Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Tooth Infection while pregnant, HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

Tooth Infection while pregnant, HELP!

I ready need some help, I'm totally lost at what to do. Yesterday morning I broke two back teeth. I have a pretty high pain tolerance,.but I've never in my life experienced that much pain. So I took some tylenol and used origel (numbing medication) and tried to wait it out. The pain was starting to get unbearable and I started worrying about it possibly being infected. So at 1:00 am I had my bf take me to the hospital. They checked the baby to make sure everything was okay with her (I'm 27 weeks) and she was completely healthy. So they gave me a shot of stadol, which is what they give women in labor here. It didn't touch the pain, and at this point I was in tears. So the doctor gave me another shot of the stadol. Which still didn't touch the pain, but have me a horrible headache as well. They ended up telling me that both of the teeth that were broken had exposed nerves and they were both also infected, but bc I'm pregnant they couldn't do anything else. The er embed up sending me home with amoxiclin and tylenol #3. I have an appointment with the dentist next wednesday, which seems like forever away! I'm in so much pain and my entire face is swollen. Does anyone have amy suggestions about anything else I can do or try to help? I have never experienced anything like this in my life.
Popsicles. The kind wrapped in plastic. They are the perfect size and shape to slip between your cheek and gums as an ice pack to help numb it. Also an old trick is to get some real vanilla. Put a bit on a cotton ball and place on the broken tooth to kill the nerve. Just don't use a lot of the vanilla because it does contain alcohol. Hope these help. I know it's not fun. :(
Hi my name is sakacey and i am a dentist assistant. The hospital did the right thing by giving you the amoxicilin for the infection until you get to the dentist but Im sorry but that is really all that can be done until your appointment. When the infection starts to go away the pain will stop. The dentist will pull the infected to at your visit because you already have antibiotics in your system so hang in there!!
You really need to get to a dentist ASAP. I know you have an appointment scheduled you really should call them on Monday and let them know you are in extreme pain and you are pregnant see if they can work you in or call you if they have a cancellation. You can try baking soda: 2 teaspoons in a half of glass of warm water stirred until baking soda is dissolved. Rinse your mouth out several times with the contents in the glass. Afterwards take a Q-tip wet the end and make a paste with the baking soda and use the q-tip and apply the baking soda to the tooth and in between the teeth surrounding the painful tooth. After about a minute rinse out your mouth. Repeat as needed. I would stay away from clove oil as there are mixed reviews on they safety as it can cause contractions. Good luck.
All they can do is prescribe an antibiotic and a pain killer, once the antibiotic kicks in the pain will subside, I've been through this and it take at least 2 days max 3 in the mean time take the pain killer as you need it but that's all the can do, it's the infection causing you pain.
How are you feeling ? We're you able to get your appointment moved up?
Get your appt moved up!  Feel better.
I am going to get it looked at today. They said they weren't sure what they would be able to do while I was pregnant...so we'll see.