Pregnancy 35+ Community
Bleeding under Placenta (subchorionic haematoma)

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi ladies. Early this morning while I was making one of my many toilet runs after wiping I noticed a hint of light, very light blood. I was not sure if I did see blood so I went to the ER. Upon getting an U/S I was reassured the the fetus was still viable however I was told by the ER Doc that the sonograghm tech detected blood underneath my placenta, Medically this is called subchorionic haematoma. I phoned my doctor and he bacially said relax for a few days and right now it's just a waiting game to see what my body is going to do. I googled this of course and saw many woman who have experienced similar situations yet still had normal pregnancies; a few ended in fetal demise. But there's nothing like the confrmation from my MedHelp buddies out there. Has has anyone out there experienced anything like this before?
Well, at 12 weeks I had a really heavy bleed-went to the ER and they diagnosed me with "threatened miscarriage". Followed up with the RE the next morning, and they couldn't see anything on the ultrasound. Next week, same thing!  and a couple of weeks later, same thing.  So in all, I had 3 substantial bleeds. I guess technically they never diagnosed me with a subchorionic haematoma, so I'm not sure if my situation is exactly like yours, but everything did turn out ok for me so far.  I'm 34 weeks today, with no further bleeding.  Take it easy, and best wishes.
I was diagnosed with subchorionic hematoma at 5 weeks and bled on and off till 10 weeks.  Luckily, they do not affect your baby.  I am 23 weeks today.

I am sorry about the bleeding.  I know how scary it is.  Hang in there!!
So, bed rest the only solution, since medically nothing else can be done? It's nerve racking to think that It was something that I did to cause this. It is very scary, but I am still hopeful and trying to think positive. Send me out some happy thoughts.
All I can say is please take care of yourself and rest plenty and above please please ensure your doctors do all they can to monitor you in every way.  I don't know what caused mine, there are a lot of theories! I was expecting twins and lost one at 7weeks (known as vanishing twin syndrome) They think that it might of distabilised the uterus in some way.  My son was born prematurely at 23 weeks (and unfortunately died a week later), we still don't know why and certainly don't know if it was caused by the bleed.  However I couldn't bear anyone to go through what I went through and I don't want to worry you, but this is the most precious thing to you and doctors can sometimes be a little complacent.  Don't ever just take their word that all is OK.  

I hope I haven't worried you, and I 'm sure all will be fine as I have heard lots of ladies with very positive stories. I just know that sometimes we need to be educated instead of relying on the doctors to tell us that all will be OK.

With my love and best wishes to you for a continued safe and healthy pregnancy.

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry about your lost
I am 17 weeks pregnant and just found out that I have a 5cm marginal haematoma on my placenta, i had pink spotting a few weeks ago then stopped. I went to get an ultrasound and thank God the baby was all good! She did tell me that I will bleed again and it's normal, I'm guessing that it means my haematoma will burst. My doctor said that a haematoma does not affect the baby at all.
Just wanting to know does anyone else have any similar story? I still can't help but worry.....