Pregnancy 35+ Community
45yr old & wanting to get pregnant for the 1st time

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I'm 45 & wanting to get pregnant for the 1st time. I learned that I have 1 follicle in each ovary. All else is good. My Fertility Dr. said to give up trying & either use donor eggs or adopt. ANyone had luck with conceiving their 1st after 45? I'll be 46 at the end of the year. I'm healthy, no diseases, & was checked the 2 yrs prior for fertility with no problems. Just had a doting partner who couldn't make up his mind....
Hi i know 2 ladies whom have had babies around 44 everthing went well for them.
Good luck.
Has your Dr. done FSH levels or any other blood work...progesterone levels...etc...?
We did donor eggs - to be honest, you do have an uphill battle but there's at least one woman on this forum who's over 45, having a baby & conceived naturally.  Good luck!
Sorry to post again - the woman I'm thinking of that's pregnant - this isn't her first so off hand I don't know of any woman who got pg for the 1st time 45 and over & had a successful pregnancy.  I do know of one who conceived several times but she miscarried. Wish I could be of more help!
The problem with women our age (42 or over), isn't always that we don't produce eggs, it's that the eggs we are producing our in our reserves.  They call this DOR diminshed ovarian reserve.  It's the quality of the follies we're producing.  They are the leftovers.  The best eggs are the ones we go through when we are younger until all that's left is our reserves, and then finally menopause.  There is always a possibility of one good egg getting fertilized.  We've all heard a story of someone in the their mid to late 40's that finds herself pregnant naturally, or with her own eggs.  But, it's sort of like winning the lottery.  If it were me, I would just go for donor eggs.  You'll be much more successful and save yourself an uphill battle.  I wish you the best of luck and hope your a mommy soon.

At age 42 I tried 2 IVFs and I did get pregnant, but m/c at 6-8 weeks.  I am now going to use donor eggs.  My doctor said my eggs are just getting old and I could keep on trying at my own expense, or go for donor eggs which he gave me a 90% success rate.  It's a hard thing to choose at first and I am glad I tried to use my own eggs, but this is the next step.  You probably have a 2% chance of getting preg. , and at 15 to 20k in the long run I'd use donor eggs and know I'd have a higher % rate.  Good luck, Elizabeth
If you have the $$ or your insurance will cover it, I would try IVF for three cycles with your own eggs and if that doesn't work, I would consider donor eggs.  Just my two cents.
I'm 43 and will be using donor ovules in May.  I did one IVF-ICSI.  I'm math minded and hardly believe in spontaneous miracles.    The stats (visit sart website for the numbers) show absolutly that if you are in good health the way to go is through ovule donors.  Trying it once with your own makes sense, because you have "just in case", but after that, you have to be pragmatic.   I don't know what the outcome will be for me with donor ovules but with my own ovules, for sure I have only have a 5-10 % chance and I wouldn't even bet that at the local casino!    With ovule donors you have a 50%+ chance if all else with you is "fine".  Take a look at the sart stats.  You'll be more convinced about using donor ovules if your goal is to have a baby even if the baby is not genetically "you".   Hard decision, but the numbers speak for themselves.  
I have been in in your position.  I was 45 and actually had normal FSH levels and a good number of follicles in each ovary for my age.  So I had quite an easy time getting pregnant without fertility treatments, but I then miscarried three times in a row at age 45-46.  Getting pregnant is only half the battle; even if you do get pregnant, because eggs at 45 are of very poor quality, your chance of miscarrying would be very high (at least 80%).  Unfortunately you can't really compare the quality of your eggs at age 45 to what they were at age 43 or even 44, and being really healthy doesn't matter much either.  In my case, I finally switched to donor eggs, and I got pregnant with twins after one ivf cycle.  I'm about halfway through the pregnancy, and the babies look perfect.  I love these babies, and I don't care at all that they don't have my genetic material--I'm just so glad something is finally working out.  I wish we had switched to donor eggs earlier, but it took some time to get used to the idea.  I hope things work out for you!
This might help,

* The age of the eggs is very important
    * The age of the uterus carrying the embryos is not important

More here,
[ http://www.****************.com/ivf-age.htm ]
Hello! I am soon to be 43 in March and we are doing a donor cycle.  It is $29,000 package that is guaranteeed or money back. It gives you 6 cycles of IVF w/donor and ICSI. Great facility in MD.   Anyway.....I got preg naturally at 40 and 41 but had fetal demise (fetus heart stopped) at 6 weeks each time. My FSH is GREAT still at a 3.5 but RE said donor egg because we are cash pay and we do not have enough to try natural cycle and donor cycle. Its the package deal or nothin. We did 3 IUI's a couple months ago at a different facility and they failed:(.  Anyway thats my story. OH!! And my mom had me at 48yrs old. All natural conception and her very first preg lol.  My RE was shocked when I told him but.................I'm here without any abnormalities
I'm 43 and just gave birth to a healthy baby boy via IVF.  First child, no complications.  However did miscarry twins last year.  I do feel I won the lottery!!
In 6 months, will try for # 2.
Hi there-
I am new to this forum.  Just wondering how things are going for you?  I know you posted back in Jan. '11, so not sure if you are on this anymore? I think we are at the same facility in MD. My husband and I are in the 6 cycle deal as well.  We just had our transfer last week and will have pregnancy test next Tues.  I feel fine though is it strange to wish I was feeling sick?
As my husband says, 'good thoughts!', so good thoughts to all of you. God bless.
New to this forum so just wanted to say hello. Undergoing a D & C due to some thickening in my uterous. They suggested a mirena but reading online i am concerned it may make me infertile. I know i am possibly too old for another child but i would dearly love one or at least the hope i may have one.  Had three miscarriages about 11 yrs ago and hubby and i broke up. In secure relationship and engaged again . My partner is a bit younger than me by about 9yrs. I am a young 50. I have always wanted another.
Hi all. My wife is 47, We have been married for 23 years. Got two children age 22 and 19.  After the second child we decided to have the tubes tied.   That was 19 years ago. Well last year we went for tubal reversal and found out my wife had abnormal fallopian tubes after the reversal. After 9 months TTC nothing happened. In early July this year we decided to look into ivf.  The timing was great. The ivf began straight away.  We found a donor and the treatment began.  Our donor gas us 19 eggs, 15 fertilized, and 10 left after 3 days. 2 embryos were transferred on 06/08/2011 and 8 were frozen.  We are now on 19/08/2011. 13 days after transfer and my wife has had 5 pregnancy tests. All have shown pregnant,  The last shows 3+ with clearblue. We advised the clinic and they said the results could be incorrect and we will have to wait until the 20/08. Does anyone know if the tests could wrong and show a false result. The total cost for the ivf treatment was $18000.   Would lover to hear from people as we are unsure of the results.    Ps. I'm doing all the legwork as I think you girls have enough to worry about.  
99.9 % of the time if you get a positive then it is POSITIVE. But there is the small chance of it being a chemical pregnancy. Usually you can be pregnant and get a false negative, but usually a positive is just that. Fingers crossed for you. Good luck, and I hope the pregnancy goes well.
Hi I'm 47 and eager to become pregnant. I recently had a miscarriage But I am now back on track. My husband and I are ttc now and we are very positive. To all of you out there who are trying stay positive and know that the good lord is in charge.
I'm 44 and gave birth to my son in may, I also had a baby at 41. I had 2 miscarriages in between, I then had two rounds of acupucture to regulate my hormones,  get my uterus ready for conception and crank my overies up :) Started taking pre-conception vitamins and royal jelly capsuals. Stopped drinking alcohol and caffine which is very important as both of these have a detrimental effect on fertility, good luck :)
Hi!
How are you doing, what is your news?
Hope you got pregnant and gave birth to happy and healthy baby.
Lots of love and hugs to you.