PREGNANCY 25-34
COMMUNITY
How long should cramps last in early pregnancy?
by Soopa4, Jan 21, 2007
I'm about 5 weeks pregnant and have been having cramps for the past week. No bleeding, just cramps, but they often wake me up in the night (somewhat like the feeling I have when I'm getting my period). This is my first pregnancy and I've heard these are normal at first, but how long should I expect them to last? Weeks? Months?
Member Comments (33)
by milkmommy, Jan 21, 2007
....nine months, and at the end of the nine momths they get really bad for about 12 hours, feels like you're gonna split in two.

Just normal though, mine got worse at 6 months.
by poohfan, Jan 21, 2007
I AM 6 WEEKS AND I HAD CRAMPS FOR 2 DAYS AND THEY WENT AWAY , MY DOCTOR SAYS THERE NORMAL ITS YOUR UTERIS GROWING !
by christiem, Jan 21, 2007
I had cramps that scared me and on around 5-8 weeks. I am now 12w and 3d. Try not to worry.
by tiredbuthappy, Jan 21, 2007
i had them aweful for about 2.5 wks, starting about when you did. they also woke me up during the night, and were so bad, they would keep me up for a while. tylenol did help a little. don't worry... they'll pass. it just means your body's getting ready for the baby!!!
by Soopa4, Jan 21, 2007
Thanks you guys, it's helpful to hear this is normal!
by amyschlink, Jan 22, 2007
CONGRATS on  your pregnancy!!!

They do say that cramps are normal during early pregnancy (well really all pregnancy" but I was reading in "What to Expect When you are Expecting" and they said "When Not to Worry : Mild cramps and achiness or pulling sensation on one or both sides of the abdomen. This is probably caused by the stretching of ligaments that support the uterus. Unless cramping is serve, CONSTANT, or accompained by bleeding, there is no need to worry"

I hope that helps ya.....But if you have ever had a miscarriage OR if it is ONE sided then you might want to go to a doctor as soon as you can.

But if pain is serve or continues unabated for more than one day, even if it isn't accompanied by staining or bleeding that is another sign to see a doctor ASAP (also from What to Expect)

But not to scare you. It is probably VERY normal....
by CYW, Jan 22, 2007
I am currently either 8 weeks or 12 weeks and still get them every so often. I know how you feel, I worried every little cramp i got...the doc told me as long as it's not like excessive pain and/or accompanied by bleeding ur fine..so good luck:)
by sarah859, Aug 14, 2008
i am on my 5th week now and the cramps went away..... is that normal ????
by niteluvr, Feb 28, 2010
um i have never had a baby but my period is a week late and im waiting a few more days to take a first response test but im having cramps although i have a few other pregnancy symptoms. i really dont know what to do because the cramping is hurting but no period im kind of scared can anyone help me.