Pregnancy 35+ Community
Am stuggling with whether to have an amnio or not

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi, I am living in Thailand and they really do not have genetic counselling where I live, had a combined test of nuchal screening and blood test.  The results said negative risk for downs syndrome and had 1 in 3000 risk,  but then after it said that based on maternal age alone the risk was 1 in 130. This really confused me. I am 37 years old.

My husband and I are concerned about chromosone abnormalities and not sure if we should have an amnio or not.  We are deciding whether to wait and have the 2nd trimester screening and see what those reults come up with or just have an amnio now instead of later, I was told that it was better to have the amnio around 16 weeks and this is next week. Do the results above sound like a high risk or low risk of downs syndrome. Any thoughts or previous experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!!
Your test results came out really good - I had an amnio 15 years ago w/my last daughter but chose not to have one this time as we used donor eggs.  It's a personal decision especially due to the reasons why you're having it.  I myself have a mild neural tube defect hence the reason for the amnio.  I think your odds are very, very good for no chromosonal abnormalities - too bad there's no genetic counseling where you live - good luck w/your decision.
Over the age of 35 the risk of chromosomal abnormalities goes up.  But a nuchal translucency test reduced that risk for you to 1 in 3000 since it incorporates additional information.  I am 35 and also came up as low risk.  We decided against amnio based on those results.  NT scan is not a perfect test.  Only amnio can give you 99.9% confidence but I thought it was good enough since amnio is an invasive procedure that carries some risks.

Good luck to you!
Giving advice on something like this is such a tough thing to do, as it really is such a personal decision.  I guess it really depends on what you would do if it came back positive (I don't mean that to sound judgemental, its not at all).  I am 39, and I know DH and I have already decided we are having amnio regardless of what the NT etc. say, just based on our age.  We aren't sure what we would do if things came out positive, but we want to know in order to be prepared.  I think you need to do what your instincts and heart is telling you to do.  If you are really that concerned about abnormalities, if nothing else, amnio can put your mind at ease as it is something like 99% accurate.

Whatever you decide, I wish you a healthy happy pregnancy.  Best of luck to you.
did they offer you the quad test?  It is a useful screen for down's, too (not as accuarate as amino) but its a simple blood test.  You might want to pursue other tests first but it is a personal decision and depends upon whether or not you want to wait for more tests or get a definiative answer sooner.

I am 35 and had the nucal translucency test that came back as very low risk.  We opted for no other tests for Down's since personally we wouldn't change the course of the pregancy and we didn't want the assoc. "low" miscarriage risk with amino.  Plus, the blood tests (which can produce false +) might have us worry for another 20 wks for nothing.  

Really, it is quite a personal decision.  I am just sharing mine. Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one for you and your baby.  I hope this helps.  
I just had one last week because we felt that any blood test (AFP, quad, triple) had too high of false positive results and why go through anxiety of things not being true.

I would go to someone who is definately well versed in giving an amnio. They can be risky. Mine went very, very well and no pain minus the inital *****. I don't know what the healthcare system is in Thailand but seeing you have no genetic counselor, that would be a big sign that they aren't equipt to give one or give you accurate results (no matter what the test is).

Good luck to you.