Pregnancy 35+ Community
36 weeks dialated to 2/ thick cervix severe cramping....

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I'm 36 weeks and 5 days I started dialating at the beginning of my 36 weeks,, my cervix is still thick. I'm having severe cramping sometimes so bad I can't even walk,, plus at night time I can't find a comfortable position to sleep in, not to mention I been having lots of mucus like discharge is all this normal??? I never went thru it with my son please I need advice....
Hello Teenmamaof2,

I'm currently nearly the exact same dates as yourself, with my 3rd baby.  The cramping, might just be your Braxton Hicks, but so long as it's not constant, increasing in intensity or duration or doesn't stop or change when you change positions, those kinds of cramps/contractions should be fine.  I personally had two bouts of contraction cramping that I thought I was going to vomit.  I became so dizzy during, and the pain was so intense, I thought for sure something was wrong (going into early labour) - as I had never had Braxton Hicks in that way before.  At that time, I was only around 28 weeks pregnant.  Once they subsided, (only had three bouts within 2 hours) after I changing positions, it stopped all together.
The difficulty sleeping does change with pregnancies, with my first I had so much trouble after week 30, even though I was so tiny and barely looked pregnant (only having gained a total of 18 lbs).  With my DD, #2, I didn't have much trouble with comfort and I was pretty big (having gained 45-50 pounds) - ironic.  
The abundant cervical mucous is very normal, usually an increase in general all throughout your pregnancy is normal (some like me complain it's like Niagara Falls all the time) but if only recently, you could be loosing your mucous plug (not all women lose it in one batch, some lose it more like heavy discharge over several days).  Otherwise, your hormone levels may be changing, as your body starts to prepare for birth, causing more discharge.
Aside from my comments and anyone else's, I'd suggest you speak with your OB as you might want to make sure and be prepared knowing what signs to look for, in terms of pre-term labour.  By now, you should be seeing your OB once a week.  If you aren't, please call your OB or head to your L&D hospital and speak with the nurses to see if you can have an ultrasound or NST (non-stress test), just to ensure everything is as it should be.  They would rather have you checked out and find all is well, than not do any quick checks and miss discovering something like preterm labour.
Worrying is normal, but worrying and not getting any reassurance from the doctors/nurses is not.
Don't take chances, even though all of your symptoms sound very common.
Sincerely,
Sandi