Pregnancy 35+ Community
Brain food for baby

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Brain food for baby

I checked out some library books about childbirth. I got one book about diet called Healthy Eating During Pregnancy. It says that Omega 3 fatty acids are "brain building fats" for the baby's developing brain. It's especially important to eat a lot during the last three months of pregnancy when the brain grows so much.  It's also good for the baby's nerves and eyes.  Eggs and certain kinds of fish are good sources.  I bought some canned salmon which is an excellent source.  It said not to eat salmon more than once a week though because it may have traces of mercury in it. My friend Mary who is a dietitian said to buy the Alaskan Salmon because it is less likely to have mercury. It was very cheap and I made salmon cakes which were very good and quick to make. It also said that flax seed and flax seed oil are high in Omega 3 fatty acids without the worry of mercury. Flax seed flour is good to add to foods in place of some of the flour. It has to be ground or crushed to be used by our bodies. Walnuts are another good source too.

I found a good recipe for salmon cakes in Joy of Cooking.
Here is the recipe I used.

Drain and flake:
2 cups canned salmon
Stir in:
1/2 cup cracker crumbs (I used bread crumbs in mine)
2 beaten eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika

Form these ingredients into cakes. Saute' until brown in
Butter

I ate mine plain but she had these recipes for sauces:

Serve the cakes with
Quick Mushroom Sauce, 348.
Celery Soup sauce, 348
To which you have added
Chopped fresh fennel
these are good.. I add diced onion in the mix
lol and you can fry them in bacon fat to really spice them up.
served with mac and cheese and baby peas... yum yum..
thanks for sharing.
breastfeeding a five month old... I still try and eat salmon once a week. not a big fan of it but I like them this way.
Hi, another favorite topic of mine FOOD!   Sardines are especially full of omega 3 fats.  During my pregnancy, when I was at my workplace, my coworkers would always make me close my office door when I ate a can of sardines, cause the smell made them ill!  Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are excellent to eat as well!  Salmon is the best, as long as it is Wild and not farm raised...I ate fish (Salmon, Haddock, Orange Roughy) twice a week...and the sardines were very safe  for consumption, so I would eat probably about 3 or 4 cans a week.  It really is so important to eat healthy during pregnancy, it really benefits your little bundle of joy!  
Swampy sniffs out recipes like a hound dog finds marmots.

You could also get fresh salmon, marinate it in some citrus and poach it.

Swampy would use olive oil rather than butter for the saute, then fold the olive oil into a marinara sauce. Along with some good linguine, this makes a meal that is fantastic.
Thanks so much for the info.  I know canned Tuna is a good one as well, although again not more then once a week due to possible mercury exposure.  For all of us currently trying to conceive its important starting with that healthy diet now.  I found out that things like caffeine, alcohol, smoking, etc. can dry up your fertile mucus, especially for those of us on clomid.  Healthy body ahead of time makes for a better chance for a healthy pregnancy!!  Good luck all...
Thanks for all the comments, ladies. I also read somewhere that the breastfed baby continues to get the omega 3 fatty acids through the mother's milk, so it is important to continue eating it while nursing too.

Swampy, your recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks!