Pregnancy 25-34 Community
When is the earliest you can see anything on an ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

My doctor has scheduled me for an u/s today.  I am only 5 weeks pg.  What, if anything, can I expect to see.  He's doing it because I'm having severe lower back pain.
I had an ultrasound at 5 and 6 weeks due to severe cramping.  They could only see a yolk sac at 5 weeks, then at 6 you could see the arm and leg buds.  Hope this helps, good luck.
Not much...I think you would see the sac, but five weeks is pretty early for u/s. I wish you the best and I hope you get to feeling better soon! :}

Thanks so much.  I'm scared to death.  I'm hoping that he will at least be able to determine if the baby is in the right place.  He is trying to rule out a tubal pg.
i had an ultra sound at 5 weeks and i saw a sac with nothing in it i was so worried but they told me it was way to early to see anything and mine was done vag. and tummy but if you see only a sac dont worrie your on the right track im now 27 weeks and i can see my baby she looks like her dad!:) to all ttc baby dust to all**********************************
They will be able to tell if it is in the right place.  I went in because I thought I might have an ectopic pregnancy.  They did a trans-vaginal ultrasound and was able to see that yes it was in the right place and that I was about 5 weeks along.  All you could see was a sack.  It looked empty but he said that was to be expected at this stage.  I was still a little scared.  I went back 7 weeks later for my regular appointment and my how the little thing had grown.  You could see everything the head the arms the legs!  So don't expect to see anything just yet but a sack.
You probably won't see much but to see anything at 5 weeks it's best to have a transvag u/s. Good luck and keep us posted.
I had my first us at 5 wks 6 days and they saw a heart beat. Good luck!
Well you guys were right, all they saw was the sac but it was in the right place so I'm thrilled.  I had to get a repeat hcg drawn but I feel so much better.  Thanks for all of your support!!
Actually it al depends on your hcg levels usually anything between 1200-1500 will show something... But it really depends and mostly at 6-7 weeks...
I got the results of my hcg and it was 2175.4.  It was only 331 on Friday.  Have I mentioned how much I hate this waiting game?  If it was a molar pregnancy would they have caught it this early on the u/s?  See my mind just wanders.  I really need to just chill out!
ok... here I go... from what I read on the internet (yep, its a dangerous thing :)  the chances of having a molar pg is like 1 in 1,000.  Although from reading past posts it kinda seems a bit more common.  Then I looked up twins and am thinking that since they only saw the sac maybe I could be having identical twins.  I read that the chances of identical twins are like 1 in 350.  My grandmother had 2 sets.  I'm not sure if they were identical because they all died at early ages, but I guess it's possible.  So does anybody have any input here??  Sorry I'm being a pain but when I calculated my last numbers my hcg is doubling every 27 hours and its really got me concerned.
Sounds more like multi birth to me, and woulndt that be wonderfull..... I would be estactic... good luck
I found this page on molar pregnancies.  
http://www.obgyn.net/women/articles/molarpreg_dah.htm
Are you having  bleeding, coughing, nausea/vomiting, or flu-like symptoms?  If you're feeling fine but they just can't see the baby yet, I'd consider this a good pregnancy.  It can be hard for the first weeks to believe your baby is ok if you can't see it for yourself.  Hey, if it makes your feel better, they couldn't even find my baby until 9 weeks, so I thought for the longest time it could be ectopic or blighted ovum, but he's there, safe and sound.  If your doctor doesn't think it's molar, I wouldn't think so either.  If he thought it was molar, they would definately do more than just an u/s, they would rush you to the hospital because from what I've read about them, they are very serious.  Try to take your mind off of it, and keep us updated!
At 5 weeks all we could see is the gas sac. By 6 weeks we got to see a flicker of a heartbeat. I wouldn't worry if you didn't see to much.
Thanks so much ladies!!  I just have to try and relax!  My doctor is repeated my hcg on the 15 ( one week from tomorrow) and then I go in and see him on the 17th.  I'm glad that I'm not getting any more tests done until then.  I swear, I'm driving my poor dh insane.  Thanks again for all the responses.
i know we took up your thread the other day (yesterday??) but i wanted to tell you that i am glad you figured everything out!!!  you must feel so much better.  Anyway.. i read that twins are genetic on the mother's side.. Is your grandma your moms mom??? if so... :-D

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!
It sounds like we might be in the same boat. My due date is oct. 8/06. On the 7th my hcg was only 126, so they retested on the 10th(yesterday) and it was 489. They want to retest on monday, and they are doing an u/s. I am feeling worried - this is my first pg. I'm not 100% sure what they are looking for or are concerned about. She just says that my nubers are low for how far along I am. Could it be as simple as concieving at the end of my cycle? Anyone have any other ideas?
Hey there, jusy wanted to let you know that I went into the er and I was 4 weeks and 3 days. My hcg was 885, then I had them repeated 4 days later, because the lab was closed on the weekend and they were almost 7000. In 4 days!!!!! But I had another ultrasound at 7 weeks and 3 days, and it wasn't molar and there was only one! The range is so different, the doctors have charts they can give you. I'm sure everything is just fine! I was really worried being mine jumped that high, but everything is good. Keep us updated!
hi everyone. I just had an ultra sound today. i'm 4 weeks 6 days. i had the U?S beucase last week i had alot of pain and cramping Very very very light "brown" spotting and lower back pain. this is my 2nd preg. i don't remember any of this stuff happening 5 yrs ago when i had my daughter. anyway, all the tech saw on the screen was a sac with nothing in it. is this normal? should i be worried. she didnt tell me much just that she was making me another apt for next week when i will be 6 weeks 2 days. should i be able to see more then?

(it was a transvag U/S)

Thanks in advance.. i'm so worried
michelle
Hey i went today for any ultrasound and they couldnt see anything but the hospital took a urine test and said i was defentily pergant but i cant remenber when my last period was im
really worried
Hey Everybody!

I'm new to this website, but after reading all of your comments in regards to early ultrasounds and not being able to see anything,I am so relieved. I just found out I was pg 2 days ago and had an ultrasound and they did not see anything.  So now I got go back to today and get my Hcg done again.  Before it was 509, I've been so worried the last two days.  This is my 3rd pregnancy, but I only have one child.
Hi everyone...I am confused and worried. I had a vaginal ultrasound done yesterday (first pregnancy), thinking everything was fine, however, they told me that the fetus should have measured at 8 weeks according to my last period, yet it measured at 6 weeks and there was no sign of a heartbeat.  The only thing they noticed was that my progesterone level was low, thus they put me on premetruim one week ago. I am scheduled for a D&C tomorrow morning and I am extremely nervous.  The person that did the ultrasound seemed rushed, she didn't discuss what to expect versus what was visable...other than the expected size and heartbeat (she also gathered info on my periods).  I didn't know what to look for or what to ask since this is my first pregnancy. In the midst of strong emotions, we (my husband and I) were rushed to a different room where we met with my doctor.  He told us that he was sorry, that this was common (and that he handles this kind of situation 2-3 per week, AND that a DNC had already been scheduled (two days out).  My husband and I didn't get a good feeling from the entire experience...everyone was vague and brief in conversation...yet we had many questions/concerns.  We would feel better if someone had offered us more information or consultation.  For the first time I felt like a number in my doctor's office and yet it was a vital moment in my womenhood. Again, I am confused and worried.  I can't help but question if I've miscalculated my last period and I'm not as far along as we expected...and that I might be making a mistake in having the D&C.  Help!!!
Usually 5 weeks, but sometimes 4 to see a sac.
HI THERE, LAST NIGHT I WENT INTO HOSPITAL AS THOUGHT I COULD BE HAVING AN ECTOPIC PREGNANCY, HAD TO GO BACK THIS MORNING FOR A SCAN TO CHECK IT WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE WHICH LUCKILY IT WAS, BUT WAS REALLY UPSET WHEN THE DR COULDNT SEE ANYTHING BUT THE SAC. I HAD WORKED IT OUT I WAS 6-7 WEEKS BUT I WAS TOLD IM ONLY 5 WEEKS, IS IT OK TO NOT SEE A BABY AT 5 WEEKS? REALLY WORRIED!
Wow What a relief to hear your stories.
Well my last menstrual period was around Feb 27th or 28th so that would make me just 6 weeks.  I had my first ultrasound and nothing appeared other then the sack.  I went home in tears and it was my B-day.The had drawn blood and it stated I was pregnant they want me to come back tomorrow to see if the levels have changed.  What a scary situation to be in. Anyone else get the same results as I did?
Last year around spring (05) I was pregnant, and I really didn't have any morning sickness, though I was tired a lot.  Other than being tired I was my usual self.  I went in for an 8 wk check up and found out that I had a Molar Pregnancy.  It's very hard to take in, and accept.  But there are worse things.  And the better news is that, there's a 1% of it happening.  So your chances of going through something like that a second time is very slim.  Now days, I am pregnant.  I am 10 weeks pregnant, and I go in for an ultrasound on 4/13.  I am looking forward to knowing whats going on with my baby and I.  This pregnancy I've had a few minor disagreements with food, and I get over tired and irritated.  I can't wait to see how it all goes!
hey - I am exactly in the same situation as you. lmp 2/28.  at 6 weeks had an u/s.  Only found a sac.  Hoping it is just too early.  i have to wait until this Thursday to go for another u/s.  All my levels were fine so I'm hoping to see something on Thursday.  How'd it work out for you? Good luck
I had a doctors appt on April 13 and The doctor used the little hand held dopplar device on my stomach and heard the babys heart beat and said that the baby was very healthy.  Now this week on the 20th I have an actual ultrasound to hear the babys heartbeat more clearly and to see how many are in there and to check my babys measurments.  So far so good, and my baby so far is very healthy and I cant wait to get pictures of my baby!  This pregnancy so far is very well, and I am very happy.

6 wks is usually pretty early to detect much, so don't worry yourself.  I think every pregnant woman has some type of negative though going through their head and one point or another.  Lovely how emotions work eh?  I have dreams that I'm carrying more than one baby, everynight I have some type of dream dealing with me having more than one baby, and I actually just recently had a dream that I was giving birth and my OBGYN was Dog the Bounty Hunter and his crew...lol...

Stay positive!  Lemmie know how it all goes!
I saw a heartbeat yesterday!  They said I am off a week - I must ovulate later than normal.  I am so excited.  looks like things are going to be ok.  I am so happy!!!
This is my first pregnancy. Today I am 6wks 1 day.  A few days ago I started bleeding. I freaked out. The Dr. did an u/s. We could see the sac, but no baby. She said I might ovulate later than some people. The bleeding stopped, but I am still really scared. They took blood to test my levels and are taking more today. I hope everything is ok.  Has this happened to anyone else?
When I had my very first ultrasound with this pregnancy, I was quite early.  They did an ultrasound because I was having some painful cramping and couldnt figure out why.  I thought maybe it was the start of a miscarraige (miscarriage).  The ultrasound at that point was way to early to see the baby.  So try not to worry.  You may just be very early.  Give it a week or so and they'll see the baby!
I went in for an ultrasound on May 6 and they found out I was pregnant but the ultrasound tech said that she seen a heartbeat I suffered 2 miscarriages before I had my son and he is now 7 my husband and I have been together for six years and this will be our first child together. But can they see the heartbeat at that early of a stage?
I took a pregnancy test on 5/24/06 & it came back positive but the second line was very light so I took another one and it said pregnant. I called my doctor because of some light pain on my side and because I had a tubal reversal done about a year ago and the doctor wanted to make sure that I was not having an eptopic pregnancy. I had an ultrasound done but they couldn't see the baby the technician & my doctor said that it might be because I am to early in my pregnancy to actually see the baby but that they did not see anything growing outside of the womb either. Blood was taken to see the level of hcg and i have to go back in a day to have blood drawn again. I should be about 4 weeks from what the doctor tells me but my last period was on 4/24/06 so I think that I am even earlier then 4 weeks. I went back to the doctor today to have more blood taken to see if the hcg has gone up and I have to call tomorrow to get the results.  I am so worried because they couldn't find the baby when the ultrasound was done I don't know if it's because I might be way to early or if it could be an eptopic pregnancy any ideas on how early a baby can be detected through an ultrasound????
HI Bernie,

Any update with you? I hope everything is well.

Hi...HOPE everything is ok with you? What did your results show?
Hi bernie23,

I am in the same kind of situation like U. I am in 6 th week.  But Y'day during the scaning, They couldn't find anything . I was asked to come again on wed 7 Jun.I am worried & confused. I don't know is it too early to detect or any other things....

(usually my cycle is nor regular, is it bCoz of that .....???)

BTW, did U get any good news .......??????????

After reading everyone's posts here I feel better now than when I left the dr. yesterday. I found out I was pregnant on Memorial Day and my primary doctor confirmed 2 days later. She thought that my last period was actually implantation bleeding and that I was further along. I was referred to OB/GYN and had 1st ultrasound yesterday. We saw the ges. sac but nothing inside. She believes I was about 5 weeks yesterday and that it could be too early to see anything or there is the possibility that the pregnancy didn't continue. She wanted me to wait 10 days before doing the next u/s but that is a long time to wait and be anxious. Of course I did as much research on the net as possible and just became more anxious. I feel better reading everyone else's thoughts and pray for the best when I go back on the 15th.
I went for scaning two days back. i was able to see 10mm yolk sac  in the correct location. The doctor say it is normal to see yolk sac in 5 th week. So i guess i am in the correct track .........

Hello everybody, i am new to this, i went for an U/S last week but they could not see anything at all, but i had a blood test on the 13th of june 06. could someone tell me how far i would be if i had a HCG reading of 754.

jacque
Hi Jacque,

in which week R U now..?  i think U may be in very early stage. DOn't worry. Even for me they couldn't find anything when I went for first scan. At that time My HcG level was 854..

So Pls. wait for one/two more weeks then, Go for a scan. def u will be able to see something. Good luck

Hello everyone. Im thrilled a site like this exists. I went to the dr last week at 5 and half weeks pregnant and he explained to me that my sack was present but there was no yolk sack or heartbeat. my values came back at 44,000 which was good but at 20,000 you should see something more than empty sack. I was devastated. I went back today at 6 weeks 6 days and there was yolk sack and flicker! I hope it is a viable pregnancy. why would my values be so high and not be able to see anything at 5 and half weeks?
I had a ultra sound toady and the doctor and i saw just a sac.  Does this mean a false pregancy or is it just to early to tell yet?
I found out i was pregnant on 6/6/06. I had my first u/s on my 5th. week and all the doctor saw was a sak. He rescheduled me 2 weeks later for my 2nd. u/s and still it was just a sak.  I went yesterday again for my 3rd. u/s and the doctor says there is nothing there, it's just a sak...he told me it's a bad pregnancy and that I have to terminated but not with out a 2nd. opinion.
So he schedule me this morning for another u/s at my local hospital, they did a vaginal and a tummy u/s, but the nurse that did the u/s on me did not tell me anything at all, she said I had an appointment again tomorrow with my OBG to get the results of the u/s. I am so scared that they have to terminated. I was really looking forward to having this baby. Should I worry?
6 wks pregnant...yolk-no baby.  Numbers are 15,000 and my progesterone is at 10.8.  They are going to do another ultrasoun in 7 days but no monitoring of numbers because i guess they are so low it wouldn't matter.  Im going to need some valum or something because Iam mentally am losing it!!!!

They tell me I COULD be early but my numbers sound low...right.  Waiting is EVIL...but is it worse then miscarrying--I feel like I will feel better when I at least know.  NO WOMAN DESERVES WHAT WE GO THROUGH.
Boy its nice to see that im not alone out here in the world of TOO MUCH INFORMATION! today we know much more then our mothers did when they where pregnant with us. And sometimes it can make us worry more then they did.
I too had a U/S yesterday at five weeks and they only saw a empty sack. now I'm going back friday to see if they can see anything. but if they can't I'm not gonna worry so hard. It sounds as though its different for everyone. And if there IS really nothing there and things dont work out. I will just try again, till we get it right. Good luck to all of
you out there.
FYI Im 40.
we need our minds to be peaceful. Maybe i will reach that point soon.
I'm very confused. On wednesday morning I found out I was pregnant by taking a home p/t....2 days later (friday) I woke up and felt like i had a bladder infection and was my urine had pink in it. I went to the hospital and everytime I went to the bathroom thebleeding got heavier. It turns out the Dr. did blood work and i'm def. pregnant and she said I had an infection. I have irregular periods and dont remember exactly when my last one was(maybe 2 months ago). They did a regular u/s and an internal u/s to detect about how far i may be. They seen NOTHING at all!! They said that it could be extremely early but I'm so scared and confused..they re-ran my blood work to see my numbers and the only # they gave me was 224.7..which she said is low and have to have the test done again. She said that it should go up and if it doesn't it could be a vital preg. What is that?? She didn't explain anything to me..I'm scared and confused!!!
hello.. I just found out this week that i am pregnant.. I went in for my first u/s today and the doc could not see anything!! .. Im worried..is this normal? Is it possable to not see anything this early?
I am in the same boat as everyone else. I am approximately 5 weeks along and had to go to ER for pelvic pain. Trans vaginal and abdominal u/s were performed and did not see anything. I am so scared and confused. Trying to rule out ectopic pregnancy. Never had one before. I have 5 year old son and healthy. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Pain has gone away and no bleeding as of now. Please respond.

countrygirl0819
At 5 weeks we were able to find the sac and a possible bean (using our imaginations, but our nurse also said she thought she saw something).  No heartbeat that time. A week later we were able to see the sac, the bean and a heartbeat.  This was transvaginal with fairly good equipment.  Equipment can differ, placement can make  things difficult... timing could be a day or two off which can change the results... lots of things can make finding where the implant took place difficult at 5 weeks.

Do you have a follow-up exam this coming week?  week to week can make a HUGE difference.  Call your OB and beg, if not plead, to be checked again.

Don't panic until there is something to painc over...

Best wishes to you, and I hope that it all works out well.
My last mentral period was June 3-June 8.  this is normal for me to be irregular. On September 17th I tested positive on several HPG tests.  5 days later I was confirmed at the health department, and 2 days after that I  was confirmed by my obgyn.  I did have a ultrasound done to see how far along my pregnancy was. Transvag and on the tummy. They didn't see anything.  I am very worried, and driving myself crazy that something is wrong. This is my third pregnancy. My first 2 were delivered by c-section. It has been over four years since my last pregnancy, and I have forgotten everything.  I have had tenderness in my lower abdomen at times, and I also have a cold. My children have been sick on and off for 3 weeks, and I finally caught the aches and cough.  So I don't know what is going on with me. I have had my blood drawn last wednesday(The day of the ultrasound) and my HCG was 1600, and I had it again on Friday. I won't find out the results until Monday, so my mind is constantly fretting about a ecotopic pregnancy.  I just pray that if it wer God would let me know clearly, and pray that my little baby is developing where he or she is supposed to.  This site has helped me feel like I am not alone, Thanks.
i know how you feel hun i am about five weeks myself and have been having really bad back pain and abdomen pain i went to the er and they thought i had a tubal preg but sence i was only 5 weeks there was still no sign of anything other than hcg in my blood i go back in two days to see if my hcg is increasing like it should if it is then its a good sign the obgyn that cared for me said that some women not all but some unlucky few do have back pain in early pregnancy its scary and very nerve racking just dont let them do any sergery (surgery) unless they can see that the sac is in your tubes and even then i would get a second opinion i know im sure glad i did.
jsut remember not all women are the same so some women are able to see there new member alot sooner than others of us so dont be to worryed if they dont see anything at 5 weeks they didnt see anything with me jsut remember hun stay calm and think positive and if something is wrong just remember 1 out of 6 women have some type of pregnancy problem wether its miscarrage (miscarriage) or an ectopic pregnancy wish you luck hunny and it sould like we are in the same boat at this point
heres my story.  I thought I had had my regular period in early January.  However after spotting for 2 weeks I took a pregnancy test and it was positive .... I went to the ER and was not hopeful.  However my tests came back normal ... They scheduled me in for 36 hours later to take the test again.  HCG levels went in 36 hours from 1200 to 1800.  So he said its good but not good enough.  I was 5 1/2 weeks and they sent me for  a vaginal u/s.  Saw nothing.  I am no longer spotting and am having lots of pregnancy symptoms.  I am now 6w2ds ... I have sore breasts, fatigue and some nausea.  I already have a 2 year old daughter and that pregnancy was nothing like this.  Please help I am in such a limbo right now.  I can't get a clear answer.  
Okay well, the my last period was from Dec.18th to Dec.24th. I had noticed that I missed my period, the day after I was supost to get it. So just out of curosity I took as pregnancy test ( A cheat little Dollar store one ) and when I first looked at it there was only one pink little dot. So I thought that It was just a really cheap test. Later on I looked at it again and It was two very visable pink lines. So I bought a more expensive test. The second I stuck the test in my pee it turned to a positive. I went to the E.R ( because I dont have ANY medical anymore ) and they confirmed that I am in fact pregnant. BUT they said I am meerly 1-2 weeks? So when they did the ultra sound they didnt see anything. The DR. said since they dont see anything at all that theyres a possiblity that it COULD be eptopic. they tested my HCG levels and then told me to come back. when I came back my levels had Rised a lot. so they suggested that I find an OBGYN. I really need help on this. Has ANYONE else been in my position? Im teriffied that It is eptopic, and im even more terrified that I might M/C.A :[  I DONT HAVE MY BABYS FATHER AROUND , AND BARLEY ANY FAMILY. I need as much help as I can get. PLEASE!
I had a tubal reversal 5 years ago. Immediatly after that I had two miscarriages and never got pregnant again. All of the sudden I find out I am pregnant! Went to the dr and he couldn't find anything on the vaginal u/s. he scheduled me for 2wks to come back in and repeat it. That will be feb 11th I am worried. I wish he would have had me come back in to test my numbers (hcg). He did say all my blood work came back normal though.....Anyone have any advice?
Hi, What a great site!
I too have had hell the last 4.5 weeks. In that time ive had a suspected ectopic, miscarriage, blighted ovum and now last week they finally found a yolk sac but were worried my sac was too big for the size of the yolk. Praying next week that yolk has my baby in it. After being told i had a miscarriage 4 weeks ago anbd not to go back it was my own choice to go a week later and now theres still a chance im ok. Docs wont tell me anything they said theyve never had a case like mine...they ought to do some research themselves!Praying and trying to keep positive although its so hard isnt it.
Good luck to all
HcG = 2000 at only 3 weeks?
here is a little background. MLP was 2/7/10 i think i ovulated on 2/19. i got positive hpt 3/2, 11dpo. on 3/3 i checked my HCG at the der's office it was 49.7...3/9 i went to my dr to see if she can check my progesterone cuz i was recently diagnosed with pcos, so i didnt want lose my baby, she did vaginal ultrasound, she didn't see a sac. so she recommended i re check my hcg level. which i took today and came up 2000 and am only 20 days preg! so the dr called me and she said that i might have molar pregnancy. am so scared as i know molar pregnancy is very dangerous.

I'm only 25 and I read that most molar pregnancies happen to women over 40, but I suppose it could still happen, since high HcG is a sign of this. Or is twins a possibility? Or does this sound normal? could pcos cause molar pregnancy?

Thanks in advance for any help!
hi everyone im am haveing my frist baby i had by frist altersound about two weeks ago but they didnt see nothing but i go back in two week im only for week
HI MY NAME IS ALYSON AND I'M NINE WEEK PREGNANT AND I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TODAY FOR AN ULTRA SOUND BUT,THE NUSRE COULDN'T FIND THE BABY OR THE BABY HEARTBEAT BUT SHE SAID MY SAC SEEM LIKE I WAS FARRER ALONG THEN NINE WEEK SO I'M WAITING ON MY DOCTOR TO CALL AND LET ME KNOW SOMETHING.I'M SO SARCED I DON'T KNOW WANT TO DO.
I'm so excited I'm trying not to be but this is just so amazing, I had my first ultrasound yesterday I'm not sure how far along I am as they said I'm very early but my sack is there an in correct place, is there something wrong cau they didn't tell me how many weeks I am, I am
nervous,
I was on my period from 6/17 until 6/23. On 6/29, I had this horrible pain in my lower stomach and lower back. I went to the ER and they told me I was pregnant. My hcg was 661. They did a regular and transvaginal u/s but they said they couldn't see anything, I had another hcg drawn two days later (7/1) and my hcg dropped down to 147. My dr is thinking that I had a miscarriage.  On 7/3 I started my period again and it lasted until 7/6. I'm not believing that I had a miscarriage. I have too much faith! I go back to the dr this Friday (7/16) to find out exactly what is going on?  Can anybody give me advice on this one?
recently went for an us and they found an empty sack and asked if there was any chance I could be any early than 8 wks, that is working out from the first day of my lmp but I'm positive I conceived 6 wks ago. I went for blood tests 2 days later to measure my hormone levels and had to go back again for more blood tests another 2 days later to see if my hormone levels have increased by around 60%, unfortunately they only went up by around 13%. I have another scan in 8 days and I'm so worried they will still find nothing and I will of miscarried! Please help me...
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site. All of the information is very helpful. I just found out last week I was pregnant with a home pregnancy test. A couple days ago, I went to my gono, and she said everything looked fine, without confirming I was pregnant.She did a normal pap, since I was due and did not take urine or anything. The next day I went for blood work, which was just yesterday. I hope to receive results soon regarding hcg levels,etc. They also took urine from me. Today, I went for my u/s and they only saw the sac, and yolk. Mind you, my Dr. told me I was 8 weeks, but my periods are very irregular and it is hard to base off of. I am very worried. The tech and Dr. today said I just could be very early. The stages are the sac, then yolk, then embryo. I am just very nervous for my next ultrasound. Has anybody had this happen before. The Dr told me, "Usually, if the embryo will not come up at all, then the yolk would not have come up." He told me since the yolk is there I should have nothing to worry about. I go back in two weeks. If anyone has anymore knowledge or experience with any type of these situations please let me know...

thank you
I found out I was prego on Aug 13. I started getting serious cramps and spotting, my doc told me to come in. This is what I learned about U/S and what they can see and learn. They can usually tell if its tubal preg. by checking for blood in the tubes by 4wks. and if needed can confirm it with another U/S 2wks later, mine did so just "to be sure it wasn't". The heartbeat will be seen at 6 wks. Between these 3 ultrasound I've had they saw the sac at 5 wks and then the yoke at 6. My doctors were very informative. My usual doc did blood work to test me levels to make sure they doubled in 2 days. Said that was also a way to tell if ur miscarrying or if its tubal. Ones dates can also be me misleading because some ovulate sooner or later than what is considered "normal". I for one fall into the latter.
Hope this helps to alleviate some worries.
Hi!

I am 6 weeks and 6 days preg with twins. I had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks and 4 days due to spotting but had no cramping so I called my fertility doc and asked to do an emergency ultrasound. That's when I found out I was having twins but all they saw was two sacs. Yesterday i went for my second ultrasound at 6 weeks/5 days and there were no hearbeats....I'm so sad as this will be the second time this has happend at this early stage to my husband and I. I don't have morning sickness and my "girls" (boobs) don't hurt as much when I touch them so that is worring me a bit. I called the fertility clinic I am dealing with as the doc want's to see me too discuss further on what will happen but i told the receptionist to let the doc know that i want to have another ultrasound in a few weeks before I see him just too be sure. I've read about other women in the same situation as i am and some women didn't see a heartbeat at 6 or even 7 weeks with twins or just with one baby. One women even saw the heartbeat at 8 weeks with twins. I am trying to stay positive but i am really scared.
Does anyone have any advice???

Thanks!
J
I went to the hosiptal last night cause I was havin unnormal pains in my stomach. So they took blood took a urine test and vag ultrsound and outer ultrsound. They said the urine test came back that I was pregnant but the blood leveis so low they can detect it. They also said that kin both ultrsounds they say nothing I don't know what to do I can't sleep eat or stop crying
Everyone on here is helpful.. By my calcualtions I am 5 weeks and 5 days, I found out I was carrying almost 2 weeks ago and 3 times since then I have had dull cramping on the left side, there have been plenty of other days that I have had "regular" mild cramping in the middle but I am concerned the pregnancy isnt in the right place.. I have an app tomorrow again to check my hcg levels, but I will tell them my concerns so they can check for an ectopic.. Has anyone experienced these cramps before?? And if so how did things turn out?
Hello all, I have been reading most of these post and getting alot info from them.. Though I need advise on my situation. I got off the shot in July 2010. I had 2 periods since, the last one ending 10/2/10, I started spotting dark red on 10/10, took a pregnancy test on 10/15 and it came positive, as well as 3 more. I hadn't stopped bleeding and started small clumps and so on 10/18 I went to urgent care and took a test and still positive so i had a vaginal ultra sound and she said by the dates they probably can't see anything anyways, so after the u/s the doc said she didn't see anything at all in my uterus so I probably am not preg. Today is 10/19 and I am barely bleeding at all, do you think I am still preg and just way too early to see anything or did I have a early miscarriage? I hate this waiting game!!
So here is my story my period was 4 days late and i took a pregnancy test and it came out negative so tokk another 2 the next coupld of days and still negative so i waited till i was 10 days late and got a faint second positive line. So to make sure i took another test this time digital and it said yes. Now its 2 weeks late and i did blood work test and it came out postive but my DR said my level was really low,164 which she said would make me about a week preg, but according to my last period which was Sept 9 its now october 21, i should be about 5 weeks. so i went for an ultra sound today and they couldnt find anything but said my wall was really thick, then she did an internal ultras sound and found a black dot. That's all, she said it could be too early! im so confused is it possible to be only 1 or 2 weeks when my last period was over 42 days ago? HELP
Hey,
don't worry all you can do now is waiting like we all.
I went to doc last week, came back home all in tears because he said i might have misscariage. Story is had my LMP 7th of Sept, and it turned out that im with child after a month. when I went to do U/S doc said that im 5-6 weeks but all he could see was an empty sac- im going for 2nd U/S on Monday. We all need to keep in mind that doc might be wrong with all dates calculation. We ovulate in different times etc. With my calculations Im only 4 weeks at the moment- I have looong periods etc. So it might be just too early to see anything apart from sac. Or maybe its juist not the right time for having a baby. Fingers crossed.
I am going through the same situation but slightly diff, I went to the hospital and found out I was supposedly 5 weeks prego sunday at that time 1300 hgc level, they did a ultrasound and found nothing no sac, just nothing so today I went to my follow up appointment and they did more blood work and another ultrasound and still didn't see anything, now I am waiting to next week for another ultrasound and my results, please someone give me somthing positive on the matter bcause I am so depressed thinking about my possible lost
Hey- just came back fro mdoc office- on this u/s we saw a heartbeat! :) So far so good- so girls- there is laways a hope and that a doc might misscalucaleted your dates- heads up!!
Wow. I've read thru most of the comments and surprised to find that alot of you have had the same things i had! Right after my period ended, i noticed some spotting. Thought nothing of it, until I was still spotting 2 weeks later. i took 6 at home preg tests, all positive. i went to the ER with stomach pain where it was confirmed I was pregnant. i went to the ob gyn friday, and had trans and topic ultrasounds, nothing showed up. I had HCG levels drawn on friday and again on sunday. I find out the results on 10/27 to find out if I'm really pregnant (I've been trying for *FIVE YEARS*!), and if everything is ok, but the smallest things make me worry. Eek! How is every one else doing?
it could be that you're just too early in your pregnancy to see the baby. I had my ultrasound and transvaginal done, and they couldn't see a sac, but I was defiantly pregnant.  It was just too early to see. Hopefully I'll get to see something tomorrow.
I am 7 weeks from my lmp, but I was having some cramping in my lower back and in my pelvic area so I went to the er they did some blood work and a vag ultrasound, my hcg levels were 1800, they found a sac but no baby? I'm really concerned I go in Monday for my first prenatal visit? My periods have been irregular and I think I may not be as far along as they think? any advice?
Hi... So I am not even sure if I'm pregnant... and I'm super worried! My stomach has been hurting very much for the past week now, and I've only had a few early pregnancy symptoms. I had an ultrasound done yesterday because my stomach was killing me! They didn't see anything at all... and they still can't tell me if I'm pregnant! I've been reading and asking, but everyone is telling me that it's too early to tell... When will I know for sure? My next period should be in about two or three weeks if I'm not... but I hate waiting. I'm going in for another ultrasound in a few weeks... I have no idea what to expect to see!
I went into the er yesterday to see if I was having an eptopic pregnancy. Based on the online tests from my LMP I was 5 weeks and 2 days. The blood and urine all came back positive for being pregnant, but when they did the ultra sound all they saw was a sack. I have endometriousis so this scares me alot. Whats wrong?
Doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Your dates could be off (IE ovulating late) and you could just be a lot sooner than you think. It's not surprising you've not seen much yet. Wait a week or two and have another scan done. In early pregnancy just a few days can make an enormous difference.
so i just got a positive test yesterday.. i went to the er last night because i had been having hip pain so now i know im pregnant i was worried due to a previous pregnancy... they did a urine which also came up positive then a serum test , which they said my level was only at 138.. they also did an ultrasound and could not see anything but during the pelvic exam said my cervix is closed so no miscarriage.. im just worried because from my last period i should be about 6 weeks but my levels and the u/s are saying different... i have to go back tomorrow for another serum test to see if my levels are doubling.. should i be worried??????
i had a u/s on april 1 2011 and she stated she see the first stage of pregancy and showed me 2 sacks with a dark line between them then on april 6 i started my period 5days heavy flow wtf help am i pregnate cuz im dranking this is stressful.
Hi, My name is Katlin I'm 18 this is my first pregnancy of course and unexpected. I had a positive test 5 times last week so i visited my doc yesterday she said i was really early when she gave me a exam, and had a U/S today they said they couldn't see anything but that could be that im early well my doctor said that yesterday and today i had a different one SO i don't know what to think they also said that they needed blood work today and Friday to check my levels in case the baby was in my tubes but not to worry that I was probably early which the doctor that gave the exam said i was extremely early. I don't know what to think. Is this normal to not show up my doc said from her feeling yesterday and all i was probably not even 2 months i was early she couldn't even tell me how far along i was. And she was giving me the real exam. So is it normal for them to make me take blood work and check for my levels and for nothing to show up?
I have taken 4 @ home test that all say positive, I have swollen breast and light spotting that lasted 3 days. This is my 1st pregnancy @24 although Ive been trying but today the er showed no baby on the altrasound. Their test show I pregnant and this is my first missed period Im soooo afraid but seeing Im not alone gives me hope.. Thank u all

I just had an ectopic pregnancy in April, under went surgery to remove the fetus.... I was 10 weeks. I had taken 2 PG tests for two weeks after I had missed my period. And they came out negative till the third week came out positive but very faint, had very sharp pains and non stop heavy spotting. I'm 5 weeks pregnant now, took a test 2 days after i missed my period and boom positive!!and experiencing a very mild cramp/pain but nooooooo bleeding at all my Dr did an exam and he does not feel its an ectopic, should I still worry? I want nothing more then to be a mother :)
I am 6 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound today and all we saw was a sack. Is that norma? And I have a large syst on my left ovarie, is that harmful to baby?
. Hi everyonee I have been readimg this && I, kinda in the same situation && I need help I am 6 weeks an 4days but my doctor said im 7weeks && 2 days I was having cramps and spotting the doctor said my cerxics is closed so its alright then I went && had a vaginal u/s which then showed a yok sack with no fetile they then said to come back in 2 days . Am I having a miscarriage ? Or is it to early to see .?
okay im 5ft tall i have never weighed over 100lbs and have a high matabalism and im prenant. this is my second one my first was a misscarraige. i have a belly bump so how far along could i possibly be to already have that and no i havent been to the dr yet.
I am confused. Can you tell if you are having twins by your blood work results? I just had my embryo transfer in my 1st round of ivf cycle and transferred 2 embryo on day 5. I am impatiently waiting for my pregnancy test Nov 15th. Can blood work really tell you if you might be having twins? How soon would they know by ultrasound if its twins?
Omg I had 2 u/s done already and my doctor wasn't able to see anything my uterus looks empty..the 1st u/s all they were able to see was a cyst on my right ovary...today I had the second one and she couldn't see anything.I'm suppose to be 7 weeks preg. Today...I'm so scare what can it be this is my first pregnacy anyone please help me.
I'm 3 weeks almost 4 weeks preggo they did an us and it showed nothing is it just to early or should I be worried again I'm just barely 4 weeks
m haven a problem I am 5 weeks an 5days I have been bleeding for 4 days now I went to the Dr to see what was going on we did the v-ultrasound I took 3 at home test an I went to the Dr an took an blood test an it was + is there any way you can take a blood test an not be pergo I'm so scared.
I am 5 weeks && 5 days && I am spottin. I went to the er last nite && they could only see the sac but nothin n it. Im suppose to go back to the dr sometime this week to see if everythin is okay. My question is how long will I continue to spot && is this a sign that I may miscarry?! Sorry if I posted n the wrong section just wanted some feed back.
I had taken 5 home pregnancy tests and all came back positive...I had a dr appointment scheduled for the following Tuesday.  While at the Dr office, they had me do a pee test, and that also came back positive.....My Dr went and did an ultrasound and saw absolutely nothing...no sac, no baby yet...Dr said not to worry,  but I'm still scared....Dr then wanted me to go get blood work  done because my cycles were never regular, and it may be too early to see anything yet....I have to get another blood test done next Monday so the Dr can compare my Hcg levels...Should I be worried about anything or is it just too early to see anything yet
I'm in the same situation......Dr believes I'm just too early and that's why nothing is showing up yet......Dr told me that usually nothing shows up til around week 5 or so....so, if you are earlier than that, it's probably too soon!
I'm 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant I went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound both vaginal and on my tummy. The doctor told me they only see a sack with nothing in it. I am so worried I pray to GOD that its not an ectoptic pregnancy. I really want to have this baby. The doctor also told me that it still might be to early to see anything well at least that gave me more hope. Today is 1-17-12 and I'm thinking maybe I should wait 2 weeks to get another ultrasound done. Should I go sooner???
We are not GUYS, otherwise we wouldn't be pregnant..LOL
hey i dont know if anyone can help me i thought i was 7 weeks pregnant so i went to have a u/s and they said there wasnt anything there and tht ive had a m/c . i had a m/c last year at 7 weeks and i had loads of pain blood and big clots , this time ive had nothing except a little blood . if nothings there and nothing has come out where has it gone ??!! im worried ive worked it out wrong and im only 4 -5 weeks i only had a guess when my period ended . is this normal can u have a m/c with no clots pain nothing ? hellpppp !! i can except it if ive had a m/c if i have but if my utreus is empty where has it gone ! also 2 days ago my hcg levels were over 2000 now there 665.
I went in at 5weeks and saw mostly the sac and a little black circle inside. The dr said would be the baby. Give it til week 6 or 7. Good luck and congratulations!!!!
I'm 5 Weeks & 3 Days pregnant. I went to the doctor yesterday because I was cramping, not bleeding, and they did a Transvaginal ultrasound. All they saw was a sack, & a open yolk sack. My hcg hormone was around 11,000 they said, which is extremely high. So im kinda kinda nervous. Is this what happened to y'all? Because i'm extremely scared I miscarried.
HI my sister in law went to the hospital last night at 7 (may 17 2012) she called me while she was at work and said she had a very sharp pain in her lower abdomin (abdomen) and had some slight bleeding. she just found out 2 days ago she was pregnant. the doctors ran blood test, took vaginal and abdomin (abdomen) u/s and a papsmeer. they didnt really give any information this is her first pregnancy she is only 19. she is very scared and had loads of questions. they have said shes about 4-5 weeks, but the only thing they could see was a sac nothing inside it. the nurse says they should have seen something in the sac but there was nothing. they wrote down that she was having a threatened misscaragie. she has had one before so she is a little worried. is there anything she should do. they told her her levels were low but that its to early and its a threatened m/c. does anyone have any suggestions we are kind of worried because of how little info we were given and how wishy washy they were being
Hello all,
I wasn't able to read all of your comments but have read several. I underwent invetro fertilization on August 13th and came out with a positive test! I was so excited. I went in yesterday to find the "baby count" and all they could see was the amniotic sac and NO BABY, and NO HEART BEAT...after a small panic attack and reading your comments I'm feeling much better. The doctor said I was probably 4 weeks now. This was confusing to me because the week prior a nurse told me I was 5 weeks heading into my 6th week. Invetro is much different than the regular pregnancies when it comes to calculating weeks and days..I'm actually still unclear of exactly how many days/weeks I am because they fertilize in the lab.
I go back at the end of next week and hope I can see something in the amniotic sac! Prayers please!
Hey so i went in last thurs bc i was spotting and was thinking i was 6 1/2 weeks and they did both kinds of ultrasounds and only say the thickening of my uterus an dmy hcg level was at 200 so i have to go back in on mon to get the level rechecked and they said im either at 4 1/2 weeks or i might be having a miscarriage. Im really nervous, what shld you b able to see on an ultrasound at 4 1/2 weeks??
even i am 8 weeks pregnant.have seen the gestational sac and the yolk sac.my tech feels its a blighted ovum since the size of the sac is unusually big.according to her my pregnancy should be terminated as soon as possible.but my doc has asked me to do a beta hcg test again.i dont want to lose this pregnancy as i have tried for two years to conceive.hopefully i will get to hear some good news.i havent been bleeding nor having any cramps.so lets see.
Dear Liak & Everyone, I am going through a simular situation. I went to my first OB on October 4th where the gestational sac and yolk were present however no fetal pole. I was rescheduled to come back on October 22nd for a 2nd transvaginal U/S where still the same and STILL no fetal pole. I am scheduled to go back November the 1st for the same. Does anyone have any insight on this. I really am unsure of how far I am along due to irregular menstal cycles but this is my 2nd Pregnancy. My daughter is 6 1/2. I am having a real hard time with this emotionally and would just love to hear any simular situations of this. Thanks and good luck to you all!!! Prayers!!!
This is my third pregnancy.  According to the "chart" I should be going into my eighth week.  Last Thursday, I went in for my first OB appointment.  All the ultrasound showed was the uterine sac.  Seeing that empty hole on the screen really freaked me out.  The tec just said "you are done with me" and had my husband and I sit in a waiting room.  The doc took us into an office.  She said it MIGHT be that I'm not as far along as they thought.  They took blood and scheduled me for another ultrasound, which is actually tomorrow.  It's the waiting that is killing me.  Not knowing.  I made the mistake of doing internet research.  There are way too many negative things that could be going on.  I feel horrid and can't sleep.  Everyone says to relax and just wait.  Relax... yeah right.  I would not wish this feeling on anyone.  I don't know what I'm going to do if it's the same tomorrow and I have to  wait again.  
pls can anyone tell me this is ok, i had my embryo transfer on 10/29/12 and i did my first preganancy test 11/9 and repeated the test on 11/12 my doctor said i was definitely pregnant, so i continued with my pregesterone shots, estrace and vivelled dot patches, one week later i started bleeding i didnt not have any cramps prior to that, but when the blood started coming i felt a little uncomfortable. i went to the ER they did an Hcg test the result was 6 573.1 H,the pelvic test showed that my cervix was closed which the doctor said was a good thing but when they did and ultrasound they didnt see anything not even a sac.. the ER doctor said she feared i already miscarried before i got to the hospital but my fertility doctor said he will like to go by his own ultrasound i have an appointment with him on monday.i used only one pad through out and the blood has since stopped. im just so scared.
hello  everybody my name is bevon and  I  am  8weeks  and 6 days pregnant and all they see is a sack and  and they  said thar they can see anything. do you think something  is  wrong
This thread is very old, if you will scroll to the top you will see it was started in 2006.  You will have better luck getting responses to your questions if you ask your question as a new post.
where your hcg levels low and thats why they drew blood for hcg test?
iam going though the same thing right now! I am terrified!! this is my 3rd pregnancy and i did not get bad cramps with my first 2 like this one. BAd cramps, low back pain. doctor said he couldnt see anthing but also expected. and i am also gooing back for a third time to get tested on my hcg levels again. My Question to TURA :D  where your HCG levels not doubling like they should?? But is everything ok now?? Do to my lower back pain, cramps and hcg levels not increasing properly, He is calling it "Threatened Abortion" plz let me know how everything is turning out for you! id like to know even though this pregnancy sounds ruff it can turn out Good. Thank you so much
Hi I Am So Glad I Have Found This I Have Been Havin The Same Prob As Most Of You & I Am The Kinda Person That ALWAYS Thinks The Worst I Thought I Was 6 Weeks Pregnant And I Had Some Brown Discharge On Friday Night Went 2 The hospital al they could c was the sack bt no baby I was so worryd stil am they took bloods and I am dun back 2nite does anybody know how long it wil take 2 get my results back on hcg levels?
Hi everyone I need some advise so I took. Pregnancy test Sunday may 12 and it came out positive I took another one the next day and it also came out positive but I had sexual inter course with my husband on Sunday morning is it possible that's why it came out positive because that same day I had sex and yesterday Tuesday may 14 I went to the doctor to get a vaginal us and he said he couldn't see nothing and according to my last period I should be 6 weeks is that normal he told me the baby might be too small
hcan someone help pls im just over 5 wks pregnant and had a scan dne today but they cldnt c anythin on there my bloods are doubling. but  they think it cld be another etppic as i had 1 in the past and lost my right tube cos of it cld it be a normal pregnancy and they just scanned me to early?
same thing happened to me.   took blood test yesterday and have to go back for more blood work tomorrow.  what was your outcome?
I had the same thing happen. I had my hcg testing done on 11/21 they called yesterday 11/22 and let me know my hcg number was 1.74 and had me go back to do testing again. I just got a call letting me know it went up to 2.64 and set an appt for Monday for more hcg testing and an ultra sound.
im 5-6 weeks pregnant and the dr said all she could see was a sac... but if u wait till you 7-8 weeks youll start to see things trust me I was sooo worried too
in order for u too be pregnant u have to be over 5.0
my last period was may 15th and i took a test on june 7th after feeling sick and vomitting. the test was negative. i took another test on june 23 and 24th both are positve. i have been feeling pain in my lower right abdomin (abdomen) so i went n and they did hcg levels and two ultra sounds. the first us the doc said she thinks the sac is in the wrong place and th next the tech say she doesn't see a baby. I have not gotten my hcg levels back yet i'm stressed and confused i should be about five weeks according to my last period. anyone ever experienced this b4?
Everyone I have a question... On July 9 I was told by my doctor that I was pregnant and 7 weeks long.. Today July 22 I when to a follow up check up and they did in ultrasound and they couldn't see anything the doctor order a urine test and it came back negative.. Has anyone experience something like this?