Pregnancy 35+ Community
Braxton Hicks?????

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Braxton Hicks?????

I am 26 wks and 2 days. I am having my 4th girl, so I should remember these things, but with my last pregnancy it was such a stressful time I think I have blocked out most of it. Anyway I am having what feels like tightning in my uterus. I can't remember if this is normal at 26 wks or not. I had pre-eclampsia with my 1st daughter and she was born at 36 weeks, and the other 2 were born at 37 wks, the doctor just wants her to get to 36 weeks at least and I quess with being at home all the time I am having toooo much time to worry. Has anyone else experienced this early on?
from what I understand it is normal as long as they don't happen too often or too regular.  I've read if they happen more than 4 or 6 times an hour to contact your dr.  Some references say 4 some say 6.  

Good luck to you!!
Oh one more thing.  If you drink lots of water and lay down for a bit, sometimes they will stop.  
Braxton Hicks can start as early as 6 weeks, although most women won't feel them until much later in the pregnancy. Because this is your 4th, you will probably notice them more and a little earlier than a first time mom. With my 2nd, I noticed them more often than my first during the last trimester. With this pregnancy, I'm 20 weeks and think I may have felt a couple of them already, but they have only been about once a week, very infrequent, a very short, painless tightening of the uterus and then it's gone. Tanker Chic is right, drinking water and laying down on your left side should make the go away, anything more than 4 in an hour, you should call your doctor right away.
Tanker is right more than 4 an hour call your DR.  I ended up in the hospital with preterm labor and had been having irregualr contractions.  good luck
I had braxton Hicks all the time with my first pregnancy,(went into labor 2 weeks early.) Then my second child I was having them a lot and at 32 weeks I was at  the doc and she noticed they were going on, hooked me up to a monitor and I was in actual labor! I had no clue, just thought it was the braxton hicks again, she sent me to the hosp, they gave me shot of something to stop contractions, I shook all over the bed because of the side effects, they finally stopped, sent me home on bed rest for 10 days, then they induced me at 38 weeks because he was a big baby, 8lbs 14 oz two weeks early. So yes keep an eye on how many you are having and call your doc.
Everyone is different and every pregnancy is a little different.  I started really early this time around.  My Dr says anything over 4-6 per hour, or if they are getting progressively stronger to call.  He says you should be able to move positions or drink extra water and that should help.  Mine have been pretty regular in the evenings and night for almost 4 weeks but I figured it was just b/c there's two in there.  I know they're not the real deal b/c you KNOW when they are.  Mine are just tightening of the stomach and kinda makes me a little out of breath.  I'm getting use to them now.

Dottie
23 weeks twins
my friend and i had this very conversation today as we are both pregnant i'm 25 weeks and she is 27 weeks, we are both on our 2nd pregnancy, and both felt the same as you, she asked her Dr who said this is normal so don't panic just yet
I have felt some even as early as iam...21w   just mild ones. That is one feeling you just never forget! they went away... this was a few days ago.
perhaps you should just lay down and rest some. I too am not working with this one and loven it.. I fill every move and KICK. I dont think I felt 1/4 of my first child because of working full time.  ugh.... or perhaps  because of my age!!?  and Im a Lazy thing!!! geez... I need to get off this computer and do something productive!!
good luck to you
I think I feel some too and it's been worrying me a little...  Is it when you feel your uterus tighten and it stays that way for several seconds? And it's not too comfortable..doesn't hurt but it's not the greatest feeling in the world..
yea that sounds like it. I actually had an appointment today and the doctor told to watch the frequency and take it easy and drink lots of water. They also did a new test that is out to see if I was going to go into labor in the next 2 wks, (keeping in mind I am only 27 1/2 weeks and have a history of preterm labor and this is 4th baby), but they called a little while ago and said it was negitive. So far so good.... But it is really nerve racking you know? Good luck and God Bless you and the little one!!