Pregnancy 35+ Community
Almost 39, pregnant and terrified

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Almost 39, pregnant and terrified

I just found out I am pregnant.  I am almost 39, and my children are almost 18 and 11.  I miscarried for the second time 3 years ago and had an emergency D&C.  Last December I had a tumor and an ovary removed.  I really never thought I could get pregant.  It has been eleven years without any form of contraception and only one miscarraige (miscarriage) to show for it.  After the ovary was removed, I never ever thought there would be a chance of getting pregnant at this age without fertility or something.

I am terrified to have a baby at this age. I am terrified of going through the same thing again, and I'm terrified of the problems and birth defects that go along with pregnancy when you are past the age of 35.

Help!  I'm really freaking out.
First congratulations!  You are not that old so although age does play a factor not that large of a factor since you are still young.  Looka at this as a miracle and enjoy.  When will you see the DR?
Well, I saw my DR. this morning, and I did bloodwork at the hospital.  They are scheduling me for a sonogram soon to see if it is a viable pregnancy.  Last time was not.

I know it is a miracle but one I am totally not ready for.  I know that once I find out that everything is ok, I will have a change of heart and totally get into it but now, it is just shock.
I know it's hard not to worry, but there lots here who are pregnant and over 35.  This is a good support forum, so feel free to ask any questions, anytime, or to just vent about stuff.  It can be scary being pregnant, but a big blessing!
My kids are 12 and 15, so this will be a big shock to them, but I know they will be my helpers, as well as my DH.  Good luck to you and keep us updated!
I'm 40 and pregnant with a healthy little girl after 2 mc.  It can happen!!
I understand that you are worried.  I am 36 and just now pregnant for first time!!  There are alot of us here to help support you thru this.   Congrats!!!   :)
Thanks for all the postitive comments and thoughts.  I'm really thankful for this forum.
Welcome montie - all of the wonderful women who contribute to this forum understand fear in pregnancy - we are all around anytime you need us - you just have to let us know - best of luck and hope that things go best for you and your family
Congrats to you!!! I tried to conceive since my late teens then gave up around 38. Got pg for the 1st time at 40 and mc in Jan due to a placental separation. They did genetic testing on the baby and he was pefectly normal. There are many women over 35 that have perfectly healthy babies. I was talking to the nurse at my drs office and her best friend just delivered a "surprise" at 52!!!!! Perfectly healthy and not assisted conception! She was in shock she was pg, and everything was fine. Good luck and here's to a healthy 8 more months! :)
dont worry you already raised kids and i bet you did good. and if you look at it in a possitive way, you have grown learned and you will probley do things a little different. wisdom comes with age. I am going to be 39 the 12 of aug. i have 3 kids from 18, 17 and 12 and i have not gotten a possitive resault yet but i know i am pregnant. and i have only had one ovary and one flupial tub since i was 17. good luck and god will be with you and YOU WILL BE FINE.
hey.. i know how you feel... i have a 17 year old.. and now.. a 4 month old..LOL>. I am soon to be 37 also... in between are my 14 yo/11 yo/7 yo/6 yo.. ( I lost a son when he was 9 weeks.. he would have been .. he would have been 8)  

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! i freaked out as well... I look at my oldest. then.. i look at my 4 month old.. its staggering!!!!!!!!!!!!!  im always saying. wow.. i will be this old when he is 20.. wow. i will be this old when he is 30...LOL>. its fine.. in alot of ways.. its made everything better...LOL.. your body will be just fine.. YOU WILL BE AWESOME!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
I AM SOOO JEALOUS.   I had my first baby when I was 41 and everything was fine.  We now have a beautiful and healthy 7 year old.  I'm just very dissappointed that he is an only child.  We tried so desparately for another but it didn't work.  Please be grateful for what God has given you.
WOW! Congratulations!!!! You are not old by any means. I am 46 and trying if you can believe that and I don't consider myself old. You are very blessed . Just pray and believe that everything will be fine and it will. I'II keep you in my prayers. Debra:):)
I am 4 weeks pregnant,and I am 43. It's so good to hear that you had a healthy baby at age 41!  I hear so much about women who are over 35, but not much about women over 40... let alone 43! The first thing my obgyn did was get out a list of all the risks. By the end of that appt I was terrified. It would have been nice if he had some success stories to tell me as well, but on the other side, I understand he's just giving me the stats. I was told that I could never have a baby of my own (even with IVF) so that fact that this one was conceived naturally, with my own egg, is a miracle in itself. What kind of test, if any, did you do for Down Syndrome, etc? You have given me hope! Thanks!
I am 39 and 7 weeks pregnant. My daughter is 18 and in College. My husband and I are hoping for a healthy pregnancy. As scary as it is at this age we planned this carefully. On top of age I have the rh- to have to deal with. I can't believe how scary this is when my first pregnancy went so smooth and I had no fear at all.
Hi there and welcome!  You have posted at the end of a very old post, so you may find you get more responses starting a new thread.  I can tell you however that Monties little boy (his name is Rhett) is a beautiful healthy little guy, around 9 months old now (or close to that anyway) and the apple of his mommas eye.  This story turned out beautifuly.  I know it's scary...I'm 40 and trying to get pregnant now.  It is more then likely you will have a healthy happy pregnancy. You will also find this forum a great place to have questions answered as well as receive a lot of support!  I wish you well!!!