Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Sleep positions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

Sleep positions

I must be on a roll, I don't normally post this much, just usually like reading the posts!!  I am worried about a post I read a few months ago that said sleeping on your back was not very good for baby, and that sleeping on your left side (I think something to do with oxygen to the baby) was more preferable.  Is someone able to enlighten me?  I find it (even with pillows) extremely uncomfortable sleeping on either my left or right side (am only 21 weeks at moment) and find sleeping on my back with a a pillow under my knees real comfy, but wouldn't want to be doing any harm.   Thanks.
Yes  I have heard of that too!! Left side preffered. Thats funny because I preferred sleeping on my back until I heard that!!  It then became I ended up sleeping in the lazyboy chair with my feet up.
My sister is a nurse and has told me that to sleep on your back is NOT good for baby b/c there is a uterine artery that supplies the blood to baby and it gets squished.  That left side thing is wrong to, the best position for sleeping is on your right side.  When on your left side all of your internal organs get pushed to the left which also cuts some of the oxygen off to the baby.  I have ALWAYS been a left side sleeper b/c thats the side my husband sleeps on and I am a BIG snuggler, so this has been extremely hard for me to get used to.  Good Luck!

ps having a nurse in the family is not always a good thing, you get to hear all kinds of things that scare the **** out of you!!!
Wow  again another different story, I was told by a nurse who was doing one of those stress tests on me to be on my left side,Yes your right about hearing all the ****, its like reading all those medical books too.
Went to some websites most say side sleeping lots of pillows they all agree with not sleeping on your back, one site
"Lancaster General Hospital sleeping positions for pregnancy"
says to sleep on left side, helps kidney function and blood flow

I guess what ever way your comfortable!!!(not your back) which becomes harder and harder.
Hope you get some rest somehow
I dont know about the rest of you all but I slept on my tommy through the whole thing dont ask how I couldn't tell you it seemed my doctor was fine with that.

Nicci
my doctor said the same thing as debra's you will get uncomfortable and move long before it hurts baby.

and the reason the left side was recomemended by my doctor and nurse was because the heart is on the left side of the body so it doesn't have to work as hard if you lay on your left side.  also had something to do with the swelling in your feet.  when i was all swollen they told me to sleep on my left side.
~nanci
ps and i too have a nurse in the family, but she is the WIC nurse so i don't hear anything :)  (laws are great)
I work for an OB/GYN and here is the story...sleeping on your left side increases the blood flow to the placenta. Sleeping on your right is not at all harmful, but the most recommended position is the left because of the blood flow. The reason sleeping on your back is not recommended is because the entire weight of the baby, placenta, etc. is centered on your lower back and kidneys, causing pain and a decrease in blood flow. It is not good for your back or kidneys to lay on your back.

I recommend sleeping on your side (left if possible) with a long body pillow to hold on to and put between your knees.
My doctor said that by the time it's not healthy to sleep on my back it will be too uncomfortable to do so. I am almost 30 weeks and it's starting to be less comfortable on my back because of the weight of my tummy. I sleep mostly on my right side. If you sleep on your back and your leg falls asleep, there is pressure on the vena cava which is the vein you want to avoid. If you sleep on your back and nothing falls asleep, you are fine, according to my doc anyway. Oh, and left is preferable, but right is okay.
Many thanks for your input everyone, am investing in a long body pillow at the weekend.
Body pillows are my saving grace! Happy sleeping Gillian! :)