Pregnancy 25-34 Community
methergine prescribed in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 25 to 34.

i did the home pregnancy test last thursday and it was positive. i visited the doctor who asked me to go back for an echo on Monday because it was early to do it then (couldn't go today because of due dates at work). he prescribed progesterone tablets.
Anyway, on thursday i had some brown spotting which was normal (implantation bleeding). but today i am panicking. i contacted my doctor to say that i am still spotting (light brown) knowing that i am very stressed and i did some hard work during the weekend. he prescribed Methergine 3 times/day.  
i searched for methergine on the web and everywhere they warn not to take it during pregnancy.
I need an answer please. i am very scared and panicking.
Why are you getting an echo? Do you have heart problems? And why did he say he was prescribing methetgine? Its a class c drug meaning they don't know that its does during pregnancy but its also contradicted in pregnancy. How much of it have you taken, i think i might get second opinion or ask Dr alot more questions.
Hey thank you for answering me.  My mistake that I wrote echo. It stands for the French word 'echographie' which means ultrasound. Anyways, I saw my doctor today. He made the ultrasound and no pregnancy appeared. He asked me to stop the methergin and prescribed an injection  'proluton depot'. My next appointment is  within a week.
He explained that the light bleeding is either from implantation bleeding or I m/c slowly... If this latter is the case, it would me my 2nd miscarriage. I am so scared but I guess I should take things easily. After all, stress won't do me any good.