Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Medicated Pregnancy, anyone else dealing with this

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

It is a far greater risk to the fetus if I am not on my mental illness medications rather than not taking them. Is anyone else dealing with this?
I do have severe bipolar disorder so i can relate to having a mental illness while pregnant. But i don't take my medication during my pregnancies. I started it back up right after i had my first and ill do the same with this one. But i only stay on it for 6months after delivery. I have gotten really good at managing it without medication. Its taken me over 10yrs. I still cycle but i now know how to recognize it before it gets too bad and work with my hubby and counselor to pull myself back out.
I am in no way bashing you for continuing to take your medication. Its actually the opposite. You know that you need your medication to ensure your sanity and your babys health. So its a good thing your on it while pregnant. My aunt had to continue her medication during her pregnancies as well.
It's something you should talk to your ob about. If the meds your on aren't the safest ones they can put you on something that may be safer for the baby. I agree in some cases benefits def outweigh the risks. I'm in a similar situation too. Best of luck to you with this pregnancy.
Yes, I have a personality disorder and I'm bipolar. I had to stay on one low dose of a mood stablizer. I didn't want to, I tried to go without the meds but got suicidal. The thoughts and pychosis were awful. I've been taking 5mg of saphris with no related complications to my medicine. I've gotten multiple ultrasounds the baby is showing no known birth defects even though that wasnt a risk with this med, mainly I was at risk for miscarriage but that's with high doses of the medicine. I'm 34 weeks now to. Talk to your doctor and see what they say. I'm sharing my story so you don't feel so alone in this. Am I proud that I have to take medicine that could be harmful? No but crying all day with thoughts of hurting myself and staying cooped up in a mental hospital would be sooo stressful and would harm the baby just as much I feel being in that state. It's like damned if you do fanned if you don't. Good luck, I hope you can find something that works for you