 1st I lost to fetal demise (no heartbeat) and didnt actually miscarry, but had to have a d/c. I am 5wks2days along and am experiencing a darkish brown discharge (spotting) Ofcourse, I am in a panic and have began to expect the worst. I do have a drs appt for a couple days from now..but in the meantime..cant help but worry.

Someone, send me a subliminal back rub and remember me in your prayers...
I am 7 weeks and noticed light brown discharge when I went to the bathroom. I panicked and rushed to the internet. After reading your responses that this is normal and many of you had the same it made me feel a little better. I am scheduled for my first doctor appointment in 10 days.
I am not wanting to sace just sharing my experience my second misscariage that is how it started with brown discharge then ended in a misscariage but you might be lucky and not end like me
please help im so confused im usually pretty regular evry 28 days for 5 days wiv heavyish flo... i was due on 2/11 but started spotting pink on 26/10 then nothing til 29/10 which was like a red blob after intercourse 30/10brown discharge 2/11 started light bleeding not as much as a pd but red next day it stopped 5/11 pink discharge wen i wipe an tday gettin pinky/rusty coloured discharge is all this normal
i am 5weeks 6days pregnant, i started spottin just brownish wen wipeing. had ultrasound 2day they said all is good apart from the heomarraging there which u can see on the ultrasound. the bleedin has gone red now with slight clots.  how long until i stop bleeedin?? im worried
HI everyone
I am 6 weeks pregnant.  I also have spotting which has been occuring now for a week and a half.  Sometimes it is light pink, other times it is brown or red.  It is only when I wipe but it is the most awful feeling when I see this.  I went to be doctor and he sent be for and emergeny ultra sound as well as bllod work.  THe ultrasound showed the gestational sac as well as the fetus and I was able to see a heart beat.  UNfortunately, the spotting has not stopped and I am still worried that somethign is wrong.  I understand how you all feel.  If anyone else was in the same situation, please let me know.

i am 5 weeks i had a misscariage last febuary i wiped today and on the toilet paper was a light brown discharge when i had a misscariage it was  bright red blood i just put it into GOD's hands
                                       kee
i was bleeding  heavy fresh red blood ,and spottin and i was freakin out being 7weeks pregnant, i am only spotting now, but this is day 6 and i rekon i got 2 more days of it and i was heomarraging, blood gone brown now so thats good news, all we can do is wait. I hope ull b ok to
Hey all! I am 5w5d along.  I have been experiencing some mild cramping since my period was due and started spotting brown today.  I'm waiting for the dr. to call me back, but I'm freaking out big time (mainly because I'm still cramping, even though they're mild). This is my first pregnancy and my husband and I really want this baby!! Has anyone experienced something similar?
I am 5 weeks 4 days pregnant and am feeling cramping and brown spotting.....I hope all is good with me.  I have a 5 yr old little boy and have been trying to get pregnant since him.  I have been to the cross cancer for the past 4 yrs and have had surgery for abnormalities. I have had two miscarriages since........ Hope i am good and i hope and bless all of you with a save pregnanys and who are going through the same things i am.  I have my first ultrasound today.  Keeping my fingers crossed............Please message me so we can stay in contact
I'm so glad to read everyone's posts-they make me feel so much better!  I saw VERY light brown spotting when wiping tonight (I'm about 6 weeks with my THIRD!!) and have had mild cramps.  I've heard mild cramping is common at this stage b/c of stretching in the uterus...brown spotting was disconcerting, though.  

Whoever posted that it's in God's hands is right: if it's meant to be, it will!

Good luck with your pregnancies, everyone.  God bless you all.
hi i am 5 weeks pregnant and i have belly ache like i am going to come on but aint near my dates to day i went to the toilet and wiped there was a dark brown stuff on the paper like i was going to come on i have drunk loads and there as been no more for ages any idea going to see mid wife wednesday do you think i should book to see a doctor tomorrow thanks guys xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
HI! I am new to all this: I am 24 and I have a 7 year old. I finally talked my husband into having another baby back in late November. I have not been on BC since like June. Dec. 14th I went to the doc b/c I had had a normal period and for 7 days after I had brown spotting. The doc said my uterus was bleeding. He said I couldn't have a baby right now and put me on BC. But I was late for my next period and had 2 positive tests on Jan. 3rd. The 4th however I had severe stabbing pains and small blood clots. I bled for about 3 days after that. I had 2 neg. tests then started BC on the 6th. Jan 28th, the day before i took my last pill for the month, I started having bad cramps and started with brown dishcarge for about 5 days--not even enough for a panty liner. I have been having headaches too. I am waiting for the resukts from my pelvic ultrasound! I am freaking out MAJORLY!!! anyone have this???
i am 5 days late for my period no cramps. no pain, but i have seen pink spotting and brown discharge twice.
hi Destiny1111,

so what was the result? i am also experiencing the same now....
hi

please let me know if ur test was positive.. i am waiting to take one......
difficult to spend even a minute in office... please advice ....am i not pregnant???
plssssssssssssssssssss reply
plssssssssssssssssssss reply
hi i am five weeks pregnant and consuming progestron in vagina.
to my surprise, when i insert it the very very light brown discharge comes on the fingure tip. no discharge in the urine.
i am worried., this is my first pregancy.last time i had a miscariage at 14 weeks
hey all.

ok my girlfriend and i believe she might be pregnant. she is on the pill. and she was likely to have her period on valentines day so she skipped her sugar pills and started the next pack (we read on some bc websites that that was an advantage of the pill and completely safe)

so she started the next pack early and we went on our planned valentines day vacation and we had sex. the only reason i mention the fact that she skipped her period this month is becase it has been a month and a half since her last period so we're not quite sure if she didnt have her period or not. so we dont know if she was late or anything. she is experiencing almost all symptoms of pregnancy. she had cramps early. headaches, nausea, she's been extremely moody, she just starts crying out of nowhere and then she'll be fine.

also.. she misses a bc pill every once in a while and every time that happens, she spots for a couple days. and recently she missed a pill and she did not spot as usual. the other day she experienced slight brown spotting. she took a pregnancy test last night that showed positive and then she took another one this morning that said negative. she stopped taking her bc 3 days ago and today she started bleeding as if she was having her period.

we really dont know what to think. any help would be appreciated. thanks!
Hi...Im 6 weeks and i have been haveing some spotting..my Beta has gone up but my doc said that she is a little worried about the spotting but  reading what you all are going thruogh has me thinking ..Im really scared it has been going on for a week and a half the spotting its a brown colour and sometimes pink. I have no Idea what to think..
hi! this might not make you feel any better about what your going through. i started spotting at 6 weeks. i went to the doctors the day after i started bleeding, everything was fine. then baby was the right size and the heartbeat was normal. it didnt stop for about a week and a half. i went to the doctors because i was so worried. well there, they told me that the baby had no heartbeat. if you call your doctor and tell them you are bleeding and you want to know if everything is okay they will probably give you an appiontment for that week. hope everything is okay!
Hi! I'm going through the same thing. I'm 5 wks pregnant and the past 3 days Iv'e had either brown or light pink when I wipe with toliet paper. My boyfriend and I really want this baby and I'm worried too. I'm going to make an appt pretty soon. I read that 50% of the woman who spot will have a miscarriage. I have been worrying ever since it started. I just started feeling nauseas so I take that as a good sign. But I'm so worried. =( Best of luck to all of you!
I have this too , im so scared

I saw babys heatbeat it was 116bpm

And my levels hgc is 3320 7weeks

I started with just when wiping, old blood, then blood turned to pink when wiped,

I put pad on to keep an eye on bleed and just old brown blood

I have to have u/s on 4th august

Ive had bleed now for 5days

and it to started after sex.....

I am so scard, as the last couple of days my bb are not sore anymore, as b4 i couldnt touch, im scared there stopped hurting cause im no longer pregnant,

My progesterone is 27.2

If any one can help me with ANY answers please email me

Just to ease my mined.

graham.***@****
2 pregnancy tests later: I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant.I made an appointment with the drs today because this morning I had light brown discharge when I wiped( no cramps or fatigue).I had an ultra sound done and the dr couldn't find ANYTHING thru the ultrasound.
Has anyone had this happened to them??? and do you have some answers?

I am scared because I had a D&C associated w/(m/c) a year ago, And I want everything to be okay this time.

After returning home I took yet another pregnancy test to reassure myself, (positive again).

I go back to the doctors in  a few weeks for another ulta sound ( my choice) Of course the Dr wanted to have blood work done today and then come in again for another ultra sound.My husband and may think that it is too soon to see anything thru the ulta sound???
Hey All,

I'm about 5.5 weeks 1st bubs. The day we got the positive test i started cramping badly. Went to the docters who said to watch that it doesn't turn red. The next week had pink went wiped after bathroom. Went to ER who measured hcg (308) Early Last week went for a f/u ultrasound and another hcg. Ultrasound showed lining as normal and no ectopic levels are 3000. Last night and today had brown discharge when wipe anfter bathroom and once on underwear but no cramping (or very mild)
My docter is getting me to do another ultrasound and hcg to make sure levels are still climbing.

Really want this bub!! Stressing out badly!!
I am 5w pregnant w/ 6th child. All pregnancies went textbook for the first two trimesters. So when I started spotting last night (light brown) I was a little worried. Went online and saw that it can be very normal. Have had mild cramping and this morning the brown discharge was darker and there was more of it. My hcg at 4w was 35. I am supposed to go get another hcg tuesday. The discharge the last time had a barely visible tinge of pink in it.

Any advice is helpful to this veteran mom.
My surrogate mom is 5 weeks and started with a brown discharge. We had two embryos implanted on december 20th.  3 positive blood tests with hcg 254, 974, 3600.  She did not have this in her 1st pregnancy with her child.  Doctor said only call if it gets heavy or pain involved.  Other surrogate mom I know who carried 11 times said this happened to her the same way at least 1/2 of those.  Good luck and try to relax all!!  It's so hard.
its very comforting to know that im not the only one going threw the same situation. I am 5 weeks pregnany and have been experiencing light brown and sometimes pink spotting i went to the ob/gyn and had U/S and everything looked ok but i cant stop thinking about it i am driving myself crazy
I too am 5 weeks pregnant, and have started brown spotting and mild cramping today.  Am so nervous.  Called hospital, and they said no heavy lifting and rest.  There seem to be so many questions and no answers.  Wait and see, I guess.
I am 5-6 weeks pregnant, and a couple of days ago I started to experience a dull pain in my left ovary, that lasted too days. Last night I peed, and when I wiped there was a scant amount of pink tinged urine/discharge. This morning when I went to the bathroom, there was a small amount of pale discharge in my underwear. I am not experiencing any cramping, but I am so worried that something bad is happening. Any thoughts?
I am 5-6 weeks pregnant, and a couple of days ago I started to experience a dull pain in my left ovary, that lasted TWO days:) Last night I peed, and when I wiped there was a scant amount of pink tinged urine/discharge. This morning when I went to the bathroom, there was a small amount of pale BROWN discharge in my underwear. I am not experiencing any cramping, but I am so worried that something bad is happening. Any thoughts?

I'm so glad to have blogs! It's nice to know what other ppl's stories are! I am 5 1/2 wks with 2nd baby, 1st is handsome, healthy boy 10mos! I too started spotting 2days ago. It was only when wiping both times and the 1st day i checked it like 10x and saw brown each time. Then the next night, after all was fine, i wiped before bed and saw some brownish-pink! My doc had me do hcg levels and mine ws 2417. I am still waiting for my 2nd levels to be done in 2 days, boy does the time drag! Hopefully all is well! I know we all get busy, but i will return to let you all know what the outcome is! Good luck to all of you, you are in my prayers!
Im curringly 5 weeks pregnant today.and had spotting this morning and was wondering that was normal.I have had three children,and this never happend to me before.
I would just like to thank everyone cause I myself am 5 1/2 weeks preggo and I have had some brown spotting myself.  I am a high risk pregnancy so of course I thought the worst.  Everyones comments made me feel much better....I think I am gonna go sit and relax now instead of sitting on this computer researching for another hour.  

Good luck to all of you!
I had a "blighted miscarriage" in late Jan. 2009 (egg was fertilized, but no embryo was formed).  I first noticed a pink color on my liner ~ 6 wks of pregnancy, which later became light brown spotting.  I got a blood test to confirm pregnancy and dr. told me to rest and stop exercising.  hcg was normal.  Around 8.5 wks, i woke up at 4:30 am because of cramps that radiated to the right ovary region (lasted momentarily) so was told by everyone i called to go to the ER (my 1st appt to obgyn was the week after).  Was at ER for 9 hrs. my husband and i saw nothing on the screen with intravaginal us (later was told about the miscarriage. hcg was again normal cuz my body still thinks i'm pregnant cuz egg was fertilized).  2 hrs after leaving ER, I felt severe cramps for a total of 3 hrs (the time betw cramps shortened-).  After each cramp, I bled severely filling up a pad. i attributed the cramps to contractions.  i changed pads ~ 3-4x in 3 hrs.  it stopped suddenly.  when i peed the next day, something came out (a purple blob-most likely placenta).
     i'm 5 wks pregnant now & been light brown spotting since 4 wks.  i won't see obgyn until 10 days, so hopefully i'm okay this time.
Hi, I'm 5 weeks and 6 days pregnant.  For the past few days I have had pink, to red to brown light spotting as well but I have also had strong period pain type cramping and I mean, STRONG.  I am resting as much as I can and trying not to stress out.  Dr checked me out.  HCG level is 2412 and as far as the Dr can tell, everything is "normal".  If it accompanies heaving red bleeding or clots and cramping, then I think we need to be concerned.....   I am going back in a few days to test HCG level again to ensure it is rising.   As far as I can tell, a LOT of preggo Mums get spotting and cramping in early pregnancy.  Best wishes for us all :-)
Hi. Found out was preg this Tues. Been ttc for 2 years. My hcg levels are 405. Last period 24 oct 09. Is this normal. No symptons at all. Have a bit of diarea (diarrhea). Left ovary mild pain. Ultrasound only showed thickened womb. Nothing else. Comments anyone?
I am about 5 weeks and have experienced the light spotting too with light cramping.  I continue to feel all the typical preg symptoms.  Visited the dr today and had an US, no sign of a baby in the uterus.  Will have a retest of the hCG levels on Monday.  If all checks out OK, another ultrasound in one week.
I am 5 weeks pregnant and this is my 2nd pregnancy. I miss-carried last October '09. I have spot brownish bleeding that just started last night and I just realized that I have no morning sickness at all? Does anyone have any idea what is going on with me? I don't have insurance so I really can't afford to go to the ER but I do have a Dr.'s appointment tomorrow.

Thanks.
How long after implantation bleeding will it show up on a test?
I had bleeding for 3 days the color was like a red pink and then went to brown. Is this normal?
I took a pregnancy test saturday and it showed negative. Should i retest and when ?
Hey everybody! My name is kita this is my first time on here i really need sumone to talk to.... I'll start by sayn i havent had a period since Nov. 2 i thought maybe it was because of stress so i didnt think nothin of it . then i start gaining weight everywhere. i took alot of hpt they were negative. Nxt i was getn bad headaches and stomach and chest pains so i went to the hospital. They did a bloodtest and ultrasound but they told my me the ultresound was done wrong and the had 2 do it "digital" so they told me i was pregnant but i think their wrong. Yesterday i was spotting light pink then later that night it was bright red and semi heavy and my stomach really hurts. Does anyone knw what wrng???????????? Plz Comment...
I've read each and every post on this page and I felt relief as I am not alone. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences.

Accdg to the doctor, I might be 5w preg already (my PT is positive but too early to be sent to ultrasound). I am also experiencing brown discharge, quite minimal and the OB said that this could be because of the implantation (just like the others has shared). I am still worried as I read that this could also lead to threathened abortion or miscarriage, until I read this page. Though there might be a possibility, at the end of this day, I felt quite at ease and I hope to read more in the coming days :) Let us all stay positive until our OB confirmed our situation... Good luck to all of us...
I think my wife is 3 weeks pregnant. She missed her period for 3 days and she's spotting now. Could it be she's pregnant?
I am about 5W5D pregnant with my first baby.  This past Tuesday I had an ultrasound and noticed after words that I had some spotting right after.  Shortly thereafter it stopped so I figured the spotting was caused due to the ultrasound.  But today, 3 days later, I woke up to find some light brown blood on my toilet paper.  I am freaking out, because I still have not heard a heartbeat, since on Tuesday they determined I was about 5W2D pregnant and you don't see a heartbeat on an ultrasound until around week 6.  I need some reassurance as I have never been pregnant and my husband and I have been trying for years and finally got pregnany using IUI.
Your comments and prayers are greatly appreciated!
I have missed my period for 2 months. I haven't had one since December. It is now the begining of March. Last week I started to have brownish spotting and a little cramping. It is so light I only need 1 pad a day. All pregnancy tests are coming back negative. My doctor insists that if I was pregnant I would have a positive test by now. I tried to tell her that with my first child, I didn't have a positive pregnancy test until I was about 9 weeks. I tested every week for 9 weeks until that came positive. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Could I be pregnant with brownish spotting, 2 months late, and no positive pregnancy test?
I am 5 wks. I've had some light pink or peach discharge for last 3 days. Today i found brown on my underwear. I had a miscarrige 5 months ago. We really want this baby. I called my doctor in a panic. I was crying and all. She told me as long as it's not red and i'm not cramping I just need to relax. She will C me in am for blood work and ultrasound. I really hope this is normal. My sister has 3 children and states she had cramps for entire pregnancies. I will keep u posted with what happens but the most important part she said was to try to relax because it CAN affect your pregnancy.
I am five weeks pregnant I believe I have missed my period and am anxiously waiting to go to the doctor this coming Monday (two days away) and this morning I woke up to pee as usually no cramping and when i wiped there was a light pink quarter size spot with brown discharge around it. I am still worried but I have went to the bathroom twice afterwards and nothing was on the paper. You don't think I had a miscarriage?? Or could be having one?? First timer.
I'm 5 weeks pregnant.  I had some dark red/brown spotting last night.  It didn't even stain my underwear, but was visible on the toilet paper that I used as a wipe.  I've also experienced mild cramping.  Almost like a tickle down there in the womb.  The comments on this post have been encouraging, but I am still worried.  Will update with any news.  Thanks.
I know that I read these comments like crazy as I was waiting for news, so I thought I'd post mine in case it helps someone else.

I started spotting (light pink at first, then brown for days, then pink one more time, then brown again for days) at 5 weeks. I spotted very lightly and pretty much everyday for 2 weeks. This is my first pregnancy, so I was VERY scared, and called my doctor. She told me not to worry unless it turned pink again, which it did, so I called back. She ordered an HCG test to monitor my counts over 48 hours. They doubled like they should.

She then ordered an early ultrasound, but she had me wait (an excruciatingly stressful) week because she didn't want to call me in too early to hear a heartbeat and scare me more. I went in for the ultrasound two days ago, and I saw and heard the heartbeat! I measured right on target at 6w6d. Since then, the spotting has almost stopped, just a little bit every once in a while.

I know I'm not 100% in the clear, but I feel so much better. Good luck everyone, and I hope you hear good news soon.
Hi all,
I am 5w3d pregnant and today i noticed some brownish spotting.  I feel fine and only other symptoms i have had is headaches, really sore boobs and my skin is getting bad and of course positive preg tests.  Last year I had a miscarriage at 6wks and am very very worried this is going to end in the same way.  Last time I had cramping and bleeding happened within 3hours.  

Can anyone put my mind at ease, is this normal???   I am hoping and praying that everything is normal and my baby is fine!!!  

For all the other expectant mums out there in this same situation my heart goes out to you, this is certainly a stressfull time!!
Cheers
Im 16 years old and i was 6 weeks yesturday,i experienced a small amount of brown blood on my underware and wen i wiped,that day wenever i wiped de stringy blood looked less brown bu looked lyk there was small clots.i have had crampin since very early in my pregnancy.could this be the miscarriage leavin my body after 5 weeks? i need to know !!!
I'm 35 years old 6 weeks pregnant and have the same thing going on. In the E.R. Now... I feel no cramping still have all the pregnancy symptoms and still read positive on the p.t.
With my forst pregnancy i started heavy bleeding at 8 weeks and bled alot for 17 days went to the hosp and to my horror i was positive i was misscarring but saw the heart beat and went on the have a beatuiful little boy who is now 2.5 years old
I can relate to everyone's posts. I also started light brown spotting/mucous like discharge 1 week ago at 5 weeks pregnant. All this dark brown bitty stuff came out for about 24 hours and I was admitted to maternity ward because strong pain on the right hand side accompanied. The maternity nurse spoke about how oftentimes women think they're m/cing or in labour when they have a bowel problem. Bowels also cause severe stabbing pain. Long story short, my HCG was normal 2372 but more conclusively was the vaginal ultrasound which showed us the heartbeat! We were also shocked as the doctor had been talking about me miscarrying, etc, etc. I've been on stool softeners from my GP and it seems to have sorted out the strong pain I experienced for several days.

The light brown discharge is back again this weekend, though. I also feel bloated. Honestly I can't really worry because if I do m/c then I do. I see my GP again next week. I feel very positive about it all, though, and feel in my gut (so to speak!) that I'm out of the woods and will have a normal delivery.

All the best :)
Hi All, according to my calcultion I am 9 wks and 4 days pregnant, and I have been experiencing brown discharge for the past 2 to 3 wks.  On saturday I noticed a slightly fresh blood on my pant, which came trhrough my pant into the stocking, then it stopped by the time I got into the urgent care.  I was offered a scan on monday which shows that I am actully 5wks and 3days pregnant and they coult not see anything apart from the 5wks gestation sac.  The nurse told me it could be a miscarriage or not and they offered me a blood test to check the level of my hormones then I am due to another blood test tommorow that is when they will conclude whether it is miscarriage or not, has anyone had such experience?
Hi all,
I am glad to find this section in the internet....my story is this:
I had 2 embryo transfered and after 10 years and 2 misscariages I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant now.. which is great. but yesterday I had tiny bit of brown discharge and today little more where with severe pain .. I am so stressed ..
Of course like everyone else, I am so desperate to have at least 1 baby.. I called my nurse they increased my progesterone intake to two a day and I can not wait to have a scan  on Monday 6/9/2010..

Any comments welcome because I am soo nervous..thanks  
please help :(

i am 5 weeks 2 days. everything was going well until yesterday. i started spotting light pink blood, then last night i started spotting a little heavier redish blood, then today i had redish blood and now i have brownish/red blood. i went to the doctors today and had a scan. doctor said i could either be having a m/c or i could be a bleeder through my pregnancy. they also said there is a blood sack around the bubs sack. what does this mean? has anyone experienced this before? my partner and i really want this baby.
HI, I have a  3 years old and I am 4 weeks pregnant and I had my IUD removed a little over a month ago. For the past 2 days I have been experiencing brown discharge when I wipe. Went to the emergency room today my HCG level was 147 and nothing was seen on the US. I am supposed to go back in two days and retest my HCG level. I will post the update. Has anyone experience the same thing?
I am too 5 weeks tomorrow and I'm having the same brown discharge. I been having it for a almost a week. But it hasn't been any bleeding or cramping so I'm happy about that. I go to the doctor on wednesday so hoepfully everything ok.
i am 5 wks today and just found brownish spoting and have mild cramps find out later what my HCG levels are,  im so stressed as i had a misscarage in aug,  glad to see it some what normal reading everone elses coments are making me less stress,  any advice
hi when i was pregnant with my second child, i bled bright red blood from 5 weeks until i was about 15 weeks. It would stop every couple of days and come back. I was always going to the emergency as i thought my baby must have died but doctors did a scan and she was fine :) my point is, not all bleeding is bad. I now have a beautiful baby girl who will be turning 1 in january.
Don't worry unnecessarily -- call your doctor and get more information!

I had some spotting at 5 weeks 2 days in the late afternoon (after the labs were closed) and called my OB right away. The protocol was to have my HCG tested the next morning (Saturday), and then two days after that (Monday). Then I went in on 6 weeks 1 day (Thursday) for a vaginal ultrasound.

The nurse called me on Monday to tell me that the results from the Saturday labs were that my HCG was nice and high, ~15,000. She called me again on Tuesday to let me know that they increased to ~23,000. Not double, but good trend. At my ultrasound, I saw a heartbeat which was fantastic! And even if I had not, my doctor reassured me that since it was so early, that would not have been a definitive indication.

My doctor said that up to 1/3 of women spot in their first trimester. Out of that, 50% miscarry and 50% are fine. Since we saw a heartbeat, the probability of miscarriage would drop to ~5%. He advised me to avoid (1) heavy lifting (2) strenuous exercise (3) sexual intercourse until I had stopped bleeding for two weeks.
I am five weeks, according to the vaginal ultrasound I was given yesterday when I rushed into the emergency room with blood and cramps, once there, the dr on call, said everything was ok, but that I should call back if I bled enough to cover a pad in less then an hour, and had stronger cramps. this is my second pregnancy and my first had no cramps, or spotting (bleeding). Every case is different, if you fear for the worst, just call your doctor, they are there to help. Good luck, please keep me in your prayers too.
by laura i really need some help im normally regular for my periods cycle normally 36 days. I have had headaches lower pain in abdomen urinating little and often for a few weeks now. I took a test 37th day and it was negative and said test again in 3 days. 39th and 40th day i have had couple of spotting brown discharge then last night had very pale brown when i wiped n this morning have done another test which was negative and no spotting. Please can someone explain? Thanks
iam 5 and a half months pregnant i just noticed some light brown discharge on my undies i had a miscarriage 13 weeks ago should i be worried or not
This is so confusing because it could either go both ways...But on friday i had brown discharge...And since then everynow and then when i wipe there is brown and/orr light pink...A very little bit...Its monday so it has now been 3-4 days of this..at first i thought it was the beginning of my period..But Nothing came!?!?! My cycles are not always exactly 28 days apart...and also very slight cramping, a little moody, and sensitive, was crying this morning for no reason....any ideas!?!? is this just my period or am i possibly pregnant?
hi all i am 8 days late for getting my period.(making me around 5 weeks according to last period) i have had the usual pregnancy signs sore breasts, increase in size, light headeness, feeling sick.
i did take a test however this was neg. and i am spotting brown not very much and only when i wipe, i have had some light cramping but nothing major, can anyone help me as to why all this is happening yet i have a neg test x
thanks x
Yes Im curently 3 weeks 5 days and have been spotting brown/pink mucus for a day I woke up this morning and fount a tiny tiny tiny blood clot what can this mean
If you experience any amout of bleeding or brown discharge even a tiny amount you should always consult your Doctor. I had brown discharge when I wiped and went straight to the Early Pregnancy Unit at the hospital. When you arrive they will take a urine sample followed by a blood test. They will call you later with the results of the blood test, basically they will be looking at what your HCG hormone level is at. You will then be asked to go back and have more blood drew 48 hours later, they will call you with the results. In a normal pregnancy the HCG level will double every 48 hours, if your level drops it's usually bad news and means that you have miscarried or that the pregnancy is eptopic. If your HCG level has risen you will be monitored but should be fine. If your level has dropped you will have blood drawn 48 hours after, if the level has not gone down much you will need to scan to see if the pregnancy is eptopic. If you have miscarried you may need D&C, if eptopic in early stages it would be an injection.
I too am grateful to have found this site and to read that there are other women out there having the same experience.  I wanted to share mine.  

At 4 weeks, I took an HPT and got a positive. I took about seven other HPTs every day of the following week just to be sure--all positive.  I spotted once at 4W2D after intercourse.  At 4W5D, I spotted once in the morning---very small amount of brown/pink.  That evening, I spotted once and passed a clot the size of a cherry. At 4W6D, I spotted twice in the morning.  Again, very little and it was brown/pink.  No spotting the rest of that day, but I went to the doctor's to get my beta checked anyway.  Today is the 5W mark, and my period just came on in full force.  I had not had any cramps or pains, but I also did not have any pregnancy symptoms either.  (I had strong morning sickness and sore breasts with my first baby.)  Doctor hasn't called back with the beta results, but I guess I don't need it.  I didn't mean this to be a downer, just wanted to share my experience.  I hope for everyone else who reads this post, you end up having a healthy pregnancy!
I am pretty worried myself im going on 5 weeks and twice this week have noticed brwn when i wipe... I also had a mc in dec 10 and a tubal in june 11' , fingers crossed that this one will b okY, a lil relieved after readn this, thanx girls
I am 5 weeks 4 days pregnant and this is my first at 37 years old.  I have had four days bleeding.  First it was red blood then it turned to brown and then very watery brown.  I did not have any stomach pains. I went to the doctors and she sent me for a scan.  I had the scan and with their zoom technology they managed to see a tiny flicker which was a heartbeat.  The baby is only 3mm at this stage, but I am just so glad and relieved that they could see something.  They do not know why I have had bleeding, but just keep an eye on it.  So if you have bleeding it does not neccessarily mean a  miscarriage as I thought with all this blood I must have had one.  Good luck to you all.  Sarah x
I believe I am 3 wks pregnant.  I have swollen breasts and really no other symptoms.  This morning I woke up to urinate and I see 4 light brownish discharge drops. Im panic-ing. All of you above are saying its normal for 5-6 weeks, but I'm only 3weeks!
Hi guys, I am currently experiencing the same thing, this is the 4th day. However it got a bit heavier almost as a flow but not close to a period flow. The blood (and when wipe discharge) is brown and has a stong smell like when my period ends.
Coincidentally the morning sickness just started with the metallic taste in my mouth that constantly wants me to have sumthing inn it so I don't feel that taste. All in all the pregnancy symptoms are only getting stronger. I will go back to the hospital tomorrow to test my hcg levels and try and get more rest. The word of God says none will miscarry in the land and I believe it is well. Even for you all, have faith
My history: full term pregnancy in 2006; missed miscarriage at 9 wks followed by d&c in Sept 2008; early miscarriage at 5-6 weeks in Dec 2008;  full term pregnancy in 2009; early miscarriage at 5 weeks in July 2011.

I have seen spotting go both ways... I had spotting right before my 2 early miscarriages, but in another pregnancy I had spotting around 5 or 6 weeks which went on to be a full term pregnancy (my second child). I also had a missed miscarriage in 2008 with NO spotting or cramping at all, only discovered when there was no heartbeat at a routine 9-wk ultrasound. At that time my body even "felt" like I was still pregnant, with breast tenderness and queasiness, for 4-5 days after the ultrasound (I had a d&c a week later because my body was not passing anything on its own). I also have a cousin who spent a great deal of her pregnancy on bedrest due to intermittent bleeding--her twins are now almost 7 years old! So the outcomes of symptoms are just not predictable, and sometimes even the presence of symptoms is misleading.

All this is just to say... that symptoms are different with each woman AND each woman's various pregnancies. Statistically there are more happy endings than not. But if you are concerned it never hurts to discuss things with your doctor. Good luck to all! :)
I am 6 wks pregnant. My first pregnancy. I had spotting and it is exactly as you describe it "brownish" "old blood" I am amazed that we are describing it the same way, there is mild lower abdominal discomfort but no cramps. My ObGyn ad my husband are both traveling. I am going crazy. It was at least a little reassuring to read your writings. I pray for the best.
In alot of women, this is very common. The pink spotting is usually from the baby implanting itself to your uterus causing some light bleeding, and the brown is usually the left over dried blood after implantation!! You should be fine. Good Luck and Congrats!!
I am 5 1/2 weeks along and have light brown discharge. i miscarried on sept 5th with twins. I have been in alot of pain and they gave me hydrocodone for the pain. They did blood tests and my levels were going up but now slowed down. my dates put me at 10 weeks, my blood tests put me at 7-8 weeks and my ultrasound put me at 5 1/2 weeks. like i said i have light brown discharge and am freaking out. i know it could be old blood but this is how my mmiscarrage started the last time. i have an ultrasound on monday. Can anyone please help! and please pray for the best.

Lady Sapphire
I am miscarrying yet again. But i have hope that i will one day once again carry a child to full term. To give you all hope, i will leave you with this. Docter's are not always right. There tests can be wrong. have faith and pray. If you miscarry then it wasn't ment to be but if you do carry to full term, then know that i am happy for you. And it was ment to be. I will pray for all of you. Please pray for me as i try again to have a child.
This is my fourth pregnancy since October 2010.  I m/c at 5w in November 2010 and at 5w again in June 2010.  In November 2011 I m/c at 18w, which was truly awful and full of complications.  In early December I had a D&C b/c I had retained part of the placenta after induced labor.  I must've gotten pregnant a couple weeks after my surgery b/c I kept waiting for my period to start and five weeks after my surgery I took a test it was positive.  I've had three blood tests, one each week, and my hcg is doubling ever 2 days.  However, last night I had some brown discharge when I wiped so I went to the ER.  They sent me for u/s today and I am 5.5w but they said it was too early for a hb.  I am going again in a week and half for another u/s....I am cautiously optimistic, as my OB likes to say.
Sorry, I noticed a typo in my post....my 2nd m/c was June 2011 NOT 2010.  And then I had a period July 11th and got pregnant again later that month.
Oh and here are my hcg levels:

Jan. 17th 104
Jan. 23rd 914
Jan. 30th 11,990 (later that nite at the ER it was 16,349)

The u/s tech said she saw a fetal pole but it was so small that I couldn't really see it.  I thought I was 6w but she said 5 1/2 weeks.  I will see my OB next week, but the u/s tech said it is likely implantation bleeding.
This is my first pregnancy and im 5 weeks my hcg level i 887 is this normal i was having brown spots but its turning to bright red .. Should i be worried but i have no cramping and no clots??
Hi ladies! Im 5 weeks and my ultrasound showed a sac and yolk but tonight I had brown discharge alil worried but I believe itll b ok.
hi all,,
im having this at the mo!! when to hosptil they read my hornmone levels and they were low? im going back tomorrow for more blood tests to find out if they have gone any higher i really hope they have as i too am so so worryed i really want this baby and have been trying now for 4 years i have 2 boys and i have had a misscarrage befour but by reading your posts it helps thank you xx
I am 5 weeks pregnant, second pregnancy the first was a miscarriage. I have low pregesterone and had an ultrasound done Monday no baby no sac. I'm spotting brown and I'm freaking out somebody help me please.
It's now Monday I'm 6wks 2 days an been spotting light to dark brown since last Tuesday. I went in last Thursday for a vaginal ultrasound to see a sac an a small dot. Spotting increased a bit after that, simply thght it was do to vaginal ultrasound. The doc called back an stated she didn't see anything an to come bk a week later for round 2. I didn't get a heart beat simply thght it was too early. I had a mc 2 months ago an now afraid same is happening again. I'm scheduled in for ultrasound this Friday hoping for best but expecting the worse.
I had my LMP on 16/3/14 and I tested positive on both urine and blood tests on 19/4/14. I had occasional abdominal pain all through the week and the doctor sent me to have an ultrasound on 5 weeks 2 day. When the result came, they were not able to see the sac , but the endometrium had thickened to 12 mm. So the doctor again sent me for a urine test and the result came out as negative . But my periods have not arrived yet. Have anybody had the same situation and had a healthy pregnancy? Did I miscarry? Please help....I am going crazy here