Pregnancy 35+ Community
8 weeks, bleeding, no pain or cramping

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

8 weeks, bleeding, no pain or cramping

I found this site and read some good things, so I wanted to post my experience to get some opinions.

I am 8 weeks pregnant, first one. All has been ok/normal until this past weekend. Saturday after sex (first time since I found out I was pregnant at 3 weeks), I had some light spotting, no pain, so knew it was just normal. Then, Saturday night, I did a lot of walking (nothing strenuous though). Sunday night, I woke up in my sleep and thought I peed the bed. Was actually water (not pee) and little blood, but when I went to the bathroom, there was red blood and blood clot, then all was clear. Since then, just very light brown spotting, not enough to fill a pantyliner or anything like that, just barely there. I called the DR this morning to tell them, and they pulled my file, and just directed me to go get blood work done so can check the levels compared to my first appt back at 3 weeks. I did, and they called me back to let me know they want me to come in tomorrow for a sonogram. I have not had one yet (my next appt was scheduled for 11 weeks to do ultrasound/sonogram, etc).

I am going in tomorrow as planned, and was just curious..if they felt something was wrong, they would want to see me right away, or send me to the ER, right? They wouldnt wait a whole day would they? I'm just trying to ease my mind/thoughts until my appt tomorrow afternoon. Still no pain at all nor cramping.

Thanks! Michelle
I'm in a somewhat similar situation...and actually just logged on here to post my question when I saw yours. I will be nine weeks tomorrow and haven't had any spotting until yesterday afternoon. I have been having brown watery spotting since then...a little over 24 hours now. I called my OB's office, explained the situation to the receptionist, who didn't sound concerned at all (she said she had the same thing with her three pregnancies), and am waiting for a call back from the nurse to find out if they will want to see me or not. I'm not having any cramping either, and there hasn't been any pink or red in my spotting, and I'm definitely not even coming close to filling a panti-liner. I actually thought the spotting had stopped this morning, but it came back after a couple hours. I was more active on Sunday than I have been the whole time since I found out that I am pregnant, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. But it's not like I ran a marathon or anything - I was just on my feet cooking/baking all day when usually on the weekends I've spent most of the time on the couch other than a 45 minute walk each day. Please keep me posted on what happens with your doctor tomorrow. I may be visiting mine as well.
hey nina .. I had spotting which unfortunately ended in miscarriage for me .. but when I asked about it on here .. I got so many responses from people that had spotted a lot but had gone on to have healthy pregnancies, that seemed to be the more common outcome than mine!

if I get pregnant again .. I will definitely make sure that I have scans if there is spotting .. it's probably nothing but it's always good to be reassured

seattleview .. I have heard so many stories about spotting after any kind of physical activity .. it seems to push down any old blood and is nothing to worry about.

I wish you both the best of luck in this anxious time and look forward to hearing your updates with everything being fine!
Sorry your going through a stressful time.  Bleeding during pregnancy is always so scary.  I bled with my now 5 month old son.  I had a hematoma (sp?) which eventually just bled itself out.  It did not harm the baby in any way.  There are so many reasons a women may bleed in first trimester..sex is one, exertion, etc.  None of these things harm the baby or endanger the pregnancy, but because the cervix is so soft right now it is easily irritated.  Letting your Dr. know and having an ultrasound is the right thing to do, and will give you your answers quickly. At 8 weeks you will have a definate answer, not a "maybe, or we have to do a follow up", which is the worst.  As for sending you to ER?  Not usually.  With a first trimester pregnancy, there is nothing they can do either way, so unless you are filling more then a pad an hour with bleeding, they typically will just schedule an appointment to see you right away.  In any event, I am glad you will know for certain tomorrow.  Please let us know how you are doing.  Take care, and all the best.  
I had spotting and bleeding with my first pregnancy from weeks 6-15.(No pain or anything)  Everything turned out fine, my son is now 8.  Not all spotting means gloom and doom.  I hope all turns out well.
I had spotting with this pregnancy through weeks 5 & 6. It was sometimes red, sometimes brown, sometimes pink. It stopped after a while and everything is going quite normally now.

It's scary, but VERY VERY common. definately see your doc, but with no pain, the doc told me that there was no need to panic.
Update:

Thanks everyone. All was fine and saw baby today during the ultrasound. Whew!

That's great news!!! Congratulations and I wish you a healthy remainder of your pregnancy!!!
Great news, hope all continues to be happy and healthy!
I spotted brown Monday-Wednesday (I'm 9 weeks) and also went in for an ultrasound yesterday to make sure everything is alright and it definitely is! My doctor's theory is that the spotting is caused by the growing and stretching going on down there.
Anytime we see spotting or bleeding it is terrifying!  It's hard to think anything but the worse.  It's incredible how many women do though, and at least 1/2 of the time everything is just fine.  Once a healthy heartbeat is detected, your chance of loss drops dramatically, so it is pretty safe to assume that chances are good everything will continue to be well now.  I am so happy for all of you, I remember well how scared I was, but he is 5 months old now and healthy as can be!!!  It will be the same for you two.  
Glad to hear the good news!