Pregnancy 35+ Community
Appendectomy in first trimester

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Appendectomy in first trimester

Hello.  I am 36 years old.  This has been one of the craziest weeks ever.  My husband and I are actively trying to get pregnant....have been for 3 months.  We are both trim and healthy and eat a great diet.  I could use some exercise for heart health, but besides that I am good.   I have been taking prenatals for over a year now, as well as DHA.

So, five days ago I was admitted with appendicitis and had a laproscopic appendectomy.    They tested my urine for pregnancy, but it said negative.  However, I refused as many drugs as I could just in case.  I remember them giving me a little morphine before the surgery, anesthesia drugs (have no idea what those were), antiobiotics through the IV, an anti-inflammatory (possibly called Tordal?), one dose of tylenol afterward along with oxycodone.  After release from the hospital I am taking Augmentin (antibiotic) and for the first two days I took a couple (2 a day) oxycodone, but stopped as soon as I was able.  Can anyone give me good insight into the dangers of these things?....because just today I took two home pregnancy tests and they are both positive.  That would place me at only 4 weeks and a day pregnant.

I suppose my biggest concerns are the anasthesia drugs and the anti-inflammatories that I got through the IV.  It is the weekend and I cannot talk to my OB/GYN until Monday, so my husband and I are concerned.  Another thought is that we may have a false positive from the antibiotic I am on, but we found no info on the internet about that.  Thanks so much for any good respone to this!!  :)
I am not a Dr. and agree that he/she is the best person to answer these questions.  But I have to agree that based on what I know, the surgery probably had no affect on a pregnancy that was in such early stages.  I understand your worry, but would bet that all is just fine.  I do hope you update this thread though, as I am interested in what your Dr. has to say.  Guaranteed you won't be the last person in this situation and this thread could prove very helpful to others.

Also, home pregnancy tests are triggered by increased levels of HCG, so as far as I know, there is no possible way an antibiotic or any drug except certain fertility treatments could trigger a false positive.

Congrats to you and I wish you a healthy and happy 9 months!
You should just wait and talk to the dr they can order a hcg test for you at 24 or 48 h and that confirms pregnancy. If you period is late can be from stress.
Do you keep track of your fertile days and intercourse? That can help you determine where u can be with your pregnancy and it might be so early that it should not be affected at this point, but after nidation and when placenta is forming can be concerning. Think positive and you will find out after hormonal measurements what is the true.
Good luck and stop stressing just relax.
Thank you ada_rov.  I estimate that my surgery happened right at the time when implantation was happening.  My husband takes anatomy and physiology classes and his book explains that the implantation takes about 5 days total.  I estimate my surgery would have been on the third day of that 5 day cycle.  So, I think we are ok.  I just wondered if anyone had experienced those specific drugs before or heard very negative things or neutral things.  It is so hard to not worry about every little thing!  Haha  :)

Thank you so much!  Today I woke up feeling positive about being pregnant and less scared.  I suppose we will just have to see what happens.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we can hold onto this little dude.  :)  I will update once I see the doctor!  
I have a friend who found out she was pregnant when she had a pregnancy test befroe an emergency appendectomy.  Her daughhter is now 5 and a bright little thing.

I understand that at the implantation stage the embryo is not getting any blood flow only fluids in the uterine cavity.  So it would not get much if any drugs.  If it has implanted and will grow fine I would say this is a meant to be baby who just had to plan it's arrival at an unforgettable time.
Hahaha, right Sally!  Superrrr babyyy!  

Well, I spoke with a nurse who asked her OB/GYN if I shoud be worried and they said no.  It was a one time surgery early in the pregnancy and the baby should be just fine.  The only thing they are concerned with is my age (36) and whether the pregnancy is normal or ectopic.  They said surgeries can cause ectopic pregnancy sometimes if the egg was just coming down during that time.  I have had  pains (obviously) in my abdomen from the surgery, so it is hard to tell what I am feeling.  So, they took my blood today to verify pregnancy and will take blood again at the end of the week to check progress and hormones.  That is when I will feel much better, knowing it is actually a baby in there.  :)