Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.
Okay, so here's some background for those of you who don't know: My last baby was big. Born at 36 weeks, 3 days (my water broke) and was 8.5 pounds. He was stuck for two hours, his shoulders were big...it wasn't pretty. At that time, I *wasn't* diagnosed with gestation diabetes. THIS pregnancy, I have GD. I go every four weeks for ultrasounds to check baby's size. My MD has been saying all along he would likely induce at 37 weeks given the GD and my history of a large baby. SOOOO...I went to an appt yesterday. Saw the nurse practitioner (whom I LOVE and she has been with this MD for ten years). I asked her about getting induced early. She said that the doctor would probably order an amnio to check for lung development at about 36 weeks and, if the lungs were fine, he'd likely induce at 36-37 weeks. GREAT! I was so excited.
BUT...today I get a call from one of the nurses in the office. She said that the doctor wanted to let me know that he had scheduled my amnio for July 20th. That's 38 weeks!!! I asked why so late, and she said she didn't know, she was just relaying the doctor's message. So, I guess I'm 1) panicked that I will have another BIG baby 2) disappointed that I have six more weeks to go and 3) wondering why they would even bother with an amnio at 38 weeks? Aren't babies considered full-term at 38 weeks? Honestly, I don't even think I'll get to 38 weeks if left on my own, anyway.
So, the nurse said to wait until my next appt in two weeks and ask the MD about it. What do you guys think? Am I just being a weakling, a whiner, a baby? LOL.
Hi Tricia, I hear what you're saying...it seems kind of pointless to have an amnio at 38wks considering everything you said, and yes, 38wks is considered full term. Maybe your doctor got mixed up with the weeks and mistakenly scheduled your u/s later than he should have...I would check with him again. You're not whining, you have a legitimate concern. Gook luck! Pam
I wouldn't wait until your next appointment.. it may be too late for them to find open time for an amnio...
I had GD with my second (insulin dependent) I had an amino at exactly 37w and was induced the next day... 7lbs 6oz...
they said the do this because the still birth rate goes WAY up for GD in the last 3 weeks which is why they are so careful. Also had NST twice a week the whole last trimester... anyway call back and have her check with the dr and ask to have it moved up
I always thought babies were considered full term at 37 weeks, so I find it kind of strange too that they would do an amino that late.
A friend of mine had her amino around 35 weeks, because they had to schedule an very early c-section due to placenta previa. But to me that would be the best time to check for lung develop if you and your doctor or concerned about your baby coming out to soon.
I hear ya loud and clear on the big baby thing! Coop was over 8 pounds and I was only around 37 weeks, so needless to say I am preparing myself for another big baby!!! But, truthfully I want him big!! he he he I am having another c-section so I will not have to worry about the same problem as you Tricia.
I would definitely mention this to your doctor again in two weeks. Maybe he was having a "man moment" and did not realize all of your history!!!!!
Believe me everyday makes a difference when we are counting down to the days we can hold the one we love most!!!!!
I really hope you get some better news in two weeks!!! !
I always thought anything over 38 weeks was considered full term, 36 weeks for multiples. I can understand him wanting you to go 38 weeks for maximum development, but I am not sure I would be ok with an amnio at that point. It doesnt' make a whole lot of sense to me. When is your next appointment? I would definately be asking questions. And Tricia, you are sooooo not a whiner. Good lord girl, you want whiny, have a read at some of my posts...lol. You are so close, I am sooooo excited for you!!!!
Okay, thanks ladies. I thought I might be losing my mind. I did call and left a message for either the NP or the doctor to call me back. Hopefully they'll schedule the amnio at least a week sooner.
Melimeli - I'm having to do the NSTs also! It's a pain. I started three weeks ago, twice a week. Luckily they schedule them at lunch time so I don't have to use leave time to go that often. Honestly...I don't know if I can keep this up for another six weeks! Maybe my doctor will take me off work early due to stress...lol.
Rachel - I know what you mean...big babies are SO CUTE. I mean, my son was an adorable little pumpkin. Like you, if I was having a C-section I wouldn't be so concerned. But, having been through the stuck shoulder, double-episiotomy route before, I'm not super-excited about doing it again! And this baby already has FAT cheeks - you can see them in the ultrasounds. And the head circumference is already three weeks ahead of average, and the abdominal circumference is over the 98th percentile. Ack! And this is all with keeping my blood sugar WELL controlled!
No...not at all...you're right...why the amnio at 38 weeks. heck that's considered full-term in most cases. Could that have been the only time an appt was available...I'm not sure. You know in most situations...I seriously doubt that the doctor remembers prior conversations he has with you. Perhpas you need to get in touch with and remind him of things.
Okay...update. I just got off the phone with the NP. She said that the doctor is probably thinking ONLY about the lung development and forgetting that 1) I'm a vaginal delivery and 2) I tend to have moose babies. LOL. She said that because of these things, my concerns are valid (which made me feel better) and that I need to have a heart-to-heart with the doctor at my next visit in two weeks. She said not to worry about scheduling the amnio, as the perinatologist gets people in within a few days. So...hopefully things will work out. I am just very, very afraid of having another big baby and needing the mega-episiotomy again! I think the closer the birth gets, the more freaked out I am getting.
I actually loved the nst... I would go in after work ( I am a teacher ) so it was so soothing for me... they turn the lights way low and hook me up to the monitor... i would hear my little babes hb quietly and it would lul me to sleep... I would get to sleep for a good 1/2 hour haha.. a needed break from kids at that point... then it was back home to my two monkeys and the rat race of doing all it is that us mothers do...
hey... I wonder if the will give me a nst even if I'm not pg.. I could use the peace and quiet hahaha
There has been a couple of times that it was relaxing...but, most of the time, I'm on a schedule and I'm just trying to get back to work on time!
I know what you mean about having that peace and quiet, though...before I was concerned about wrinkles, that was one thing I liked about a tanning booth. LOL. I'd ask for the one with the weakest lights and put on my headphones and sleep for 20 minutes!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.