Pregnancy 25-34 Community
Vent "work"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

Vent "work"

Well the other day my doctor decides that I don't need to be working so many hours. I have been working a lot of overtime that has been mandatory for the past few weeks. I work in a poultry plant. I have been having a lot of swelling and bh. Well they call me in the nurses station today and tell me that I need to get it changed back to being able to work anytime as long as they want and have the nerve to tell me that preg is a option that its not a disease that you can't get rid of, like they were saying to get rid of the baby so I could work like they want!! It has had my nerves tore up today them telling me that and demanding me to make the doctor let me work loads of overtime. My husband wants me to just quit but I don't know what to do..... I wanted to just ***** slap them!!!
Well if u can, quitting is an option. Or....does your company have some sort of an anonymous employee help line where you can get confidential advice? Also try going to HR, but try to read up on everything before you go via company website or employee handbook. Really is sounds like a lawsuit in the making. Regardless of if you are pregnant or not, they are asking you to go against your medical advice which can jeopardize your health and you being prego its just icing on the cake cause it can also effect you baby. Best if luck with whatever you decide.
I actually went to your profile to see what country you live in,  cindy.

I can't believe this is legal - I don't believe a company can force an employee,  over doctor's orders - to work overtime.

I don't know how far you want to push this - obviously this isn't a dream job.  They sound awful.  

Are you relying on this job for your health insurance?
I just googled this question,  and I'm surprised.  You might be considered a "farm worker",  in which case you have virtually no rights under the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Yea I mainly have it for the insurance and such. I should have rights under that act but the company seems to care less cause they have 100 people waiting to feel my spot. Idk
I'm not sure you do have rights under the act,  Cindy.  I can't imagine why a law would exclude citizens who work in one industry over another - seems so completely unfair.  

Can you be covered by your husband's work insurance if you quit?  It would be good get a clear answer on that.
BTW,  if there were "100 people waiting to fill your spot" they'd just hire them,  part time,  to relieve them of the obligation of paying overtime to workers.

It sounds like there is NO ONE willing to fill your spot and that's why they're forcing employees to work overtime.  No one else wants to work there.

I'm just guessing.
They cannot fire you because you are pregnant! That is discrimination and if they do I would sue them!  Sound like you should maybe apply other places! You never know it may be a blessing! You need to think of you and the baby! If you need to rest then you need to rest! I'm sure you would rather have a baby with no insurance the insurance and no baby. Just make sure you document what they tell you! I would go as far as recording them!
Also that nurse does not need to be a nurse! That's crazy!!!
My job is like that, they are not required to give us breaks and they dont, they are under the impression that I can work 10 with no break no food. When I tell them I need to eat they look at me like I am crazy. Even though they have a doctors note describing my work restrictions.
What a horrible situation, can you tell your doctor that its literally imposible and see if he can put you on disability leave?

Impossible to work in those stressful conditions and can you apply for medical?
That's discrimination. Considering you have a doctor's note, they have no leg to walk on. Tell them you will consider it if they put the request in writing.  They should back down. Next step would probably be going to hr though. Just be careful for discrimination. You can also share with your doctor what's happening what is going on to get his/her opinion and possibly put it in your file to support your claimin case you end up suing. Also talk to your state labor board. Good luck.
Yea I'm going to report them to the labor board and let my doctor know what there doing. Sad thing ga is a " at will" state meaning they can fire me for no reason. But i do believe there are still laws protecting pregnant women.  I work first shift and there is a 2nd and 3rd shift and there making different departments work over into the other shifts and then on weekends. Its expensive for them to hire new employs but i know they will cause i have seen them fire and do it before.I normally don't mind the overtime at all but being pregnant it's starting to get to me. I just don't understand why they just won't listen to doctors orders and let me be till I have the baby and everything goes back to normal
Im in GA too, mine is just a job to do while im in school though so I am not really concerned about being able to come back. I wish they were more understanding though so I could work longer, but I will be leaving when I am 7 months cause I know the further along I get the harder its going to be to bear thesr conditions.
Yea I'm not really worried about the job it's self, just pisses me off how they can do people
Research FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act). It sounds like your boss is a jerk and there is nothing they can do about your doctor saying you cannot work overtime. if it causes a problem with your "boss", he cannot fire you or anything over it or you can sue him/them.
https://tcsg.edu/tcsgpolicy/docs/Procedure_FMLA.html
Barbie it wouldn't let me go to that link for some reason. I'm not changing the doctors orders and risking me or my baby. They will just have to fire me. It's in the handbook about discrimination and such and all includes preg. And it's not like there short handed or anything, there just trying to get more production out to make more money for them even though we havnt had a raise in over 4 yrs
Fmla will.cover anything like that. I was having issues at 7 months and had to be cut down on hrs and I work at a factory. Even though I'm in Ohio which is also an at will state, the fmla is the same. If they have a prob I'm sure there is a disability youcould resort to, which is what I ended up having to do when I was put.on bed rest. Unfortunately fmla will only cover a certain amount of time that covers your position, after so long theysay they cannot guarantee your same position but still covers you.
Yea I'm gonna try to make it to atleast 30 weeks before I do anything. I think at my work in the handbook they will give you up to 23 weeks for disabiltys