Pregnancy 25-34 Community
How long should cramps last in early pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

I'm about 5 weeks pregnant and have been having cramps for the past week. No bleeding, just cramps, but they often wake me up in the night (somewhat like the feeling I have when I'm getting my period). This is my first pregnancy and I've heard these are normal at first, but how long should I expect them to last? Weeks? Months?
....nine months, and at the end of the nine momths they get really bad for about 12 hours, feels like you're gonna split in two.

Just normal though, mine got worse at 6 months.
I AM 6 WEEKS AND I HAD CRAMPS FOR 2 DAYS AND THEY WENT AWAY , MY DOCTOR SAYS THERE NORMAL ITS YOUR UTERIS GROWING !
I had cramps that scared me and on around 5-8 weeks. I am now 12w and 3d. Try not to worry.
Thanks you guys, it's helpful to hear this is normal!
i had them aweful for about 2.5 wks, starting about when you did. they also woke me up during the night, and were so bad, they would keep me up for a while. tylenol did help a little. don't worry... they'll pass. it just means your body's getting ready for the baby!!!
CONGRATS on  your pregnancy!!!

They do say that cramps are normal during early pregnancy (well really all pregnancy" but I was reading in "What to Expect When you are Expecting" and they said "When Not to Worry : Mild cramps and achiness or pulling sensation on one or both sides of the abdomen. This is probably caused by the stretching of ligaments that support the uterus. Unless cramping is serve, CONSTANT, or accompained by bleeding, there is no need to worry"

I hope that helps ya.....But if you have ever had a miscarriage OR if it is ONE sided then you might want to go to a doctor as soon as you can.

But if pain is serve or continues unabated for more than one day, even if it isn't accompanied by staining or bleeding that is another sign to see a doctor ASAP (also from What to Expect)

But not to scare you. It is probably VERY normal....
I am currently either 8 weeks or 12 weeks and still get them every so often. I know how you feel, I worried every little cramp i got...the doc told me as long as it's not like excessive pain and/or accompanied by bleeding ur fine..so good luck:)
i am on my 5th week now and the cramps went away..... is that normal ????
um i have never had a baby but my period is a week late and im waiting a few more days to take a first response test but im having cramps although i have a few other pregnancy symptoms. i really dont know what to do because the cramping is hurting but no period im kind of scared can anyone help me.
so it seems like cramping could be normal, but you can't really know for sure?

i had my period (about 4-5 days early) on June 15th. it was shorter than usually. i have had unprotected sex several times between then and now, but i don't know exactly when i ovulate so i don't know if its possible that im pregnant. cramping and super bloating started a few days ago (its July 7th today) -so its been 3 weeks since my last period, it'll be on one side then on the other then on both. this probably isn't related -but captain crunch has been my diet for about 3 or 4 days now just bc it has tasted so good to me. i feel like i eat all the time and my stomach is a bottomless pit.

i'd really like some help, some insight bc i am 17 and getting ready to go off to college. i have an appt on friday. but was just wondering what other people know and have experienced.
Confused & Concerned! HELP!
Yesterday I found brown stuff on my panties along with  wierd stomache discomfort and what felt like...cramps?? But im not suppose to start for another week. Im also on Nuva Ring so my periods are more controled so I know that im not starting early(also bc of other signs). But I'm not sure if i have implitation bleeding or not. The brown stuff is still happening today and bad cramps! but still havent started and not sure If i might be pregnant.
What do you think?
I've been havin cramps now and then and my period lasted for two days then startin spotting and ifor one week I had headaces everyday I wake up with them as well and my lower back hurts now and then and I been feelin a lil nausea and light headed but took a hpt ot was negative was it too early...
I have been lite head for the past three weeks the first time it happen I almost past out. then came the cramps the hurt so bad I thought something was wrong with me, the next thing that happen was the white discharge in my panties. I started to ask my husband if he was cheating on my me. Sure he got mad at the question but these things has never happen to me before. Please someone tell me if it's pregnancy signs?
hello anyone or every one just one question my husband did vasectomy and am having irregular periods, but am having some weird feelings, first am having some serious belly pain like a burning sensation don't know exactly where for at least 3-4 days now and also for two days i have been seeing spots of blood when I wipe after using the toilet also I have be feeling dizzy when I stand up, walk or do some work, I am eating more than I normally eat and my breast is a little bigger than normal not sore though am wondering if am pregnant or not am afraid to take a test because I can't deal with the dissapointment if am not. need some help please.......thanks
I'm 11 weeks pregnant now and I've had mild cramps since week 5. Made me nervous at first, but just went to the doctor a week ago and everything is perfect. It's just the uterus growing. It varies for every woman. Some may have it on and off throughout the pregnancy, some for just a couple weeks in the beginning, and some may not experience it at all (lucky ones!). But not to worry if it's just mild cramps (does feel just like cramps during a period). If it's severe, or if you're simply worried about it, go see your doctor. Peace of mind will solve it! Good luck! :)
I am 5 weeks pregnant (found out yesterday) and began getting the slight pains a few days before my ppt, they have been on and off and I assumed they were weak period pains.
How long should I expect these pains to last?  
Ur prolli Pregnant I'm 5 week and just founded out. its very normal to have crampin.I'm still having pain so that wake me up at night its crazy but good lucky
I jus found out that I was pregnant and I havent been to the doctors yet. I dont kno how far along I am they just told me that it was really early on. Im worried because I been having menstrual cramps for about 10 days but no bleeding. Wat should I do? How long does this last??
Am 5 weeks pregnant and I cramp every now and then most times in early hours of in d morining and it last like 15 to 20min is this normal?this is my 1st pregnancy and how long will this go on?can anyone help me pls.
I'm 6 weeks on sat and I've been having cramps from last Friday. I went to docs thinking it was something else and she suggested I take a pregnancy test. I did two and both were positive. My cramps are everyday, come and go, quite severe and now last between 5 & 10 mins in length, they get so bad that I vomit too. Could I request an early scan to make sure everything is normal and baby is ok? I'm freaking out coz it's so bad. Mine also wake me up at night, no medication as doc said it's not advisable to take anything this early on.
My husband and I have been TTC for a year now. My last period was on Aug 24, but my periods are irregular so i have no idea when i ovulate. Its )ct 24th exactly 2 moths late but i have been cramping over 2 weeks now. I usually cramp a week before i get my period...im still cramping. I did have light pinkish bleeding and brown blood. I havent taken a HPT becuase i am scared itll be negative. So is it normal to cramp this long?
Hi earlier this week I spotted for like two mins it was a light pinkish color, however my period isn't due til next week. it wasn't even enough blood to fill a tampon or panty liner I only seen it when I went to wipe. I haven't had any bleeding since, but since then I have been sleeping a lot lately, I get on & off headaches, I have mild cramping, my breast appears to be getting swollen but they aren't sore, I have been having lower back pain, & I even have become queasy from time to time, no vomiting though. could I be pregnant or is it just pms?
Have sex on the 15th of march and now it's April 1st and no period. The 1st week I have head ache, feeling like vomitn, nipple swollen and sore nipple. Now am having stomach cramps can I be pregnant?
I'm just entering my 7th week of my very first pregnancy, and the cramping is annoying. Not as severe as say, period cramping, but it's mild and off and on all day. I have my first dr's appointment in May, so I'll be able to ask more detailed questions then about what's going on, and what's going to change!
I'm pregant for the first time and I've been having pains in my belly and back for at least the past 2weeks on and off and now its starting to really scare me but when I went to see the doctor he said its because my baby is sat on the bottom of my belly ready to come out already but the baby needs to be moved everytime he keeps going there but I think its he's comfort zone cause he keeps returning there everytime I move him
Yes sounds to me that you are preggo!! I am now a little over 6 weeks and experiencing the period like cramps everyday at work, while sleep , etc, I take Tylenol to subside the pain. My cycle was a week late as well accompanied with bad cramps, by the next week I took 3 test came out positive!
So glad to read that this is normal. I have also been cramping & I believe I'm 4-5weeks. I keep worrying that something's wrong. It feels just like I'm gonna start my period.
Im having period like cramps and my breast are extremely sore!! The cramps have been going on for about a week and im 5 days late. I have had diarrhea for the past 2 days, and some vaginal discharge with no odor or itching. Ive been waking up extremely early in the mornings needing to urinate and nausea comes and goes through the mornings and evenings.. My fiancee and i have had unprotected sex very often and ive come to find out that we did three days out of my highest fertility days, and ovulation was just the day after.. We have taken no precautions. How likely is it for me to be pregnant?
hi, could i get preg two months after i stopped using nuristrate?
Im not a doctor but u might b pregnant,i had the same feeling,2 days late and the test was positive,dont think u need to wait any longer to do it,good luck!
i am currently 17 weeks pregnant and last night i was cramping BAD on and off i would cramp for a minute then go away for about 5 minutes and come back for another 1 minute someone please help me and tell me if this is normal or what not
Ive been cramping since last friday I never have period pains when starting my period but ive been in soo much the cramps have gone I havent started my period I had one in jan but not yet in feb I had an really bad headache this morning do I need to go to the doctors what should I do.