Pregnancy 35+ Community
Breech baby at 32 weeks

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Breech baby at 32 weeks

I had an u/s today and my L'il Monkey is still breech (has been throughout the pregnancy or at least at all of the ultrasounds!).  I'm at 32 weeks and getting concerned that there might be a problem...has anyone else had a breech baby throughout the pregnancy and the baby turned in time?

Reading the internet has only heightened my concern without really giving me any comforting words, so I came back to the place that I know =)

Thanks for any input!
I am also at 32 weeks. At this age they still have room to flip all over. Its too early to worry about that. Mine was head down last week and head up this week. Isnt it hard not to read everything on the internet? I have scared myself senseless doing that!!!! Good luck and congrats!!!
I haven't experienced this myself, however it is something that has come up here from time to time.  I agree with limpet, at this stage they can (and often do) still flip.  If baby is still breech in a few weeks (I'm not certain of the time frame) there are things they can do to flip him/her.  Worst case scenario baby is born breech, but hospitals and Dr.'s are so accustomed to dealing with this now that it doesn't present a problem.  That is one of the wonderful things about ultrasound...they know in advance what to expect and can take the appropriate steps.  Soooo close.  It's just so exciting isn't it!!  
Some babies will not turn head down until the 36th week.  After that many times there is no room left for them to do the big turn. If baby is still breech then your doctor may recommend that they try and turn them for you, an aversion.
Thanks, girls! I scheduled an appointment with my chiropractor....I think that just being able to do 'something' makes me feel better! I am not good at sitting by and letting life happen..hahaha!

I also found a number of tricks to do at home to help the baby flip, so I'm going to try those! Part of the reason that I would like him/her to move is that I am in a decent amount of discomfort on my right side rib cage area (both front and back) and I can know see that it's because there's a head, two feet and two hands there!!!  =)
This is a very rare occurrence, but my friend's baby was breech around that time as well. She went in to have her turned and ended up having an emergency c section. As it turned out, the umbilical cord was only 7 inches long! Luckily both my friend and her daughter came through fine. =)
They move around, mine was transverse, then breech, then head down, then transverse, then head down.......  
Don't worry too much yet. Mine didn't flip until 33 weeks. I've heard of babies that don't flip until the last minute.
My little girl didnt flip untill almost 37 weeks. She had been breech my entire pregnancy. I was planning on having her manualy flipped but luckly didnt need to:-)
Thanks for all the positive stories.  It's so hard when it's your first pregnancy and you have no experience to rely on! It makes this site invaluable ;)
I myself would not recommend doing any tricks to try and make him flip.  My son was breech my entire pregnancy.  At 38 weeks I had to had a version, where they manually flipped him.  It was done in the OR and it was monitored by ultrasound and they needed to watch his heartrate.  They were able to flip him and he stayed down and I was able have a vaginal birth.  I was monitored for another 4 hours to make sure everything was okay.  
My water broke at 36 weeks with DD and she was breech (I think she was sunny side down too) or whatever they call that!  :))  when they did the c-section, but I knew I'd be having her c-section anyway-  DS was delivered at 37 weeks, and was head down.
My first was transverse until 36 wks then she went head down.   I wouldn't worry yet.
My close friend is 37 weeks and her baby JUST turned head down from breech. She is having a planned C-sect so I'm not sure how much it matters in her case, but thought I'd mention that. Another friend of mine had a similar issue, being about 35 weeks before her little girl turned. All was well and she was able to deliver vaginally.
P.S. If the tricks you're referring to have to do with trying certain postures (like hands-and-knees, or the yoga pose "downward dog"), then I think you are totally safe. Those are time-tested and have worked for a LOT of women for a long time. :)
The 'tricks' are all perfectly safe and natural...using a CD to play music on my lower abdomen to get the baby to come to the music; using an ice pack on the top of my uterus (which actually helps with the discomfort and I was given that advice for any position that the baby is in that isn't comfortable for me...); even the chiropractor visit is perfectly safe as it is just adjusting me not the baby!

Obviously the baby can still flip back to breech (if he/she even moves in the first place) but again, from a comfort standpoint, I'd like the L'il Monkey to move a bit out of my ribcage! :)

I start my OB appts every two weeks now, so I am sure that they will be on top of any actual concerns.  I know that if they need to flip the baby, they will hook me to monitors and u/s to watch the baby the whole time, as their method is a little more aggressive than the things that I am talking about!

I am very happy to hear all these positive stories, though...again, being the first pregnancy, I didn't even know that this was fairly common!
I don't mean to be a downer, but not sure if the baby moving will help with the ribcage issue.  My little man is head down and not only does he give me some pretty good kicks in the ribs, I am pretty sure he has managed to get his toes wedged in there or something...sigh, I am such a whiner...lol.
DO NOT DO A BREECH VERSION!!!  The baby is in breech for a reason.  I really believe so.  If it doesn't flip, have the c-section.  It is the safest thing to do.  My first baby was breech at 36 weeks.  I was dead set on having a natural birth, but life doesn't always work the way we want.  I decided to have the breech version so that I could go on to have a natural birth.  I was all scheduled.  There were going to be several doctors and interns to watch since many are not done that often. It was going to take two grown men to work at pushing the baby around. I was dressed and ready to go at the hospital. The er was prepped for a possible emergency c-section.  I remember like it was yesterday. They were doing an ultrasound. I asked if the cord might be around my baby's neck.  They didn't notice anything around the neck on the ultrasound. I then had something inside me tell me to not do it.  Imagine everyone, the doctors, the interns, the surgery room all ready to go.  I told them I didn't feel right about it. I canceled the procedure, with several people who looked not too happy with the last minute change.  THANK GOD I CHANGED MY MIND.  I went in a week later for a scheduled c-section.  When they were getting my daughter out, my doctor said thank goodness we didn't do the version.  My daughter had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck 4 times and around her body 3 times.  He had to unravel her like a ball of yarn.  She surely would have died if I had done the version.  She was breech because she was all wound up and couldn't unwind in there. I am not saying that this is the case for you or anyone else, but is the risk worth it?  They had the ultrasound and told me there was no compromise around the neck. And I was at a top birthing hospital. What ever is safest for the baby and you is most important. Our expectations as to the perfect birth plan may have to change.  My daughter is 8 years old now.  I went on to have another repeat c-section with my second daughter who is now 5.  All is well with her and I had no complications with the surgeries.  I just worry whenever I hear about versions.  Too many times complications arise, and is it worth the trauma?  I hope everything works out the best for you.
My daughter was breech at 36 weeks.  My OB tried a version but DD did not BUDGE!  It was VERY painful.

My OB, at Johns Hopkins, suggested I try Moxibustion, she said the midwives swore by it.
http://www.acupuncturetoday.com/abc/moxibustion.php
All it takes is burning the herb, mugwort & touching it to the soles of your feet.  Super low-risk "trick" - couldn't hurt.

Unfortunately, I never got a chance to try it.  I went into labor 2 days later & had a c/s.

Good luck!!