Pregnancy 25-34 Community
No fetal heartbeat during transvaginal ultrasound at 8 weeks 4 days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

I had a transvaginal u/s last Friday, adn the fetal crown to rump length showed 8.4 weeks. Hoewever, we couldn't find a heartbeat. I am due back for another u/s in 10 days time.

My menstrual cycle had been acting rather irregularly from the way it has otherwise done since the first time I had a period in my life - in the sense that my period always starts 5 days EARLIER from the last time, but the last couple of times, it came 5+ days AFTER the last time instead.

I haven't had any bleeding or even spotting whatsoever, and still have morning sickness, hunger etc.....

What are my chances of seeing a growing foetua with a normal heartbeat when I go for the follow-up ultrasound next week (in 10 days time from the last u/s - expected foetal age should be about 10 weeks on that day, ie if my menstrual cycle period can be relied on at all) ?

We are both extremely disappointed at the outcome of the last u/s and wish we could look forward to some hope of having this baby - inspite of all this history ...... so please advise
My thoughts and prayers are with you - We had a situation last summer where our ultrasound showed a fetus at 8 weeks (with a slow heartbeat) but 10 days later (at the 2nd u/s) we were told of our eventual miscarriage (no heartbeat was detected and the yolk sac was empty). I also had some spotting and cramping - none of which you described - so, hopefully things will work out for you.
You're in my prayers.
Mb
I had a m/c last August and the same thing happen to me.  My cycle was very irregular and I did not know how far long I was.  I went for u/s to get a due date and the u/s showed that the fetus was 8 weeks and no heart beat.  My doctor said I had a m/c and I got a D/C done.  You will be in my prayers, hopefully this will happen to you.  Have you had m/c before? or is this your first?
I had a m/c in dec,03.But with my frist u/s at 6 wks 5 days we saw a heart beat.Then about a week after that i started to spott a little but had no cramping.Went to doc he put me off my feet for 3 wks then the spotting stoped.So the doc let me go back to work, and on my second day back i started bleeding so i went back to doc they did another u/s and said baby had stoped growing at around 6 wks 5 days,about the same time as frist u/s. And i started bleeding relly bad and had to have d&c two days latter. I know what i went through is not the exact same as what is happening to you,I just thought you might want to know. I will keep you and your DH in my thoughts and prayers.I know how hard it is not knowing what is going to happen.I hope evrything turns out just fine.

(((((((HUGS))))))))
Dawnna
When I was about 6 weeks, I had spotting and pretty bad cramping.  The transvaginal ultrasound indicated a fetus of 8.5 weeks (which did not seem right to me), but NO heartbeat.  The doctor recommended a D&C.  I was devastated, having already told everyone, incuding my 9 yr old I was pregnant.  I insisted on a second opinion at a different ultrasound facility.  The doctor agreed but told me I was in denial and not to expect anything different.  After a week of hell, with painful cramping continuing, I went for the 2nd ulrasound and there was a strong heartbeat, the fetus measured about 6.5 weeks.  I am now 29 weeks! Cramping and spotting went away around 10 weeks. It was obviously the end of my relationship with the original docor!  After the first ultrasound, I talked to alot of people who knew someone whom had experienced a similar misdiagnosis.  I know what you are going through, it was the worst week of my life.  I was trying to decide whether to have the D&C or wait for a natural miscarriage.  My thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.
Sorry for using this thread, but no others are open..

I just wantedx to answer your question about the vaginal u/s.. No  it doesnt hurt, it it just kinda strange..
Its a probe they insert into the vagina, but they put that gel on it so that it doesnt hurt...

I have always been lucky and had female doctors do this procedure on me, it made it much less uncomftorable.. (not physically)

But this early on its the best way to see anything..

Why are they doing one? HAve you had problems in the past?

Thank you!!! They told me we would get to hear the heartbeat!! This is my first pregnancy and I asked what to expect and that is what they told me!!!
I wanted to mention that doctors are humans and they make mistakes, some more then others and more then they should. Don't opt for a d & c unless you are totally positive you are farther along and there is not heartbeat, make them check 5 days later. Two or three days to the beginning of a pregnancy is a very long time and lots happens in that time. If they are off by a week and don't see what they expect, a d & c is performed and just maybe it was too early in the pregnancy. I wish you all the best, I know how hard this is. Just wait it out!!!
Please let me know how it goes with your u/s.  I keep wondering if my doctor was also wrong because my period was irregular at the time I got pregnant.  I am sure everything will turn out fine.

Sonia
Thanks a lit for your advise and comments, as well as prayers and good wishes. While there is not much I can go right now about the baby except wait and hope, even the few rays of hope that some of the responses showed have lifted my spirits and made me stronger.
Thanks again until my u/s next week ..........
I had no cramps or spotting either, and my baby had passed - at about the same gestational age.  I hope that's not it for you.  Good luck.
I'm 16 and pregnant for the first time. I had my first vaginal u/s today and the doctor saw an enlarged yolk sac but no baby and no heart beat and I am 8 weeks along. I'm still having pregnancy symptoms i.e. morning sickness and hunger and haven't spotted, bled, and no cramps. I read about women whose babies didn't show up until 10-11 weeks pregnant and my doctor told me that I'd miscarry for sure but I am going for a second opinion. Am I being too hopeful??? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!!

pregnant and scared at 16
Hi i had a internal scan at 4/5 weeks and they saw the york & sac but no baby, when i went back at 7wks i was scared there would be no baby but they said that because i had terrable morning sickness that was a good sign of pregnancy, unfortunaly it was'nt for me as the baby had no heartbeat and they said i would m/c, i waited two weeks to see if i would m/c and it did'nt happen so i had another scan but things were still the same so i had a d&c. But i refused to give up hope up untill that last scan, i hope things work out for you xxx
Hey. Thanks alot. I went in today for a second opinion and that doctor said I was pregnant and I had a baby they just didn't know where the baby is. And I thought I was 8 weeks but I am only 7. I went in the hospital due to terrible morning sickness on Saturday night and all my blood work looked fine. The first doctor said there was no baby at all that I had already lost her but I still have morning sickness and all that. The second doctor said I was 10 weeks not 7 which didn't make sense as I didn't have sex until June 29th so that is around the time I got pregnant which would make me 7 not 10 weeks. Anyways he said the baby stop developing at 6 weeks- 4 weeks ago yet she is still alive and I haven't lost her yet. He said it isn't uncommon not to see the baby/heartbeat at 7 weeks but is concerned because my hormone levels are dropping. I have another hormone test tomorrow and if they go up or don't drop anymore then I am still pregnant and can still carry the baby. If they drop I am going back next week for another hormone test to confirm a m/c before I have a d and c done because I want to make sure i can't carry her full term before I abort her. Both the doctors I've seen don't make any sense to me. I heard once you had a miscarriage morning sickness goes away yet I still have it right now. One says no baby at all the other says a dead/or/dying baby. I don't get it. How could the baby be dead/dying at 6 weeks 4 weeks ago according to him but me not know it and I haven't passed her out yet. I still have morning sickness and hunger and all that and I still feel pregnant. I want this baby more than anything in the whole world. I am willing to go on complete bed rest miss a year of school and have a c section I just want to give birth to the baby. Everyone keeps saying it's God's plan and all that but I don't feel like I am gonna m/c my baby. Everyone thinks I'll be happy if I do because my life will return to normal and I can do cross country and take chemistry and all that but I want to keep my baby. I may only be 16 but I'm ready for the baby and I want it. I don't know what's gonna happen because they can't find a baby or heartbeat and I'm not sure yet where my hormone levels are. And they think the baby may be under the yolk sac and I've heard cases where the mom's baby was under the yolk sac and they had bed rest and still had the baby. I wanna be like that. I want them to know she is under there and that I can go on bed rest and keep her. I know you know how hard it is to loose a baby and I just don't wanna go through that. I'm holding out hope even though the doctors say not to because my counselor said that maybe I am a wierd case and they will find her heartbeat and all and I'll be able to carry her full term or at least til 6 months so they can c-section her and what not. I just want her so bad. And my friend is 1 month pregnant and if I miscarry it'll make me sad as she gets bigger and finally has the baby. Please pray for me to have her/him....Thanks alot..
I went to the hospital today ....hgc levels are fine now....am still pregnant...am not having a m/c....having an abnormal pregnancy so I have to go see a specialist..prayers please and thanks.
this is my 3rd pregnancy and i'm so scared.i can't be happy about it until i know everything is ok.i first got pregnant in october of 2006.went to the dr and that day i started spotting.i called and they told me if was possibly because of the exam,so i blew it off and figured it would go away.it never did and i had a miscarriage on christmas day.i got pregnant again in may of 2007 and i started spotting about 1 wk before i was supposed to start my period so i figured my period was coming,but i just kept spotting so i went to take preg test and it came back positive.my spotting never stopped and my dr did several u/s but never saw a baby or a heartbeat and my blood levels were high enough to have shown a baby so at 8wks i had dnc done.now i preg again and im spotting again.im trying to be hopeful and positive but its so hard.i have 2 children already and i had no problems with them.i don't know why this is happening to me.my birthday is coming up and im scheduled for an u/s in about 2 weeks.it seems to me i'm m/c on days that i can't forget about (christmas, fourth of july, and now maybe my b-day)i don't know why i'm being tortured like that.i'm a wonderful parent.i don't understand how monsters that kill their kids are given the chance to be parents and i'm not, even though i already have 2 kids i really really really want this baby.i also have hypothyroidism so this might be caused by me not taking my meds like i should.i started taking them now, but i wasn't when i got pregnant so i'm wondering if i'm causing myself to not carry a baby full-term since the same thing happened the other 2 times.the reason i wasn't taking my meds was because i was on the pill both times when i got pregnant so i didn't think it was that important to take my med.and this 3rd pregnancy, since my dr said it usually takes 3 months for someone to get preg after dnc, i didn't think i would get preg again til oct or nov.well i was wrong.dr said that i'm very fertile.and i will never know if i could have prevented a possible m/c this time by just taking my med everyday like im supposed to
I am so thank full for all the  people that  take the time time out to post their experience on this web sit.  You are all giving me hope.  I am 9 week pregnant and today 9-21 I went for a U/S and they told me that there was no heart beat so Ive decided to go for a second opinion in hopes that they can clarify thing for me.  I don't understand any of this how can at one moment I have a heart beat and a week later nothing?  Please pray for me I feel like I'm loosing my mind?  
I should be about 8wks pregnant but my doctor says I appear 5 or 6 weeks and there is no heartbeat pregnant.
I am very upset and besides myself.
I am overwhelmed with sadness right now.  After 5 years of trying to get pregnant I finally found out that I am.  I'm 8 weeks now and @ 6 weeks pregnant they did a viability u/s and found my baby's heartbeat.  When I went for a check up today they couldn't find the heartbeat.  I can't stop crying just thinking that I may not have this baby.  I have another u/s next week and I am praying to God that they find the heartbeat.  We really want this baby.  Especially my 5 year old.  Please keep me and my little one in your prayers.
Scared_mommy--I will pray for you 2night. I am sort of in the same boat. I have been to 2 doctors. Not sure when my LMP was, but could have been late July, which would put me at about 9 weeks. Have no idea though, since I was graduating from graduate school that month, relocated, and was running a lot. My gestational sac size and hormone levels indicated last week that I was 7 weeks pregnant. The embryo looked like it was in Week 6. There was no cardiac activity. Both doctors have been very solemn--even though one has said dating through sac size is not a perfect science and the other said he regularly disregards LMP's because people often bleed normally during pregnancy. Both doctors have brought up D & C's, though they have not discussed this with me at length. I am starting to think of being more conservative in my approach and to stop going to doctors for a couple of weeks. All I am hearing is negativity and I don't see how waiting is really going to hurt anything. What is the big deal if my sac shows seven weeks and the embryo looks like it's six weeks?
Scared_mommy---Maybe your baby turned around (maybe that's possible). Who knows? I am not putting my faith in anyone other than God at this point. Doctors ARE humans. When I first found out I was pregnant, all these hpt's told me I was. The same day, I had a clinic tell me I wasn't pregnant (based on a urine test). Two days later, I called a nurse's line and recounted the conflicting tests to the on-call nurse. That on-call nurse told me I was certainly not pregnant and would have a period in the next couple of days. I hung up and actually had a blood test done. I was definitely pregnant!
I just got off the phone with my friend. We talked about how many times she ended up in the emergency room with horrible bleeding and cramping. She was bleeding through pads like crazy. Doctors kept telling her she would miscarry. Her son is two now and talking. Doctors can't tell the future--even if they act like they can--only God knows what is to come. I try to look for Him for comfort, not doctors, not tests.
I went in for my first u/s on Thursday 9/27/07.  According to my lmp I was supposed to be 8.6 wks (i'm rarely irregular), but the embryo only measured 6.1 wks.  Also, the fetal heart rate was only 60-65 bpm.  My doctor only said that "this is not normal, but it is not uncommon & that it should resolve itself by the next ultrasound" which she has scheduled for 10/11/07 (next thursday, 2 wks from the first).  Everything I have read about others who have gone through this type of situation has made me nothing but nervous and scared, since most of it has been bad news.  I feel like I have lost my pregnancy symptoms already.  I would appreciate any input/information on outcomes anyone has, as this is my first child. Thanks!
mAw783- I am facing the same situation as you are. I went in for my second ultrasound yesterday (first was last week where u/s showed twins at ER but one has been lost)   and according to my lmp, I should have been 6 weeks and 6 days but the doctor says I'm only measuring 6 wks ...and I'm very regular. The heartbeat was also  slow at 60 bmp. My doctor did seem optimistic though and said that the heartbeats start off slow and should speed up as development continues. A heartbeat is a good sign.  My next ultrasound is next Friday and that should be able to determine the outcome. The waiting is almost unbearable so I am with everyone on that! If I lose this, it will be the fourth baby we lost within one year and the only we have ever heard a heartbeat for. Please report back about Thursday. I did find this forum which is optimistic in regard to early pregnancy dating and outcomes: http://www3.fertilethoughts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434194
Thats amazing.I started spotting 5 days ago, 2 day before me 12 week u/s. In the u/s it showed a sack and placenta but no baby. I was dissapointed but not in morning as there was never any baby. dr said to wait for my body to do its job as i am already spotting. That was 5 days ago. I am still only spotting and have no cramps. I wish it would hurry up because every min that goes by i am hoping that they were wrong. I dont want to be dissapointed all over again. 12 weeks is a bit far along to miss anything, dont u think? I stillthink I can feel it moving sometimes, slight twitching to my lower left hand side of my stomach. Maybe Im in denial. ( I have 3 healthy boys already)
same thing happen to me. I had my first ultrasound sept 20,2007 when I thought I was 7-8 weeks. I started having some light pink discharge. HCG level is not that high. I saw my baby's heartbeat at 128 bpm and measured only 6 weeks and 5 days. I started bleeding last Wednesday Oct 10 I should be 9 weeks and 3 days...went to my OB and didn't heard any heartbeat using the doppler. So I was asked to go for another ultrasound. The technician didn't find any heartbeat. but I saw my baby there like a small small person just the heart not beating. I'm still bleeding and was told to wait until it comes out by itself but this is like torture... Should I go for a d&c or just wait?
I lost my first child at 4 months last year. My husband and I tried for 7 months to conceive and finally did.   We are (what Ithought to be) 8 weeks pregnant.  However, last week (after some spotting) I went to the doctor who advised that he believes that I had an ectopic pregnancy.  He sent me for the hcg test and an ultrasound.  My hcg turned out to be 2950 and my ultrasound said that I was 5 weeks (just a sac).  The technician told me that it was too early to tell.  The doctor asked me to do another blood test two days later and the hcg was 3500.  He said that was positive but wanted me to do another hcg and one more ultrasound.  My Hcg  (3 days later) was 5860 which was exciting and I am starting to feel really naucious in the afternoons.  I have my ultrasound on Thursday (that will be 8 days from the last ultrasound) and I can’t sleep or seem to think about anything other than this child whom I already adore.  Is it possible that my dates are wrong?  I don’t think so because I had been tracking so closely.  Maybe I am only 6 weeks and not 8.  Has this miscalculation happened to anyone else?
Signed,.
Thankful for others like me.
Hi Mum to be!  I am in your situation - almost exactly!  Here are my stats:
LMP 8/16/07
Positive Pregnancy test  9/17/07
HCG 10/3 4840
HCG 10/5  4954
HCG 10/11 6013
Sent fo US to rule out ectopic on 10/12 -
Fetal Pole seen, Heart rate BPM 110
Measured 6w1d,  (SHOULD BE 8w1d).....
What do you  think???
My next U/S is tomorrow!
I wish you all the luck in the world.  I have read lots on the internet about mistiming  and the hcg levels don't mean that much because they vary from woman to woman so much.  That is what is keeping me going.  "They" say they should double every 48 hours but there are so many positive stories about low hcg.  Keep your head up!  I am trying to as-well.
!

Mine is as follows:
LMP 8/25/07
Positive Pregnancy test 9/23/07
HCG 10/9 - 2950
Ultrasound - 10/10 - 5 weeks measurement -
hcg 10/11 - 3500
hcg 10/15 - 5860
Ultrasound on Thurs.

You sound like you have a thorough doctor.  I wouldn't worry.  I have a good feeling about my baby too.  I think they (doctor's) don't know as much as they think.  especially in pregnancy and the miracle of babies, there is a little room for nature to take over.  
Good luck girlfriend!
Oh and my name is Andrea too.
I got this post on a different forum:  Titled (miscalculated due date) - check it out

Do you know exactly when you ovulated? My first ultrasound showed I wasnt quite as far as I thought because I ovulated late.(And I was on birth control so I know exactly when my period started) Also I was told ultrasounds can be off by 7 days either way. your hcg is going up and thats a very good sign, as is seeing a sac on the ultrasound. I think everything will turn out fine, I know it's hard (I had a miscarriage before I had my daughter) to do but try not to stress, it isn't good for you or the baby. I hope Thursday comes soon for you! Please keep us updated and let us know how it turns out
I am in the same situation as you and mum2b4 but I have been bleeding.  I passed a clot when I was 4 weeks - I thought I miscarried - went to the doc just to verify and she said my cervix was closed and all looked fine - I didnt know you could pass a clot like that and not lose the baby. That was 2 weeks ago and I only bled a little bit and for that one day.  Since then I have been going for  blood work.  My last Hcg was 3200 up from 2100 after 48 hours but since it didnt double they sent me for a vag u/s this past Friday.  They said the sac looked good and even saw the little baby - no evidence of bleeding.  The doc said I was 5 1/2 weeks and wants me to come back in 10 days to check for a heartbeat since it is too early to see one.  Then the next day (yesterday) I started to bleed bright red blood - enough to saturate a panty liner.  I have not bled anymore today but I think I am cramping although it could be psychological - I swear I am feeling all kinds of phantom aches and pains!  I am a wreck. I had accepted what I thought was a miscarriage 2 weeks ago but then the doctor gave me hope and I was so happy after the u/s.  When I started to bleed yesterday I was devastated.  It is Sunday so I have to wait until tomorrow to call the doctor.  I cant stand the rollercoaster of emotions - it is wearing me out - I just need to know one way or the other.  The not knowing is heart wrenching..
Help!!  Miscarriage 08.05.07
LMP - 09.02.07
Went to ER with a Kidney Stone & Infection 10.01.07 - Dr. comes in tells me I am pregnant that there were HGC levels detected in my blood (32).  Fifteen minutes later, tells me I am not pregnant. To come in two days to have my levels tested again.  10.04.07. Same thing, I am pregnant HGC now (80). Then after U/S, I am not pregnant to go have a D&C right away.  Then they did a CatScan after confirming a neg. pregnancy.  I contacted my OB who has delivered my (3) beautiful children, and she thinks the hospital is wrong, to have my HGC levels tested again.  I since have had two more results:
3500
14,000
I should be at least 8 weeks pregnant or further, though she tells me not to use my LMP.  Today I had an U/S which showed the sac and the fetal pole measured 6 weeks, however no heartbeat was detected. Now she wants to see me again in two weeks, and to have my HGC tested again tomorrow.  The only pregnancy symptom I have is sore breasts.  I am a little nauseated after I take my vitamin and that's it.  How can my HGC be so high, my LMP so long ago and a measurement of 6 weeks w/no heartbeat? Am I possibly going to miscarry again?
There is still hope...if indeed you are only 6 weeks there is a possiblilty you will still see a heartbeat yet. keep us posted ...god bless =)
Just thought I'd follow-up to see how your situation turned out.  I am in a similar boat and just thought I'd see if you had a positive outcome.
Still playing the waiting game and it's killing me!  My HcG came back over 20,000.  Shouldn't the doctor be able to see more with my levels so high? They seem to keep rising, I don't think from 14,000 to 20,000 is doubling.  I don't feel pregnant. Only my full breasts.  I have my next U/S on 11/14 to check for fetal growth & heartbeat.  From my LMP my calulations put me 9w 3d.  I know exactly when my LMP was, since I miscarried on 08.05.  What are your thoughts?
I have just finished miscarrying.  Things are looking up though as I am seeing a fertility specialist.   Staying positive.
How are you doing?
Hello - what happened with your pregnancy?  I have a 5-3/4 year old daughter (sucessful frozen IVF - 2nd try).  My husband agreed to do IVF again.  It was "sucesesful" and I am 8 weeks pregnant.  However, we went for our 3rd u/s this morning and the fetus measures 18 mm (last week it measured 8 mm) with a heartbeat of only 90.  The doctor believes today is the "last day" and that on Monday when I go in for my 4th u/s that there will be no heartbeat.  I am devastated by this.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
im 16 and im 8 weeks pregnant i when in for a suvire pain in my lower stomach under neath my belly there at the emergency room that night i was told my baby had no heartbeat yet my doctor seem concered didnt really do much about it later on that week i bleed and when in again doctors just told my about the whole m/c and **** but didnt bother doing another sonogram or anything to see if they were able to heat my babies heart beat now thats practacly a week has passed and send me straight home me and my babies father still have hope even tho were surronded my negative attitudes my mom sister everyone has lost hope and think my babys not alive any  more but i still have faith in god that mt baby is still there in my tummy wating to come out im really nervous for this coming up wed. two days from today cuz ima finally prove everyone my baby is not dead at all

--keep me in yall prayers
untill then wish yall lucks with
yall babies and yall sure
will be in my prayers=)
I had a simular thing happen to me.  My husband and I have been trying for 9 yrs to get pregnant.  We went for our first u/s and there was no heartbeat detected.  I am confused.  Ther doctors say I am 8 wks and that I WILL miscarry soon.  I have not had any bleeding or signs that I am pregnant either, other than being tired.  Because we were tracking my basal temps we believe I am only about 5 wks. althoug the drs have not even taken that into consideration.  What do I do???
Keep the faith!  You know your body, so you are more likely to be in tune with your actual dates.  Even early ultrasounds can be off, especially depending on the skill and training of the sonographer.  About the only time they can be absolutely sure of your date of conception is when you have IVF.  If you are 5 weeks, they may not see a heart beat yet & you would still have a normal pregnancy.  Are you scheduled for a follow-up US?  If not, I'd demand a second ultrasound and if your OB won't do one, find someone else!
I had the most horrible experience ever today, I started spotting red last night at 8 wks 4 days pregnant, When I woke up this morning I was still spotting so I called the doctor and they scheduled me for a transvaginal ultrasound. The tech said that the baby was measuring at 7 wks 4 days and that there was no heartbeat, Im now cramping and its going into late evening.  They took blood work and I am supposed to go back Tuesday to see if the levels have dropped. Im sure that its over, but maybe just maybe if enough people pray we can have a miracle!
Just want to share my experience with you too...I'm 8 weeks 4 days, and have had a lot of cramping and spotting all alone.  Mostly old blood.  I've found that with a bowel movement or sex it has caused red spotting, and my doctor feels its likely coming from the cervix.  Placenta is high so far.  Anyways, we had an ultrasound last week and baby is doing fine!  The ultrasound showed ovarian cysts, which are contributing to a lot of the cramping pain.  

So.....the moral here is that there can be a lot of reasons for spotting and cramping- and we need to be able to relax and enjoy because it is totally beyond our control anyways.  Just gotta hang in there and hope it works- one day at a time ;)
Hi All...I've been researching and reading post's for the last couple of hours.  I was pregnant earlier in the year and was diagnosed on 4/18 to have had a m/c at 5-6 weeks.  I had started spotting, it got heavier so my Doc sent me to the ER for test. They did an ultrasound which they eventually told me showed no embryo or sac.  My HCG levels were very low so I was told I was m/c and that it appeared I had passed all tissue.  I found out in July that I am again pregnant.  Three weeks ago I had my first appointment at which my HCG levels & progesterone levels were tested due to the earlier m/c.  The test's were good with my HCG around 29,000.  According to my LMP I am 8.6weeks pregnant.  Today I went to the Dr for my 1st u/s.  It seemed to me the tech was very quick as I have 3 other children and have had u/s before.  The tech put me in a separate room and said the Dr. would look over the u/s and come and talk with me.  When the Dr. came in she informed me that their was no heartbeat and the fetus was measuring 8.4weeks.  I was told I could wait for my body to m/c naturally or I could have surgery.  It was a lot to soak in and think about and of course I have opted to wait and see.  I have a follow up with the Doc in 1 1/2 weeks incase I don't m/c naturally then I can decide what to do.

After reading all of the post's I have I am going to discuss with my husband getting a second opinion and I am definitely going to wait and pray.  I'm 41 and I have a very healthy 15 month at home along with a 9 & 11year old.  This is my second marriage and we want so much to add another little one to our family.

May God Smile on All of You Today!  
This is my second pregnancy (first one was smooth sailing), and I am a little afraid (again) for this particular pregnancy.  It seems like this baby is making us worry more than not!  I went in for my routine check up at 11 weeks 0 days and the doctor could not find a heartbeat using the Doppler.  So, she tried transabdominally on the Ultrasound and still no luck.  The baby is measuring right on, so if it did indeed die, it died very recently.  I am scheduled for another u/s (which I will demand transvaginally this time) in one week.  The last u/s I had, the baby had a strong heartbeat (at about 7 weeks).  Has anyone had this issue this late and still had the baby survive?  VERY worried.  (The first worry came at week 5 when the u/s said I had an empty sac and possibly molar pregnancy.  We spent two weeks in utter turmoil, but when we saw only one healthy baby and a heartbeat at 7 weeks, we were instantly relieved and had stopped my worrying, until now.).  I love my doctor and she will not do a D&C (which I am happy about) until it is completely necessary.  She would rather me wait it out and if I miscarry, then I do it naturally.  PLEASE HELP!!!
I had my first u/s today and it was all over and done with within minutes, me and my husband were really disapointed when the doctor said to us that its too early to tell and all that she could see was a sac with a tiny black dot. I've been told to go back in two week i'm worried the same will happen again. This will be my first pregnancy and i'm so excited, but after today scared. I'm having symptoms of tiredness and nausea and intergestion, i've worked out that im about 5weeks and my doctors told me its normal not to see things this early but  cant help but to feel disappointed, is this common and has things turned out ok??
This is my fourth pregnancy and I have had some bad luck in the past with my pregnancies.  My first pregnancy I went to the doctor and they saw a strong heartbeat and said everything was fine, but I lost the baby around 12 weeks.  I had to have a D and C done.  I experienced no cramping, but without warning some red bleeding.  I was very upset and freaked out.  My second pregnancy I carried my son until 28 weeks and had no cramping or bleeding.  He was very healthy with a strong heartbeat.  I went in for a normal checkup and he was gone.  I had to deliver him steal born.  I was even more upset and couldn't look at my husband. It was the first time, I saw him crying.  I am not able to discuss the loss of our son, Lance, in our home.  My husband can't bare to think about.  After the loss of our son, I went to see a pregnancy loss specialist and a maternal fetal medicine specialist.  I was told that I was healthy...  I was told that they think I have thick blood that cuts off the circulation to the baby and to take a baby aspirin a day.  My third pregnancy, I followed doctor orders, and saw both specialist regardless of money and delivered a healthy little girl.  She is 3 1/2 now and I am pregnant again and scared out of my mind.  This time, I am pregnant with TWINS.   They run in my family on both sides, but I never thought it would hit me.  I went to the doctor at 6 weeks and they saw two sacs, but no heartbeats.  I have to go back April 8th and can't sleep from worrying, that is why I am up at 12:19 at night.  My sister just delivered twin girls that are healthy, but will I be that lucky.  I am cramping all the time, my legs even cramp, I am extremely dehydrated, and feel like I am going to pass out.   I am drinking tons of water and Gatorade, but nothing seems to help.  My other concern is that two specialist I saw before, aren't delivering anymore, but rather consulting.  I have to see a regular OBGYN, and that makes me very scared...  There are no more specialist that I can see in this area, what do I do.  My husband and I agree that this is it, no more.  I am getting my tubes tied.  I can't handle the stress and worrying, plus three children is more than enough.  I have always wanted two children and had to beg for this second pregnancy.  My husband is afraid something is going to happen to me and isn't much help because he says no matter the outcome that this is it.  That if I don't get my tubes tied than he is getting fixed.  He says" he loves me too much" and can't lose me.  I think he is just as scared of me of losing our babies, but puts me and my health first.  Where I am trying to consider what is best the twins and how I can help them to survive.  As a mother, I would do anything for my daughter...She is my world and is so excited about the twins.  I don't know if I could tell her if something is wrong.  Any suggestions to help calm my nerves.
Hi i jsut found out i was having a baby I went for an ultrasound and they didn't see the baby or nothing  the u/s tec told me it could be to soon to see the baby i went and got blood taken and my hcg levels are still high the dr told me if my hcg levels go down that i m/c or that it could be in my tubes  I am really hurt I just want  to know whats going on with my body and the baby
It has been a month on the 20th of july, fathers day that I found out I was pregnant with my fourth child. A few hours after I found out I started cramping and bleeding. Went to ER, Last m/p was may 23 so that ment I was about 4 weeks, Did u/s didn't see anything. Had hcg levels checked ever 2 days up until last week and they doubled every time. Very normal. Had another u/s last Wed. and it showed a sac, nothing else. Had hcg done again, the last was Sat. and it was 29,000. Great!
Had another u/s yesterday at 8 weeks and there was a yoke sac this time and what the tech that could be a fetil pol, but no heart beat. I want this baby, I am so sad and heart broken.
Ashley
Hi i understand what you are going through.. just yesterday i went to get my first transvaginal ultrasound i'm supposed to be 10 weeks. My doctor says i measure around 8 wks 4 days my baby wasnt moving and didnt have a heartbeat. He told me I will be micarrying. I hope the best works out for you. I can't believe this, am I really miscarrying, I want to think there is still hope or am I being unrealistic? What should I do wait it out or should I get another ultrasound? I'm scared to get the same results.. sorry I made part of this about me, just letting you know you are not alone I wish you the best.
  I would go for a second U/S even if you go somewhere different. I have been sitting around snapping at everyone for the last two week waiting for something to happen, but nothing yet. I don't have my U/S until tomorrow. You can't wait around for a miscarriage and for a Dr to ask you to do so is crazy. Get a second opinion and if they say the same thing than I would schedule a D&C and start trying again. A miscarriage could take weeks and we woman are strong but not that strong.  I am waiting only because it looked like things were advancing and my Dr. didn't say anything about M/C or Blight Oveum she just said lets not do anything to hasty and lets wait a few weeks just to be sure. Sometimes the internet is a bad thing. This is where I got all my info that scared the scrap out of me and I have been waiting for days for a reply until today, so thank you.
  This is the hardest thing to go through, you already feel like this baby is a part of your family. Don't give up.I will keep you informed and please let me know what is happening with you, all the luck in the world. I hope to hear good news from you soon.
ashoo7
Well I didn't make out to well. No heart beat and no baby. scheduled a D&E for Monday
Aww I'm very sorry to hear that, I hope you are doing ok, and its ok to feel how you do if people tell you otherwise do not listen. I know I felt sad, broken, mad, jealous and thats all ok for now. Continue to feel how you feel and find a way to cope as best you can.  I wish you the best.  I know its hard and I don't always understand why this happens but just know that now you have your own baby angel watching over you. I'm going to start calling clinics tomorrow to get a second u/s I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Thank you for posting a comment and giving me hope.  
  How are you doing. Sorry for the shortness of the last entry. I was just very upset and I in no way wanted to upset you. I hope you are doing well and getting some needed answers. I really wish you all the best and please let me know how everything is going.
  Everything went ok yesterday, I won't find out really what went wrong for 10 days when I return to the Dr's for the results of my d & e. Not real sure if I want to try again or just leave it to fate. I quess like my sister-in-law had said. If it was meant to be it will happen and if there was a problem with the baby it was probably best to lose it now insted of later or have a child born with some major problems and not that you wouldn't love that child with every breath that you take, you would still wonder why god could allow a child to suffer in that way.
  There are just so many factors to think about and yes I am very sad, but you have to believe that everything happens for a reason and you can't beat yourself up about it move ahead and keep trying.  Thanks for listening. It is sometimes hard to talk to the ones closets to you about what is hurting you the most.
Yea I know its hard to just be open with many people about it. I know whenever I hear comments even if tryin to be comforting I get defensive inside and stop listening to them. I still haven't gotten a 2nd u/s I am waiting to see what happens I can wait I'm a patient person. At the same time I speak as if I am going to miscarry just so I don't get further hurt with my hopes set too high.  I have a lot going on family wise drama and it's like everyone just forgets me in the mix and with this and the many others issues I do not feel they truly know the pain I am currently enduring.
I told you I'd keep you updated looks like I am having a m/c after all.. I started spotting so I'm letting nature take its course now..
I am so  so sorry. I really don't know what to say. I was just thinking about you and I am glad that I checked the sight. I will keep checking back just so you know that I am there for you if you need to talk.
Thank you, and this slow process is pretty hurtful but I'm strong so I know I can get through this, I have Jesus and God and my loving boyfriend by my side. You know it felt like my life was crazy and falling apart and like I had no control over anything, I could barely breathe. These past two days have been extremely uplifting, maybe instead of us taking care of our baby, our baby is taking care of us. I won't lie it hurts to see pregnant women around me-surrounding me it feels. And babies look at me more with eyes of awe they smile like I'm their favorite person for those brief seconds they make me feel so much better. I can't wait to have my baby(ies) look at me with that same look.
I am so glad that your spirit has been lifted and I know what you mean about everyone around you seems to be pregnanant and all the new babies. I guess we are just more aware because of our lose. I wish you all the luck in the future. Your time will come and all those joys will be yours once again without heart ache. It has been great to be able to talk with you and just to know that your not the only woman going through this painful process. Thanks for being there for me.
I am currently 7 weeks and 6 days pregnant. I went to the doctor today and got excited that I am finally pregnant! I have been trying for 4 + years and last year had one miscarriage early in my pregnancy. It is now a little over a year later and I finally got pregnant again. But today they did an ultrasound and said the fetus looks small and they could not see a heart beat using doppler. I am completely heartbroken. I am so scared about our future and am worried we will never be able to have a baby. Doctor said I will likely miscarry 24 hours to 2 weeks from now and the thought of it is killing me. I went through so much pain the first time and now it will happen again and all I can do is think about when it's going to happen. If anyone else has been through something similar could you please share your story so that I don't feel so alone in this?
Your are welcome, and thank you too for being here for me. It was nice having someone (the same someone) to converse with going through what i am and can relate to what I'm going through. Many people that I know of were not happy but rather 'better off' (selfish reasons) with their m/c and that's not my situation at all. I am starting to feel better, I still have my bad days but I remember I have a wonderful life and I'm loved by my boyfriend who is going through the same pain as me and who puts me before himself and just will do anything to make me happy just like I would for him. Not everyone has that, I have my love and we are living life together side by side wherever it takes us.
Still no miscarriage but kind of feel like it's going to happen any day. Doctor said anywhere between 24 hours and 2 weeks I will have a miscarriage because they couldn't see heartbeat on doppler ultrasound and thought fetus was small. Said it was a 6. I'm not sure what size it's supposed to be at 7 weeks 6 days. I'm now 7 weeks 7 days. Just dreading another miscarriage. Part of me wishes I wouldn't have another miscarriage and I'm holding out hope that it won't happen. The other side of me knows that when a doctor says they are 99% certain you will miscarry then the odds are against you that you will have a baby. Dr suggested that they take it out before I miscarry to do chromosome testing on it in the hopes of cultivating a good chromosome mixture with Invitro but I don't really want to do invitro so for now I have passed on that and will not do the testing. I have another ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday and if I miscarry before then, well then nature took it's course. I guess I still hold out hope that the doctor was wrong, the baby will have a heartbeat at next appt and maybe they just missed something or messed up. But I guess in my heart I know something is wrong.
I know how hard it is to wait for some on to respond to your heartache on this sight. I do wish you all the luck in the world. If you have read any of the other entries you know what I and others have gone through. Your not alone and the waiting game in a living HELL. Just don't give up, you maybe a little earlier than you think. Did they do a vaginal ultrasound? If not that could have alot to do with it. There is still hope. I read an entry from someone on this sight that had a similar situation and her next u/s they did see the heartbeat.
Wait until Tuesday for your results uf your u/s and if you are going to have a m/s for sure I would really think about having a D & E  for the simple fact that they will be able to do testing and find out what is happening so maybe to medicate you in the future to prevent the same problem from happening. Maybe it is something simple they can fix.
I have been pregnant 10x's and I have only 3 children. It took me 5 years to have my first child. So like I said don't give up. I will check in every once in awhile just to see if you need to talk. Let us know how you are doing
Hey there i just had my 3rd sonogram in the last 6 days went wed 8/12 first dr told me my uterus looked "funky" then pointed out to my husband and I what appeared to her two gestional sac told us to come back in 48hrs to see if my hcg levels will triple well of course we are excited shocked and have our hearts set on two come back fri 8/14 see another dr which i was fine with since the first was having hard time with my "funky" uterus. He was more informative but still seemed unassured as well preformed the 2nd sonogram to find out what the first dr saw was cysts not even the gestional sac she was looking at well then he points the real gestional sac which was measured to be at 5wks and 5days at that time and it ws empty nothing.  So he has me come back mon 8/17 now exactly 6wks and this sonogram showed yolk sac but no fetal pole so of course they want me to com back AGAIN the next followig Mon 8/24 so they can see if they can hear heartbeat ....This is my second pregnancy my first was 5yrs ago went undetected till I was 3months pregnant entering my 2nd trimester and I had never had this much issues not knowing till I was almost 4months pregnant i feel was much more pleasant, relaxing and smoother. I sit here reading forums postings blogs from dozens of sites and from my own personal experiences and reading others I personally feel DRs rely on what medical science has taught them when things dont go as sch as the  med book says then for them its the only other alternative unvialable pregnancy. Im not saying drs dont know what they are doing but I do feel they dont let mother nature takes its course...we are all different therefore just bc one woman developes her fetal pole in 5wks of pregnancy i dont think should be compared to another who hasnt. To everyone with doubts and hearts that been shatter with crushing news like that DONT lose your hope DONT let one negative doubt take your spirit its that hope love faith and undoubting that will get you through these hard times keep planning on that nusery theme and baby names its our strenght in belief that we wont except a comparison . Stand strong for you baby
I know how hard it is to want a baby so bad and things just don't seem to be going the way you would like. Everyone around me seems to have had babies or are pregnant. My husband and I have been trying for almost 2 years. In those 2 years we have experienced a lot. We found out we were pregnant with our first in April. At about 6 weeks I started to spot. We went to the doctor on a Thursday and had a vaginal u/s. There was my baby but with a faint heartbeat. I had already passed the sac and that weekend I experienced more spotting and bad cramps. We went back the following Monday for another u/s and it showed that I had m/c over the weekend. We were so upset. I hated that the baby was in my body with barely a heartbeat and there was nothing I could do for MY baby. In July we found out we were pregnant again. We went to the doctor, had the u/s done and the doctor said everything looked ok from what he could tell considering how early I was (5 wks). They did some blood work and found that my progestrone levels were low and I needed to take a pill for that. I went back 3 wks (8 wks preg) later for another u/s to find a sac but no baby. I had a D & C done the next day. I go back in 2 wks to do some more test. They now want to know if my blood is to thick to support the pregnancy. My husband and I still have hope that we will get our baby. Times like these really does make you stronger as a person and as a couple.
Hi, is there anything to do with the age of the mommy to be especially if she is 36 and it is her first time?
I experienced a slightly similar situation, in which my lmp that I thought was a month different from what thw u/s showed and they weren't able to find the heartbeat @ 8w ish, I had one done yesterdat both transvaginal and on my belly and they found a good strong heartbeat & I went home with a beautiful print of my baby! I'm now 10w 4d and it seems to be going good. Good luck and I'm sure everything will work out!

Ashley
hi iam 38 and im 8.5 weeks and they say there is no heartbeat .I have 3 boys 20- 19- 15 since my 15 year i have 15 miss. i am so sceard i go back to have see if there is a heartbeat if not i have to have a dnc.
I'm 18years old. I found out Dec. 2nd I was pregnant with my 1st child by a home pregnancy test. I then got a blood test 2days later to confirm the pregnancy. The results had shown I was 2-3months pregnant. I made an appointment with my obgyn the same day and got scheduled for my 1st appointment that up coming Friday. I was told i was 8weeks and 1day according to my last period (Oct. 14th). I then got scheduled for an ultrasound Dec. 19th, a week before Christmas because I notice a bit of pink (not red) spotting. So, my boyfriend and I went for the ultrasound at the hospital to see if there was anything wrong or if I was just paranoid and over reacting. I waited 3days for a phone call from my obgyn and he scheduled me for an appointment early the next morning. At that appointment I was told there was no heartbeat but it was showing I was 8weeks pregnant when I was thinking I was 9weeks going on 10weeks according to my blood results and last period. I was also told I was going to have a miscarriage.He went ahead and scheduled me for another ultrasound at a different place this time on Dec. 27th. and scheduled to see him early the next morning. Dec. 28th I was told the ultrasound was still showing the fetus was only 8weeks and still no heartbeat. He told me to either prepare and wait for a miscarriage or get a procedure done that same day to go ahead and remove the fetus. I got scheduled an hour later for the procedure so, I wouldn't risk hemoraging and it would be less painful. It was a 10-15 minute procedure and i spotted very little the 1st day and had very little cramping. It's been 2days and I'm bleeding a good bit and in constant pain with cramps. I'm regretting my decision after reading all these articles but I'm hoping my doctor was right and I made the right decision.
hi i went for and u/s and had a transvaginal 2day at the hospital but i didnt have a full bladder does anyone know if that effects picking up a babys heartbeat, i worked out i would be about 6-8weeks i could see our baby but there was no heartbeat, had a little brown discharge but that stopped yesturday  it only lasted a day or two, i was so heartbrocken as my fella is going in the army in 3 weeks and i set my heart on this baby, i have to go back in 10days to have another scan to see if we can find a baby, so im praying to god things will be k im just really scared i cryed my eyes out and dont know if i can go through it again its so hard this waiting because the doctor says its 50/50 HELP.
Hi Christine,
If you had two u/s with no heartbeat and no progression than you need to not question your decision.  You made the right one.  As mothers, no matter what happens (in or out of our control), we will blame ourselves.  Do not do that to  yourself.  Unfortunately, this baby was not developing and that shouldn't have any effect on any future pregnancies.  Try again when you are ready.  Just don't think you made the wrong decision, there was nothing that you could do to change the outcome of the u/s.  Good luck to you :)
I went to the Er for heart palputations & I was 8 weeks pregnant. The OB/GYN was able to see a baby, but no heart beat(tranvaginal ultrasound). She was so quick to tell me to terminate the pregnancy, & when I said i'd rather wait, she had the nerve to ask why. This was my first u/s, so it isn't like I had one prior & there was a heart beat. The PA-C stated that it could be a slow development, & that every woman & pregnancy is different. I go for an U/S tomorrow & my first prenatal visit on Thursday. I hope all turns out well.
I went in for my first prenatal visit and was told afterwards i would have spotting. two days later i did which turned into bleeding and cramping. went bak to the doctor the next day and they did a vaginal u/s and was saying they were sorry before i could get off the table my doctor said she really couldn't give me a definite answer and to wait over the weekend and see what happens. i have two healthy boys and its been six years sine i've been back in these shoes mind you i had no problems in either pregnancy i go back tomorrow for another u/s at this point i will be 8weeks 1day but i can't help but think that everything is going to be great god has the upper hand and we have to take a step back and let him do what he does best i will let you know tomorrow how my baby is doing.
Thank you to everyone for taking the time to discuss with such a balanced head/heart perspective. Yesterday my 8 wk (? Irregular also so who really knows?!?) baby had a hr of only 64bpm and my doc (who was with me for past 2 uncomplicated pregnancies) was visibly distressed. He told me there was not much hope and booked me in for follow up u/s today at 9am. He was again visibly affected but this tine in disbelief. The little guy is still there measuring 6.8 and hr of 68. I know science says there is minimal chance of making it all the way unscathed and there is nothing to be physically done. But Faith is another matter. I have been giving myself reiki healings since yesterdays news and trusting in the Divine for assistance. Whatever way it pans out, negativity and fear at this juncture can only make matters worse. To me this has been a true test of my beliefs and I have been so comforted by Faith In the Divine and the power of energy to positively influence a situation. I feel for you intimately. Perhaps to ease yr being, you could try some positve visualisations and see white healing light bathing both you n bub. I send you love and light from across the oceans.  
Ps: I will be sure to come back and update this forum with our progress. Next u/s is in 7 days. Anyone from previous threads had positve full term pregnancies with now healthy babies- we'd sure love to hear from you! Love n light S.
Big hopes and wishes for a good report on your next u/s.

I am in a similar situation and trying to balance hope and just waiting.   My u/s at 7w showed large yolk sac, no heartbeat, no fetal pole.  We were given basically no chance by the Dr.   5 days later (7weeks, 5days) there is now a heartbeat (though slow - about 80bpm) and fetal pole and baby (but measuring quite small).  So - there was significant growth in those 5 days, but it is still far from normal.  And yet, I am filled with hope that if all of that positive change can happen in 5 hopeless days, perhaps a lot more can happen as we wait 7 days for the next u/s.  Learning to just wait and walk in the "not knowing" is so hard!
im having the same experience i had scan at 8 weeks baby was there but no heartbeat was found im due back this monday for second scan. ive had no bleeds and no pains i still got morning sickness my breasts are still very tender and my bump is getting bigger it all feels so right.  im so worried and scared about monday
i am going through the same exact thing.LMP was April 20, 2010 which would put me at 13 weeks but because of 2 negative pg tests in May i would only be about 9 weeks right now. went in for a "dating" ultrasound and they said the baby meansured 8 weeks but couldnt detect a heartbeat via transvaginal U/S. got my hcg levels tested that same day and again 2 days later. First one was in the 63000 which was told is good and second was told they dropped. Docs sceduled a D&C but i cancelled because i just dont feel they should have jumped to conclusions. I have heard and read of SO MANY cases that are similar and they went on to have healthy babies. My first pregnancy went great and this one is giving me worry and heartache in hopes that i can give my 2 year old a little brother or sister :( So Ladies please wait out a few weeks and demand another U/S because doctors do make mistakes. i am hopefully getting my 2nd U/S next week to give me some peace of mind as to what my body and baby are doing. you are all in my prayers xxx
I am in a situation that is similar. I am 10 weeks pregnant from my lmp. I have known since week 4. At 5w4d they saw a fetal heartrate. I have been having cramping n spotting since day 1. But this weekend was heavier more painful. I went to ER they did an u/s and did not find a fetal heart rate. What should I do..  I am sooo scared, This would be my first natural pregnancy since my 1st child was conceived using IVF because I had soo many problems conceiving. We thought we couldn't get pregnant naturally and are soo excited. I started to show early on so most of my family and friends know as does my excited 5 year old.. What to do??  I went in for an HCG test yesterday and am awaiting the results.
I had an ultrasound today. I am 6 weeks 5 days. They seen the heartbeat measuring 100 over the belly scan, But transvaginal they could not see anything. So now there saying the baby is too small or a glitch or im loosing it. I think there full of crap!!!
I seem to be having some of the same issues as others here, but I am not going to give up.  I had an ultrasound about 3 weeks ago and according to LMP I should have been 8-weeks.  The ultrasound showed a gestation sac, but no fetal pole.  I am still nursing my youngest son (9 months) so the doctor said I may just be not that far along.  I just had another ultrasound today and there was a fetus measuring 7w5d, but no heartbeat.  I go back next week for another ultrasound.  I have been having some cramping and spotting in the last few days, but I also have morning sickness.  The waiting is so hard.
Im currently 9 weeks and 2 days an on monday I was told the baby was only measuring at 7w4days and no.fetal heartbeat was detected thru a vaginal u/s im devastated this baby was planned im so confused because wed of last weel say baby with a strong heartbeat, now 2 u/s later nothin but im still nauseaus tired witj sore tender breasts, is it a mistake
We found out on April first of 2011 that we were pregnant for the second time. with our first child everything couldn’t have gone better except the labor which was my bodies fault nothing was wrong with our son, we didn’t find out till I was about 2 months pregnant with him. but with this pregnancy when we found out we were pregnant I called the dr. immediately my l.m.p was 1/17/11 my periods are usually abnormal or at least they were before our first son after that I was reg for the first time in my life so when I missed in Feb. I just figured my body was going back to "normal" but low and behold we were pregnant when I went to the dr. she went straight to the blood test not even worrying about the urine test it came out that I was appx 7 weeks along so she scheduled me an appt for the soonest she could which was the 5th of may when we went in she used the monitor to try and hear the heart beat in the office but could not find anything due to the fact I am over weight so she scheduled me an ultra sound for the 9th the day after mothers day me and my husband and our 16 month old where waiting as the tech was trying to get a reading joking around about what the baby looked like and stuff  like that and then she tells me I want you to look at this after she informed me there was no heartbeat I lost it but the next day I couldn’t help but think something’s not right if in the beginning of April I was 7 weeks  by the time they did the ultrasound I should have been between 12 and 13 weeks when the tech told us we had miscarried she said the baby had died at 8 week and a day now my concern is shouldn’t I have started cramping or spotting or bleeding nothing has happened I’m still leaking from my breasts and as my husband puts it I’m always hungry and I’m eating thing I would have never ate when not pregnant  we called the dr. this morning and she wants me to go in for another test and ultrasound some time this week right now I’m irritated with dr.’s in general I understand they are human and make mistakes but that’s why they go to school for so long and get paid as much as they do we put or lives and live of our loved ones in their hand and for it to be as stupidly simple as they are human and make mistakes doesn’t cut it for me we have accepted our second child may be dead but I’m going to make 100% sure before I finally say ok and let it go. So I guess what I am asking is if we find out that the baby is still alive should I go to the administrator of the hospital where I had the first ultra sound or should I talk to the dr. about it I mean if  it is my body or there was something wrong with the fetus I can accept that what I can not accept is someone not doing their job correctly! I am praying nothing is wrong with this child but at the same time I’ve herd it once and yeah it hurts but the  possibility that the baby could be alive and I go though with a d&c or this pill they can give you to help discharge the tissue I would never be able to forgive my self that’s like an abortion and I have very strong views against that I pray everyday that everyone going though this or have gone through this that it never happens again and they are healing physically and emotionally and if anyone has any suggestion on how I can get my husband to talk to me about this if we have actually lost this child I would appreciate it you can contact me at ***@**** thanks
i am 11 wks pregnant. today is noticed i was spotting bright red blood. i went for an u/s and no heart beat was found. i was in absolutely no pain and my blood tests gave results of high hormone levels. the doctor is sending me to a different hospital for a 2nd blood test to see if my hormone levels drop, and see if they can get a heart beat to show up. they say they don't have much hope for me, but there is a chance that the fetus is hidden behind my bladder or something, or the high blood levels could be b/c the fetus had just died. tonight, i am still experiencing no pain at all, and the spotting is lighter to almost gone and looks like old blood. they said i could be spotting from sex the night before, but that still doesn't explain why they can't see the heartbeat. i have had a very easy pregnancy w/ no nausea or anything else. maybe it's been so easy b/c i'm carrying a dead fetus, i wish i knew. this is very strange. i'm 30 years old, this is a planned pregnancy and is my first ever  pregnancy. i am devastated. can anyone give some advice please?
I wish I could give you some advice. I'm going through the same exact thing. I went in September 2, and had a vaginal sonogram, the baby measured at 8 weeks 4 days had a heart beat 150 beats per minute. everything looked fine and normal. I received my little photo of my sweet pea and was excited. I started telling everyone, I went 09/15/2011 (yesterday to see the dr. to have my pap smear done and te Doctor searched for my babies heartbeat and he could not find a heartbeat. I had another sonogram and I received the news I did not want to receive, the baby did not have a heartbeat and the baby stop growing. I was devasted, I am scheduled for a D&C tomorrow. But I will be so ready to try again! :(
Well I am  weeks pragnet and I went to the doctors their is no heart beat to the baby and the doctor said the sano gram looks abnormal and I was doing a little spotting my hormon leavels were normal but the doctor said their is a possibility for any thing Im just thing about asking for a d/nc has any one exerienced this
I went to my apt at almost ten wks expecting to hear a heart beat... we didnt I had a lil bit of spottimg that am. dr decided to do vaginal ultra sound... still no heart beat.. but baby measured 8wks. and besides no heartbeat he said everything looked normal.. we did check hcg level that day was 1700 . two days later checked again and it was 1500.. they told me to prepare for mis carriage... im devasted.. besides sum mild cramping. im feel ok..we r suppose to go talk to,dr monday... is it hopeless
By eight weeks you should definitely see a heart beat. No if's and's or but's. I am an ultrasound tech and there is no waiting period that will change that. of course if you are indeed 8 weeks..if the embryo measures 8 weeks by its CRL then it is a missed ab. We can see a heart beat as early as 5.5 weeks by transvaginally, I would probaby wait for a patient who is 5.5 weeks but definitely not eight. It's unfortunate and I am sorry it is happening to you or anyone else on this thread. Know that early miscarriages are normal and there is nothing you did wrong. Its mother natures way of ending something that may have not been developing correctly.  
I'm sorry but I saw your comment and that you were an ultrasound tech and wanted your opinion.

My last mp was 10/27/11. I went in on 12/21/11 for my first ultrasound and all she could see was an amniotic sac, no baby. It looked completely empty. My bloodwork that afternoon came back with high beta count and she said she was 90% sure that it was a blighted ovum??

I went back on 12/27/11 and the amniotic sac then had a yolk sac with a little smudge on the side. Dr said there was growth but she wasn't sure why my beta was so high.

Back again for a 3rd transvaginal ultrasound on 1/4/11 and there was now what she called a fetal pole. It seems the same as the crown rump that was mentioned in earlier posts. She said she measured it and I would've been about 6 weeks pregnant. Problem is there was no heartbeat detected.

I will go back again next Thursday. She says if we don't see a heartbeat by then it will be considered a lost pregnancy. What I don't understand is how can the baby still be growing but there be no heart? Should there be a heartbeat present already? Should I be concerned? If there is no heartbeat next week, should I wait another week just in case?

Thanks!
My first pregnacy. I'm 8 weeks pregnat, went in for my first doc app yesterday, they did my physical check up, they finally sent me for u/s and the tech didn't say much but was rude gave me a picture of my ultrasound and said here I don't see baby's heart beat. go sit out in waiting room till we get your results. I waited for 3 hours for them to read my u/s and for finally the doctor to be reached I sat there and cried. When the doctor said I miscarried because there's no heartbeat seen and the ultra sound measures the baby at 9 weeks when doctor say from my LMC I'm 8 weeks and from conception I'm 7 weeks. I'm sooo confused and hurt. IM not bleeding at all, and I scheduled for 2nd opinion with diff obgyn. I'm scared and our family is very sad! When will my body reject this fetus I'm not bleeding or anything!
I'm just wondering how things worked out for you, if you got your second opinion yet.  I am about 8 wks pregnant and had my first u/s today.  Dr. said there was no heart beat, but the baby's growth was the right size and wanted me to have a d&c tomorrow.  I decided to wait and am going back for another u/s in 2 wks.  I am so devestated and don't know if I should even hold out hope. I also don't know if I should go back to the same Dr.  They were really nice about it, they just didn't want to wait. I already have 2 healthy kids and never had a problem like this before.
I went for an u/s  2weeks ago and I was 6 weeks and was a heart beat, went back today and I'm 8weeks 4days but no heart beat?? but the baby is still there and bleeding has stopped, got another scan on wedsday next week. Is it possible the heart beat will be there??
i am a 26 year old mother of 2 beautiful kids a boy and a girl, who are only ten months apart, my daughter will be 5 in a couple weeks and my son will be 6 in september. Both were healthy babies and i had a normal pregnancy with both, no problems at all. Last month on the 23 i found out i was pregnant with a home pregnancy test, i was shocked and surprised. i mean i wasnt on any birthcontrol so its not like i was preventing it....but i love kids and always knew i would have more, just hadn't crossed my mind lately i guess you could say :) anyways i called my doctor and made an appointment, which i had on the 8th of this month they figured from my last period that i was about 9weeks.....they asked me how i had been feeling and for the most part i felt fine.....just the regular morning sickness and nausea that came on and off all day.....other then that i felt fine no cramping, spotting or anything out of the norm. so finally it was time for the ultra sound.......after about a min trying to get a good pic of my cervix we see the sac....but we couldnt see anything else......i didnt know what she meant, i sat up and she explained that it could be one of two things, i am earlier then i thought or she used some fancy word and after saying "ok...whats that?" she said it would be a miscarriage. i immediatly started crying i know people that have gone through that and i felt so sorry for them, but having to healthy pregnancies i thought like a lot of people that i couldnt happen to me. so she took some blood said not to worry and in a couple days come back give more blood and they would check my levels and if the were high then i am earlier then i thought......so i gave blood last week and schedualed a ultra sound appointment for next tuesday that my doctor requested 2 days ago......however she called today and asked me to come in, she got my blood work back and my levels were really low....meaning that fancy word that i can pronounce but i know what it means. she told me i have options i can still go to the ultra sound if i need to see for myself and if its like before i can wait and miscarry on my own cause still i have had no cramping , or i can have a D&C....i dont know what to do?  
Yes it do hurt, you cannot tell people it does not hurt. Everyone has a different uterus and are sensitive to different sensations. Please stop telling people this.
I"m in the same situation.  I know it's been awhile.  can you please tell me your outcome?
Dear gpereyra.....your story brought back hopes in my soul....I;m in pretty much same sit as you were, except for the happy part, to which I'm praying every sec I'm breathig ... I'm also told I'm 8-9 wks, although my calculations are for little less... a wk ago i could clearly hear the heart beat and could be seen on the screen as well...few days ago, to another check up,  was told no heart beat...unfortunally, in my case, i did anoth US same day, 1-2 hr later to another office, and told same thing...i'm devastated and in total denial, of course, refused d/c, my body shows not signs of rejecting pregnancy yet, and now i'm reading your story and get tears of hope....what were you told? was a maschine error, or is possible that to a moment, heart beat would stop, and then start beating again????
I would so appreaciate if you would be able to share with me what was the doctors explantion....is there any hope that 2 US are wrong?? My name is Cris...thank you so much for sharing your story!!!!
...uuuufffff....i'm in so devastated and in so much pain for what i'm going through, that I didn't even notice how old is the message I replay to....did anybody else experince same as in the message from gpereyra and have some thoughts to share??
so thank you all for sharing your thoughts!!
hi my name is chaya am 28 year old ,i got married 2010 may 20 ,now am pregnant  and i went hospital for checkup 8 weeks 2 days doc done the scan and he told me still no heartbeat start and he suggested me after one week  we will do one more scan,if its not positive we will clean the uterus am scared bec this is my first pregnancy ,and wen i checked urine test its came an positive me and husband feel very happy now i feel very sad .and friend any chances after 10 week it will start heartbeat pls help me and pry for GOD thank you
I'm 11 weeks and 3 days but my sonogram is showing that i'm 7 weeks and there is no heartbeat what can I do should I  be worry I never had a m/c before I have 2 girls and they are fine I don't kno what else to do anybody have so advice for me it could be positive or negative I just need something to look forward to cause not knowing is stressing me out
Hi All,
I have been reading these post over and over again for the last week trying to find comfort, hope or just clarity. The first day of my lmp was 8/1 and we went for an vaginal ultrasound 10/2 and they said i was 6wks 4dys.. we could see the baby and the yolk sac but no hearbeat. We were devastated. This is our first baby, first pregnancy and we have told everyone already. We go back weds 10/9 for another ultrasound. the doctor was very negative and even said with most certainty our baby had stopped growing and i would more than likely start spotting this week (that hasnt happened). I dnt have morning sickness and have felt well the entire pregnancy except for breast tenderness and being exhausted. I am praying for all of us!!!!! Miracles happen and its in Gods hands at this point. It is so hard not knowing or understanding but we must just take it one day at a time.
I even have worst cases when my baby is 8 weeks my doc said there is only a sac and no baby with a 5x6cm cyst. So she schedule me for a specialist. The next day i meet my specialist and done a us and tvs us and he saw the baby at 9.4 and sac at 24 but no heartbeat. I was devastated as i really want this baby and already told everyone. He said that im missesd miscarriage and only a miracle will save my baby. Im trusting god that my baby will be okay and i hav been reschedule for another us on 2/july/2014. Hope the best for my baby.